Why did the Jedi want to bring balance to the Force?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Ganesh Ujwal, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Ganesh Ujwal

Ganesh Ujwal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    During the Prequel trilogy, the Jedi wanted to bring balance to the Force, in accordance with a prophecy. There seemed to be a general agreement that this was a 'good thing', but a disagreement with the assertion that Anakin was the one to do it.

Why did the Jedi Council believe it was good to bring balance to the Force? The Republic was mighty (in theory), the Council was established as THE source of Force users, the Sith were thought extinct, and the number of Dark Jedi was apparently very, very low.

It seemed, for all intents and purposes, as if the Force was strongly imbalanced in favor of the Light side...so why did the Council want to 'balance' it?

2. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0
    i think Cascador or Padme' could answer this better, but i'll have a go.
    according to Lucas, the force is in balance in it's light state, the presence of palpatine threw the force out of it's "natural" state, this in turn leads to the jedi losing their ability to see future events, as evidenced by mace and yoda's discussion on informing the senate that their ability to use the force has diminished.

this loss of power would have been enough to show the jedi that the force was out of balance, hence their desire to rectify the situation

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    The Council sensed darkness in the shadows. They didn't know there were sith but they were aware that the dark side was doing things which would likely mean Sith.

Because Sith are so few they operate a lot in secret; the Jedi likely saw this and also saw that the Republic was becoming decadent which would only increase the chances for evil/darkside to spread.

The prophecy was something predicted before, they were thus aware of it and that someone like Anakin could come along. Chances are that meant many suspected that dark times were to come, which might have prompted them to deny that Anakin was the chosen one (because at that point they are admitting that very dark and nasty times are to come and no one likes that).

4. Anakin

Anakin God Emperor

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,158 / 5 / -0
    You seem to forget that The Old Republic was rotting at the core before Palpatine even got there. That's one of the major points of The Phantom Menace. Look how easily one corrupted Senator was able to weasel his way into power. There was not a balance at all. The Jedi were good at heart but had become too 'dogmatic', as Palpatine stated in Episode III. He may be the villain, but a great villain knows when you use lies and truth to confuse the hero. He told the truth there, that was one of the major problems for the Jedi. They were so blinded that they did not realize a Sith Lord had come to power over the Republic. So, no, the light side was not the stronger here. The Republic was already dying long before Episode I. The prequels merely document the last breath of the Jedi Order and The Old Republic. And remember, evil, or the Dark Side, is not reliant on Force users. Evil and good is in everything, not just Sith of Jedi.

The Jedi did seem to be confused over what balance meant. It can be interpreted in several ways, but the actual way was what Luke eventually fulfilled. I know everyone points to Vader destroying the Emperor as being this act, it wasn't. Vader/ Anakin was The Chosen One by bringing about the balance, in the form of his children, specifically Luke. In Return of the Jedi, Luke was only able to defeat Vader by using his anger. He was enraged and that was why the Emperor was delighted and thought he finally had a replacement for Vader. Luke, however, came back, atoned with his father (comparing their hands and realizing the path ahead of him), and said no. He didn't give in to his hate, he only used it to help him but then reined himself in and focused on the good. This is what balance is all about. It's about avoiding extremes. I don't think the Jedi would have liked this. You can see how Obi-Wan and Yoda constantly tried to stop Luke from saving his father, but Luke was right in the end.

5. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    Considering the Emperor I don't know if he wanted a replacement for Vader or not. Whilst I don't think he'd suicidal I suspect that his concept of victory would be the overall continuation of the Sith. His death or Vaders at the hands of Luke - either one would have suited him so long as it was done with anger, hatred and down the path to the dark side.