Who would you put in the U.S. Office?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by warrior_squirrel21, Feb 14, 2008.

1. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    To Turambar: Sorry there, but I dunno who Ralph Nader is. Care to explain? No, I'm not joking. I'm serious!

To Padme: Bush may be a screwed up president, but he's nowhere near the standards of Chen Shui Bian of Taiwan. At least I don't think Bush will be dumb enough to purposely gamble with the well-being of the people and dogged by corruption scandals. That's the main reason why the opposition swept the parliament seats in Taiwan in the first place. More than likely all, if not part of Bush's so-called "mistakes" were caused by Cheney. And yeah, I admit that this is a conspiracy theory alright. :D

2. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Steven Colbert

with optimus prime as vice.

Now theres a campaign that can't lose!

3. RiverWolf

RiverWolf Rengan the Wolf

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I second that. But throw Obama in there as well.

4. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Are you a Republican btw?

5. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Colbert the comedian?

6. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yassir Arafat.

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I prefer Colbert the Visionary (same guy)

8. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    60s and 70s public safety guru and champion of federal regulation against corporations turned 3rd party political candidate who tries to use those ideals and vague environmental notions to gain political office.

9. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Then I guess Turambar meant it as an insult lol! :D

10. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    In all seriousness, can anyone tell me someone better suited to identifying everyone wrong with a political system than a political satirist?

11. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 blue is my favorite color

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    No. I cannot. If I had the choice i'd put superman in, but sadly, he is not real. I would not choose Clinton or Oboma though.

12. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Heh - he seems to insult a lot these days....

People sometimes seem to forget that the US isn't a constitutional two-party nation, and that there are choices beyond McCain, Obama and/or Clinton. If people start off by saying they don't like any of these, it's time to look at the alternatives, innit?

13. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Well, yes, that seems the obvious solution. However, the challenges to doing so are enormous. The funding alone presents the biggest challenge. Without support and affiliation of either the Democratic or Republican parties a candidate really doesn't stand a chance. Unless they are independently wealthy. That, of course, presents the next major challenge to a non-party candidate: skepticism. The American public is traditionally very skeptical of candidates that are independently partied, partied off the beaten path(Green, Libertarian, Independent, etc), or those who are wealthy enough to fund their own campaign. In America, parties other than Democratic or Republican are truly considered fringe parties and are not taken searly as seriously due to that. It is almost certainly political suicide to declare as such in an election.

Realistically, the first step to bringing more choices to the ballot on election day that actually stand a chance at winning is campaign funding reform. You have to start at the heart of it all: money. Money wins. Money buys the best commercials, the most 'personal' phone calls to voters' homes, the longest campaign tours, more signs in front yards, more bumper stickers on cars, and more name recognition. Now, I won't go as far as to say that the person with the largest campign funding always wins, but, I will say that it takes a hefty sum to get a campaign to the point where the candidate is even an recognizable name, let alone a common household name. Third party candidates just do not have the financial resources to accomplish this.

Another approach to the widen the acceptance and backing of third-party candidates, is a paradigm shift in the American public. A huge majority of the voting public do not even consider voting third-party. There are many reasons for this, least of all that many feel as if their vote would be wasted. Truly, if a voter knows, based on polls, that a candidate is only going to pull in single-digits at the polls, it is not worth voting for that candidate. Now, this definately presents several more issues as well. Third-party votes tend to 'take away from' Democratic votes moreso than Republican, yet most third-party candidates are politically closer to the Democratic stances than Republican, so it really does split that sector. Additionally, in past elections where a third-party candidate received a respectable percentage of the votes was in 1992 when Ross Perot(Reform party if I remember correctly) when the voting public was disgusted with the nation's politics, So that, begs the question, "What will it take to get the American public so disgusted and outraged that they seek these changes?" I would love to hope that we are already there, but the truth is that I do not think that as a whole we are there yet. I think it has to get bad enough that voters seek out new candidates for a change. Americans, in general, hold on to consistancy and familiarity when times are tough. We tend to want the security of having what we know rather than risking what we do not know, even if you know that what we have does not work. :confused: Personally, I could not disagree more.

I, for one, would LOVE to see more candidates. In reality, we have candidates that are very similar on many issues and are not as politically diverse as I would appreciate. This go round, the Democrats are fairly conservative(for a Dem.) and the Republican is fairly liberal(for a Rep.), and no one else is a serious contender, so in the end they don't end up being that far apart at all. :rolleyes:

As for who I think should be in office...ehh, I tend to agree with Turumbar in that we need a President that will bide his or her time and allow things to settle down, tempers to cool off, and the eceonomy to recover. However, I greatly disagree that Hillary would be that candidate. While I do agree with many of her politics and would support her as President, I think she is very power hungry. I think that she has always displayed this in her politics and career and we should not bet on her Presidency being different. I also think that as a woman she has 'more to prove' than Obama. Yes, he would be the first black President. However, I think there is a bigger leap from man to woman than white to black. I, for one, identify as a woman moreso than I do as white. I think this is common.

14. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Bud Selig.

15. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 blue is my favorite color

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Hell yes he does! :D Naw, man I want to quickly and half formaly appologise. I overiacted badly, and took the meaning compleatly wrong.

16. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    President - Obama
    Vice President - Stephen Colbert

17. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
  18. Nox