Why didn't Gandolph just use an eagle to destroy the Ring?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by RavenRock, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Darth Rave

Darth Rave Sith'ari

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It would have been much easier for Harry to just use a port key to take the ring to Mustafar and throw it in the lava there.

2. Mord

Mord The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    If that was the case it would be a 15 minute show and not a trilogy. =P

3. leo_616

leo_616 home is where hell is

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    maybe its depends on how strong your will is to the distance of the ring means wether you get corrupt sooner or later

soz i clicked wrong button and i was on page 2 not 5:confused:

(Good question, but remember Frodo was corrupted because he carried that ring so long, so for a short eagle ride, it wouldn't have corrupted him so much. And I don't know, but would it have made a difference if he put it in a bag instead of hanging it around his neck. Seems like the closer the ring is to you, the more it corrupts you. I mean Bilbo wasn't that corrupted by it, and he carried that ring in his pocket for more than 60 years, correct?)

thats what i was trying to answer

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  4. kevis

kevis Barbarian

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it's because if an Eagle had taken the ring it would have been corrupted and fallen under Sauron's influence or worse became a Dark Lord! I know its an absolutely ludicrous thought, but it is hilarious when you think about it! Beware the Dark Eagle of Mount Eyrie! (snicker!!!!)

5. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -2
    ok..... I am still in state of shock.... how the f**king serius are you in this topic?!?!?!?!

6. kevis

kevis Barbarian

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lady of the Golden Wood: "ok..... I am still in state of shock.... how the f**king serius are you in this topic?!?!?!?!"

I'm sorry if my attempted jest rubbed you the wrong way, but I have a very unbridled imagination that needs feeding sometimes, not to mention that I don't like to take myself too serious all the time. It gives me a headache. Fortunately, I'm sure there are some people on this forum who will enjoy my attempt to lighten the mood of this all too serious discussion.

Anyway, if you truly want me to give you a serious answer on this subject, the truth is I believe that the option did not exist for Gandalf to give the One Ring to the Eagles. This is because according to Tolkien, the Eagles are quasi-divine beings (not unlike Angels) who are autonomous of the goings on in Middle-Earth. It is rare for the Eagles to involve themselves in the affairs of the races of Middle-Earth. It is my guess that whatever purpose they had in the world it did not include fascilitating the destruction of the One Ring. Is that a serious enough answer for you? If it isn't, then I apologize. It's the best I can do.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  7. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -2
    Ok, shock has warn off, the thing is, I do know in RL and have known people who would ask that. So I was torn between wanting to laugh from a vidoe I had been sent in the past by a friend and wantting to tare the topic to peices. I left this site and became inative due to the members who took topics like this to be something sirius(sp).

And very good thinking behind that answer, you are someone, that if I had more feer time, I would come back to post with.

8. kevis

kevis Barbarian

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well said. We could always use a little reality check every now and then. Even in the world of fantasy.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  9. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    Let's not forget that at the end frodo could not bear to throw the ring into Mt Doom.
    Golumn had to bite his finger off and fall in with it !
    Who's to say that anyone flying on the Eagle would have been able to part with it, what would the eagle have done then.Maybe flown upside down and deposited them into Mt Doom the hard way , ha ha

10. Raraldor

Raraldor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    well the why didn't gandalf use the eagles to carry all of them to Mt.Doom?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  11. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +641 / 3 / -1
    the ring might also have affected the eagle as well - remember that it has a radious of influence beyond the one wearing it as well. So even if the rider were a hobbit on a faster journey (and thus probably able to just overcome the will of the ring) the eagle might not.
    Also with such a direct method the great eye might have focused its attentions on the ring - which could very well have boosted its influence at such close quarters

12. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 2 / -0
    *sigh*....

I think it's also clear that the Eagles really didn't want to have any part in this war. It's not their Way. Besides, I think that would mean the Pantheon of Gods would have meddled in the entire affair and I think they decided that the most meddling they were going to do was sending the Istari. After all, the entire matter could have been decided upon by Devine Intervention in the first place...

When the Battle was over, the situation changed, however. I think the Eagles, too, marveled at the achievement of these small creatures and, at Gandalfs request, agreed to safe them from their perilous location.

On the other hand, I think that the eagles would have been intercepted. Sauron would have expected Gandalf to pull one of those and permanently keep an Eye on the airways around Mordor. After all, he, too, had a formidable airforce.

Secrecy and surprise was the key factor to the victory. Eagles are hardly subtle, are they?

To add to that, I think an Eagle actually carried a person wearing the Ring of Power; and it didn't corrupt that eagle either (although it must be said that, with Sauron, the Ring too gained power since. And proximity also seems to weigh in).

13. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +641 / 3 / -1
    Agreed - but that flight was much shorter I think than the one into mordor.
    Also I do agree eagle is just not subtle - its easily spotted and not all that hard to take down either - and if you can't take it down there is a good chance that you could get the rider off its back.

As for war not being their way - Gandulf could have convinced them I suspect- if not as the grey then as the white for it was his talent. Radagast could probably have done the same if he were minded to, but for some one with an interest in the wilds he was very much a back player in the game at the end

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    At the end of the day it was Tolkiens story and his choice.
    Maybe the eagles could not get too close to the ring because of what it was.
    As soon as Frodo dumped the thing they came for him.

