Why did Dobby truly help Harry?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Nienor, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Did Dobby the elf aide Harry Potter in order to save his life? Or did he help Harry as a way to win his freedom?

Personally, I don't think Dobby helped Harry Potter for purely altruistic reasons. I think he may have had thought of the future and possible freedom from his abusive master.

2. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I think Dobby helped Harry for the good of the wizarding world, himself and Harry. If Voldemort killed Harry everyone would be in a lot of trouble (esp after hearing the prophecy in book 5!).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2003
  3. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    True, Arwen. Probably from overhearing conversations in Malfoy's household, Dobby understood the danger in the situation. But at the end of the book/movie, when Dobby is leaving Hogwarts with Malfoy; he looks at Harry as if he expects him to do something.

Dobby, like most everyone, expects that his good actions will be rewarded. (ie Freedom) He thought all along that if he did the right thing, good things would happen to him. (karma) Not saying there is anything wrong with that attitude. Just that it exists.

4. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I don't think Dobby, at the time, ever expected to be free, it's just not something that crosses a house elf's mind. I think the "look" Dobby exchanges with Harry in the movie was more him expressing his fear of what would happen to him when he got home. I don't think a house elf would ever expect any good deed from a wizard. In the beginning of the movie Dobby couldn't believe when Harry asked him to sit down...being granted freedom wasn't something Dobby ever fathomed.

5. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    But Dobby is the only house elf who seems to appreciate his freedom. Winky hates being freed by her master (who IMHO isn't much better than Malfoy) I think that all along, Dobby wanted to be free of his master.

6. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Dobby appreciates his freedom after being freed...and I'm sure he wished for a kinder master, but I don't think it is something he ever expected to happen.

7. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    But typical house elves don't long for freedom. They seem to love to serve people. I must be cynical or something, but I just can't believe that Dobby helped Harry to his own detriment, just for altruistic reasons.

8. Riona

Riona Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    who wouldn't of liked to be freed after beeing a servant to the Malfoys and haveing to look at Drocos face most of the time being kicked around i feel sorry for him really.

9. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I felt very sorry for Dobby and house elves in general. It must be a hard life being an unpaid servant to an unappreciative family. Dobby is a good character and a very loyal friend to Harry. He's very easy to like.

10. frodogurl49

frodogurl49 Jedi Sabermistress

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I believe that Dobby just helped harry to help the good wizards. It didn't seem to me that he was helping harry to help himself.

11. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Dobby knew his masters were evil and did things that were wrong, and realizied that because his personality is good and pure. He risked punishment to do something that he knew was right because his morals would not let him ignore whet was going on.

I think Dobby did not have ulterior motives, he truly believes that house elves inferior (despite loving his freedom), and was astonished that a wizard would help him. It brought him to tears.

12. Fingon

Fingon The High King

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Its possible that Dobby just killed two problems with one shot. He knew that if he helps Harry, then its gonna be good. But then remember that he too had magic power, popssible foresight?

13. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    As Hagrid said, "Yeah, well, yeh get weirdos in every breed. I'm not sayin' there isn't the odd elf who'd take freedom, but yeh'll never persuade most of 'em ter do it - no, nothin' doin', Hermoine."

I assume its House Elf instinct to help and clean for wizards.

14. World builder 316

World builder 316 Ceasar of the Hobos

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I agree with ^. Dobby was a weirdo and wanted to help the wizards, not because he wanted freedom, but because he is good at heart. No other house elf would have. I think Dobby would have helped him even if he was the slave of a good family.

15. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The problem with u Nienor, and those that agree wit u, as well as Hermione is that u people are Homeocentric. You think like human, and expect that all other races to do it as well. Well, sorry to break the spell, but that is like askin a human to think like a fish. Impossible.
    It is within the nature of a house elf to be subservant, and obeying. I belive that it is actually their purpose to be servants. Look at the books, Dobby might be free, but his working conditiones are hardly any better then any other Hogwarts elf.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  16. World builder 316

World builder 316 Ceasar of the Hobos

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  17. demeter

demeter New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    well i think that dobby was hoping to one day serve harry and to honour him because harry would treat him with great respect and would free him... dobby would not go he would stay with harry at all times... also just a wild question why would dobby try to save harry when malfoys father goes to attack him? if dobby was only looking for freedom then he could just walk off and leave harry because he got what he needed but dobby(even if he got killed) stood up for harry and savced his life also risking his own... so yeah dobby was looking for a listening ear and a friend and mayb in the back of his mind wishing for freedom but not expecting it...

18. colonel1

colonel1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi im new and i thoguht id spam so here it is

19. demeter

demeter New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    please dont spam theres no point in spaming bcoz you just take up space... this is a harry potter part and talk about the topic...

sorry but yeah why do oyu think dobby truly helped harry???