Who's Tom Bombadil

Discussion in 'Books' started by perneekCZ, Jan 25, 2015.

1. perneekCZ

perneekCZ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys, who is really Tom Bombadil ? I think he could be one of Istari-the blue wizard. Tom the Blue sounds good. What you think?

2. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Gandalf described TB as the "eldest being in existence". The blue wizards Alatar and Pallandar were maiar like Gandalf (& Sauron, Radgast, Saruman, Balrogs). It seems unlikely that TB could be Maiar as they descended en masse with the Valar to shape the earth together and would surely all rank equally behind the Valar. Gandalf was Maiar to Manwe the greatest of the Valar, the blue wizards to Orome.

Anyway a couple of previous threads on subject:
    http://www.thefantasyforum.com/threads/who-or-what-is-tom-bombadil.3858/
    http://www.thefantasyforum.com/threads/tom-bombadil.4510/

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Tom is generally thought to be one of several creatures including:

1) The creator of all the world

2) Tolkien - who by virtue of being the writer could be said to be the oldest thing in the story itself (although knowing Tolkiens desire to base Middle Earth of the old English mythologies and of the old peoples then he could be linked to those ancient times)

In general he's described as being highly powerful, but at the same time somewhat removed from the world at large. This suggests that good and evil - the war between man and orc and elf - really has no effect upon him and that he would continue to exist without much harm (although its supposed that his way of life would have to change).
    His removed nature is described in the way by Gandalf is that Tom could keep the One Ring and it would have no ill effect over him; but that at the same time its so insignificant to him that he could very well throw it away or give it away or just lose it. Whilst Gandalf could have stored the ring with Tom for a while it wouldn't have removed the problem, only delayed it; and by that point in the story the armies of Mordor were already assembling. Even without the Ring Sauron was going to war. At the same time the Dwarfs are mostly beaten back to their mountains and the elves are up and leaving Middle Earth. It was not a time to hide the ring but to make use of it.

I suspect Tom's real identity went with Tolkien or its buried in the myriad of notes he left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    "Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside.."
    —Tom Bombadil (The Fellowship of the Ring)

Basicaly he's Eru. My vote on version 1 - creator of everything.

On a side note I don't think he is Tolkien. Because Bilbo is Tolkien

Also for those who don't like him not appearing in the movies, here is his Battle For Middle-Earth unit

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Creator or essence of the world gets my vote too.

6. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +786 / 4 / -1
    yea I could see him being Iluvatar, in mortal man form to make sure nothing super major screws up his vision. I'm looking at you Melkor