Who's your muse?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Arkonian Doyle, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I've Always had myself being inspired by certain musicians.
    All that I've written wouldn't have been the same without the music they've made and I feel like -if my book were ever to make it on an international level - I'd want to reach out to them and thank them personally for what they've meant for me on so many levels.

My muse will forever be Doughie Maclean, there's no discussion in that. Do you guys have certain songs/plays/books by anyone in particcular you know...someone that shaped your art?;)

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    My only muse is the female form.
    No meadow so pretty, no sunset so breathless as a woman's body.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I think it's beautiful, you're talented:rolleyes:

4. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +778 / 4 / -1
    The last time I wrote a goodly bit, I found myself listening to Welicoruss. But for me, it kinda depends on the mood I'm in

5. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +725 / 6 / -2
    Bob Dylan, Laura Marling, George Harrison, and Johnny Cash.

Lots of others, obviously, but those are my big musical and lifestyle influences at the moment. As a teenager it was definitely Conor Oberst.

6. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,116 / 3 / -0
    Definitely my wife!:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +625 / 1 / -1
    Howard Shore and John Williams :)

8. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,116 / 3 / -0
    John Williams is beyond amazing. Howard Shore. Meh he's fine. He made some memorable themes for LOTR for sure, but beyond that?

9. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +625 / 1 / -1
    I was mostly thinking about Lord of the Rings when I said Howard Shore :) I've watched and rewatched the extended edition trilogy, and it's never gotten old on me.

10. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +725 / 6 / -2
    John Williams just steals all his music from classical composers. Have you ever listened to The Planets by Holst and not thought "wow, this is exactly the same as the Star Wars OST"? :p

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    There's a huge difference between plagiarism and paying homage. Williams has always been open when he pays homage to certain classical pieces, particularly when he's honouring his heroes. I've never heard a credible musical source claim Williams as a plagiarist, why? Because they know better.

My musical muses, other than John Williams of course, would have to be John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Brian Wilson, Peter Gabriel, George Gershwin, Claude Debussy, Rachmaninoff, Ramin Djawadi (young but seriously good), Abel Korzenowski (relatively unknown but I think he's superb), Danny Elfman, Bernard Herrmann, Max Steiner and much, much more... Seriously, I could be here all night.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,116 / 3 / -0
    I think Kakashi was just about bashing my muse, rather than actually making a point about John Williams.;)
    Besides everyone knows about William’s love for ‘The Planets’. It’s hardly news. If we’re talking plagiarism, just listen to the late James Horner, who was infamous for stealing classical music and even had to go to court many times, studios defending him. Even Enya sued him over ‘Titanic’. He also reused his own themes a lot, though to be fair other composers do this like Hans Zimmer. I mean listen to the Pirates theme and Battle of Carthage from Gladiator. It’s identical.

13. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +625 / 1 / -1
    Actually in large part the problem is something called "temp music" - stuff gets edited together to fit a specific existing soundtrack the filmmakers happen to be listening to at the time, and by the time the actual composer comes aboard, they pretty much have to imitate the temp music.

Why does blockbuster movie music all sound boring and the same?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    This is very true, and in fact even in the best movie soundtracks there are remnants of the temp score. For example when Han, Luke etc are hiding in the Falcon from the stormtroopers, the music you hear is a snippet from Bernard Herrmann's Psycho score. George Lucas had put it in his score, and when Williams heard it he loved it so much, Herrmann being an idol of his, he left it in.

These days the problem is also there's numerous 'Zimmer Clones' as I call them, everyone trying to be like Hans Zimmer. Why? Because his music is very easy to write and make it 'epic' sounding without much effort. The problem here is that the melody tends to be sacrificed to make way for 'epic' chord progressions. It's minimalism, which I don't mind in some composers. Danny Elfman is an example but his melodies are wonderful, but I don't like the blandness of big blockbusters these days.

It's even sadder with John Williams and the newer Star Wars films. His score for The Force Awakens was the most unique thing about it, but for The Last Jedi, you can tell he's just been told 'no, do this', and the result? You can just hear it for yourself that he was not very interested. He was asked to repeat himself over and over.

Danny Elfman had a falling out with Sam Raimi during the making of Spider-Man 2 for the same reason. Elfman wanted to use the themes he had created in the first but evolve them and mix them with newer. No real artist wants to repeat themselves over and over. Recurring themes is fine but as long as they are done in a different or more interesting way. Raimi, however, vetoed Elfman's plans and instead asked him to make the score 'more like Christopher Young's work'. Rightly so, Elfman said he wasn't going to lower himself to some talentless hack like Young, and so backed off. Raimi ended up getting Young in to piece together what Elfman had already done and finish the score. Ultimately Elfman still got the credit, but the damage was done, and of course, Young did the Spider-Man 3 score. Thankfully both Elfman and Raimi have made up since then, but Elfman still says that it was the first time he'd ever seen someone become a 'pod person', Raimi just was completely different than the man he had known and worked with for years.

• Agree Agree x 2