15. Hammerheart

Hammerheart New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Because as soon as the eagle grasped the ring in it's talons, it would technically be on one of its 'fingers' and then we'd have a crazy invisible eagle flying around Middle Earth!

I'm kidding...Elan sums it up pretty well...

But the question also kind of misses the entire point of the story...

16. --ω¡ζ∂Яđ--

--ω¡ζ∂Яđ-- Sailor of silver skies

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    that made me laugh

17. OfTheShire

OfTheShire Addo

I live in Chicago currently, but I'm from Grand Ra
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In addition to this, Frodo is actually fulfilling something akin to a prophecy on his journey. Maybe the only way for the ring to be destroyed is through an epic quest, struggle, and the rest of Middle Earth joining together, bringing unity and camaraderie. It's not just about this one ring, it is about all of Middle Earth.

18. MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses MeltingRoses

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you here. I bet the Ring could have corrupted the Eagles plus don't they at some point in the FOTR say something about how the Eagles would only bear Gandalf a little ways for soem reason or another?

Maybe they felt like it wasn't their war and they didn't want to get wrapped up in it in the chance of losing their own people. The Eagles were never given Rings of Power unlike the dwarves, elves, and men.

19. Forve

Forve New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that's actually a major plot hole not only in movie but in books as well

1. yeah surely Eagles are proud and only let gandalf ride them because he saved their king from arrow ( as far as i remember), but that really is not much of an excuse, actually that is no excuse at all. As far as i remember from silamrillion eagles were servant of one of the Valars (probably Manwe), so unless valars are complete assholes (which i am not really sure about, though i have my doubts) or eagles are complete retards (which i am not sure as well, because we are too proud to save middle earth doesn't sounds like something coming from most intelligent being).

2. would not make much story
    well defiently the movie would have been somethin like Jonathan Livingstone movie, bird flying for 3 hours, but well it actually a joke not any realistic excuse, its not like they all sat before the beggining of book or action and decided not to use eagles cause it would be too simplistic and boring, instead send two hobbits into most dangerous place in middle earth, yes that would be fun

3. It would corrupt ringbearer anyway,
    well that is probably something closest to explanation, but still doesn't works too good
    it took considerable amount of time for ring to corrupt frodo and it only took full control of him at the last moment. I can imagine that the speed eagles are flying compared to hobbit feet is same as comparing modern day airplane with bicycle, so ring would have not time corrupting frodo ( unless it was saving all its power for the last shot, which is really ridiculous)

Now the only reasonable explanation i came out with is that, even though Eagles are king of all birds, there are some ( Ravens ? Crows? i dont remember) that serve Sauron ( as well as to Saruman), so they would have noticed a bunch of eagles with humans on them as soon as they began journey, and sauron would have had much more time to better prepare for an Air invasion, than just to send couple of Nazguls. But than again sending two hobbits too mordor is not less risky so I still stick with the theory that the Eagles is the major plot hole in book and Movie

P.S I've just read first page and probably on the rest of pages some would have suggested same ideas as i did, so sry for repeating (if i did) but i really dont feel like reading 5 more pages just now :D

P.P.S sry for terrible grammar :D

20. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +627 / 1 / -1
    1. The eagles are said in The Silmarillion to have been "devised" by Manwë Súlimo, leader of the Valar, and were often called Eagles of Manwë. They were sent from Valinor to Middle-earth to keep an eye on the exiled Ñoldor, and on their foe the evil Vala Morgoth. The Eagles fought alongside the army of the Valar, Elves and Edain during the War of Wrath at the end of the First Age. THE VALAR ARE NOT PERMITTED TO AFFECT THE COURSE OF DESTINY. AS SERVANTS OF THE VALAR, THE EAGLES THEN CANNOT AFFECT DESTINY AS PREDETERMINED BY ILLUVATAR.

2. or perhaps you are incapable of appreciating high fantasy, preferring dubious quick fixes to complicated and world-influencing problems?

3. The ring corrupts as it sees fit in order to survive. Not only this, hobbits are stated time and time again to be an exception to the rule when it comes to being corrupted by the Ring. Frodo was fated to resist the temptation of the ring, but even he could scarcely have survived were it not for the help and guidance of elf-lords, wizards, and ALL THE RACES OF MIDDLE EARTH UNITED. eagles would have been no different. Even Frodo was unable to so much as think of damaging the ring, within an instant of so much as seeing it, if you recall the scene in Bag's End where Gandalf challenges him to cast it into the fire. Should the same have occurred with the eagles, and with Sauron so nearby already, it would have spelt the end of all Middle Earth. Think about that for a minute.

4. The two hobbits were pretty much the ONLY chance the fellowship had of destroying the ring without getting Sauron's attention. Even the entire Council was afraid of Sauron, with all the lords of old and immortal beings among them. Any so-called solution which attracted the attention of the Dark Lord would immediately end in death and the destruction of Middle Earth. Sauron was powerful enough that simply the presence of one of his lesser strongholds could strain the ability of all the wood-elves combined. his orcs were numerous as the sands on the seashore. sending in even all the Eagles at once would have been suicidal. The only, and i do mean the ONLY, solution was the indiscreet tiny little hobbit solution.

Search tags for this page

gandolph

why cant the lord of the rings destroy ring with eagles
why didnt eagel destroy ring