who's afraid of the big bad [strike]wolf[/strike] global warming?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by volksmenner, Jul 11, 2007.

1. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    not me for one. i think its all BUNKEM! oops that may be illegal. heretical even. i just as of yet, don't believe the hype. what's say you?

2. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    How can someone not believe in Global Warming? Especially with all the garbage we pump into the air? To say that all that extra gas/pollution has no effect on the environment is ...well...silly.

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I guess it has something to do with "I don't believe in science"...I think that why some don't believe in Global Warming either..."I believe in God only...period!"

4. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I guess. But I mean all people have to do is look at a big city and the color of the air, the smell of the air, the taste of the air? To say that that has no effect on the environment...I mean....come on.

5. volksmenner

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    who said anything about god? god has nothing to do with why i don't believe in global warming. and just because i do not believe in global warming does not mean i do not believe in science or that i love to breathe carbon monoxide.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well if you're not afraid and don't believe it, good for you! I'm not so afraid either, though I like to secure the future of my children and their children and so on....I don't want them to fear global warming...so it's better to do something about it now, then just as an ignorant person...Ignore it!

7. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Then why do you not believe in it? Science points towards it. The pollutants we pump into the air hold in heat like a greenhouse (hence the term greenhouse gases).

Global warming does not actually mean that the world will heat up and burn, it means that they icecaps will melt (and they are) which can flood oceans with fresh water, which is bad.
    Its not saying the earth will flood, if all the water in the world was to come to the surface and all the ice melt it still would not be enough to flood the earth. Its the changes in weather and the amount of fresh water in the sea.

And its not about fearing it, its about taking responsibility.

Saying you dont believe is like a cop out, "OH I dont beleive so I can pollute."
    You may not be saying that but it sounds like it.

We as the more intelligent animals have a responsibility to take care of the earth.

8. volksmenner

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    well who set up factories on venus? doesn't venus have a runaway greenhouse effect goin' on there? hasn't our own earth pump out greenhouse gases on a scale much larger than our factories? isn't 70% percent of the earth's surface water? doesn't algae and phytoplankton breathe co2? don't other plants in terrafirma breathe co2 as well. oh yeah, and don't they exhale 02? i mean how were these gases cleansed from the atmosphere to begin with?

not polluting and falling into the global warming scare are too different things completely.

the earth has gone through climate changes since the beginning. earth is not naturally a static environment, neither the solar system. the current climate change can be attributed to a rather large spectrum of suspects all empirically and scientifically, it depends on the agendas funding the experiments.

personally i believe climate change is natural and some how cyclical, the earth would cool and warm regardless of human activity as it has for billions of years. why are bees dying globally? i would wager it has more to do with genetically altering crops (an environmental crime) rather than global warming but you don't hear anything about that now do you.

of course i don't think we should recklessly pollute the earth at all. but if one is serious about a clean environment then get serious concerning nuclear waste and all other manner of environmental waste that nature does not recycle (ehem as does c02) and don't follow the leader like a lemming because you heard some "pee wee's playhouse secret word of the day" global warming and not know what it really is? because it is obvious no one can honestly say they do.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    You're rigth, in theory global warming already started since the Ice Age, the problem is that now we humans have sped up the process by our influence on nature.

10. volksmenner

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    there has been more than one ice age.

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    D'uh...

12. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    i agree that climate change in natural and cyclical but theres no denying we are having an effect on the world, even pollution into th eoean can kill the algae you mentioned. While our contribution is small its still not something we should just ignore, Dont you think we should be more concerned with planetary affairs than adopting a 'it'll be alright' policy. Just cause things arent catestrophic doesnt mean we cant do better.

13. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Guys no matter how much people yell,there are so many trillions of money invested in all the industries and companies and products that cause the enviroment to get worse every day and even cause global warming,that hardly any big country will do something about them.And I'm talking about something with a GOOD and FAST solution.

Personally i don't care that much about it.I mean ok I care about the planet and the enviroment and nature and life and the Global Warming thing...but seriously with all those nuclear missiles,wars and the disasters that happen in the world now like famine etc.that's the least I worry about right now.I think we can destroy the planet much more faster and easier :)

14. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I think many have this attitude like "nothing's gonna happen to me...", while my father was dying of a rare desease a few weeks ago, luckily he surived but it did have serious concequences. He didn't expect it. I don't say you have to go through life with thinking "oh this could happen to me, and this, and that" constantly worried about everything...no, that's no way to go through life, but you can't take these things for granted, you should be aware as with global warming that it is there, and if you act like you don't care, that's a pretty selfish attitude imo, cause for now or the near future there won't be concequences, but if you look further, then things could turn out really ugly.

15. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    No i'm not saying this.But what I'm saying Anakin is that you shouldn't go like crazy!For example "OH NO!GLOBAL WARMING!THEY ARE MAKING CONCERTS ABOUT IT SO IT MUCH BE SERIOUS!OH NO WE'RE GONNA DIE!THE SUN IS GONNA MELT AWAY ALL THE ICE!"

Ok and about 10-12 countries have nuclear weapons.Who does anything about that?

16. volksmenner

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    i agree with you crusader to an extent. yes humankind's activities lend to global climate change. however carbon dioxide is is vital to the ecosystem. it is not cyanide. that is how i interpret the global warming campaign. like humankind is generally responsible for it period.

what i am saying is if the earth chooses to warm can humankind stop it? absolutely not! if the earth chooses to cool can humankind stop it? absolutely not?

dumping in the oceans is horrible, regretfully and revealingly, it is not real high on the global warming fear monger list.

what i am not saying, is sit back relax business as usual. i am saying "they" are selling us a fake bill of goods here saying we can avert disaster if we are good global citizens and pay our soon tba carbon tax and who knows, breathing tax all in the effort to limit our carbon footprint. if you think in terms of baby steps, to me it is not that far fetched.

i care about this planet, because it is the only home i got. i just don't like being duped into false solutions, while even more detrimental environmental issues go on under the radar because they aren't en vogue. ie. depleted uranium! *that doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy though huh?

*sarcasm not directed toward you crusader.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  17. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Don't put words in my mouth, foinikas...did you see me acting crazy in any posts I've made...if so...I really suggest you really read them again, cause I said in an earlier post that you can't be too worried about all these things, but you can't take them for granted either...Read first before you make such a stupid post like this...

18. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

We have the technology! We can rebuild it!

:p lol

Okay I agree, but doing nothing is just as bad as doing too much, be prepared, know your enemy, all those cliches, more research needs to be done and potential solutions drawn up, and if we can get that done sooner on the backs of the global warming campaign all the better, at the end of the day the findings will speak for themselves and theres only so much hot air the politicians can mask as greenhouse gases.

As for uranium, lets look at that like this, uranium comes from the ground, we use it as fuel, diminishing its energy output, if we just put it back in the same mines we took it from the environmental impact is no different, less even.

Drastically simplified and a 'in a perfect world' situation but the principal is sound.

And be quiet about nukes, theyre less of a threat than global warming, if people were wound up enough to use them they would have done it in the cold war, for now theyre just a deterrant for superpowers, its the terrorist groups that are the ones we have to worry about with nuklear weapons.

19. Alchemist

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Precisely, the threat of earth destroyed by nukes is lower than earth destroyed by pollution.

Why cant people just take responisbility? You live on this earth, you use its resources, it provides for you so why is it asking to much to take care of it? Recycle, buy vehicles that use little gas. Its not really hard. We are all on the internet here, do a search for recycling centers in your area, start seperating your garbage, reuse things such as plastic bags and bottles untill they are useless then recycle them. Its not difficult.
    If we all take those small steps we can easily reduce the pollutants.

Global warming is happening, and its natural, but we are speeding it up. There is no point in saying "Well, i dont see anything happening as of yet, so why should I do anything?"
    Thats a mistake, too many bad things happen because we get into the mindset that "its not happening in our lifetime."

20. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    First of all.....I didn't mean that YOU specifically should go crazy!It's a "you" as in plural.As in "someone shouldn't go crazy".Do you understand me?

Are you sure?Because WWIII could easily start by a small spark.And if 1 or 2 nuclear missiles are fired against a country it's very easy for Total War to begin.It's not a fantasy scenario.it can happen.India and Pakistan have threatened to use nuclear weapons against each other in a full scale war.Russia has threatened recently that if anyone does anything to harm Russia's interests Russia will act imidiatelly even with military power and they mocked USA's anti-missile shield.Iran has threatened Israel.North Korea already has nuclear weapons and it's one of the last communist countries in the world.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007