Who would you cast???

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by K'shar, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Jamie Bamber is almost 6 feet tall, I wouldn't call him an imp :)
    Richard Leaf would make an excellent Bolton. His eyes are discribed as "very pale blue and appear almost translucent." Wow.

2. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts:

Wow, I LOVE their choice for Oberyn!!!!!!!!!!!!! I adore that actor, and he fits the part perfectly, except for that he's a bit younger than Oberyn would be.

Jim Caviezel would make a HOT Dayne, but isn't he a lot older now? Caviezel is fairly young.

And ick...I do NOT like that choice for Jon.

Peter Weller for Halfhand's a great choice.

Christian Bale as Mance Rayder...wow. Okay, looks awesome in that pic, but again I think he's a little young. Age him a bit and it would work.

I like the Ygritte choice.

Johnny Depp as Daario....lol nice

Woah, Billy Crudup as Jaqen? That's hawt.

I LOVE all the Greyjoy selections! Bravo on that!!!!

Ew, I hate the Arryn choices...

Baelish choice is good...

Jack Davenport is hot, be great as Ned if you added a few greys to his hair.

I like the other Stark choices.

Kevin Durand as Hodor....LOL

Daenerys choice is actually pretty good...

Cersei and Jaime are great...

SO is Bronn...

do NOT like the Sandor choice.

Gregor choice = lol

Oo, Rufus Sewell!! He's awesome! I don't care who he plays as long as he's in it, lol

POrtman is way too old for Margaery...

Good choice for Loras and Garlan, I love Hugh Dancy

3. Arianne

Arianne New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I love Greyjoys actors.

The Hound also...

Cersei is ok, Tywinn and Kevan are great.

I don't like Daenerys and Jon...

The Starks are ok, except Catelyn and maybe Bran...

Josh Holloway as Black walder Frey... Well I forgot the description od Black walder, but it would be nice to see Josh in the series...
    Maybe as Jaime? Yes, he would be a great Jaime for me. :D

I don't like Conn at all...

Mellisandre is nice.

Beric is hot. :D
    And Daario too. And Jaqen. I like this pics.

I like Davos, too...
    Brienne lol

I dislike most of the Martells.

4. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Says who? He is shorter than every other cast member in BSG. Often people inflate their height for ego purposes, but that doesn't make it so. A realistic height is usually 3 inches less than what they claim.

Helo towers over him, Starbuck looks down on him slightly. You're telling me Helo is 6'8 and Starbuck is 6'2? Nah.

Of course Tricia Helfer does too, but she's always wearing huge heels so we can't say for sure how tall she is.

You'll notice they always try to accomodate for his height by putting him on a raised platform or having the other cast members around him sitting when they do group photos. Seriously, search the web for group photos and look, he's always raised up... here is a prime example.

http://www.edensharbor.com/blog/uploaded_images/000ds9bfsm-769805.jpg

He looks around 4 inches taller than Helo in that picture, but Helo is standing on the ground, Apollo is standing on a platform that looks to be around 20-24 inches high.

The other way you can sell how short he is is his muscles. Just like with bodybuilders (another group who lie about their height... why do you think Arnold always wears cowboy boots) a muscle stretched over a shorter bone ends up sticking out more than a muscle stretched over a longer bone. Short guys end up with more defined muscles and look stronger, but are usually weaker.

I'd peg him at 5'5 or 5'6.

The point being of course that just like in boxing, in fencing, and in particular Westeros style sword fighting, reach is very very important. Beric isn't a huge man like the Mountain, but they never say he is short either and he is a good fighter which means he couldn't be short. Maybe in the braavosi style where quickness counts (though reach is still very important) could a shorter person do better (see Arya) but with broadswords and armor its more about reach and power than speed and taller people have both reach and leverage. Additionally in a feudal society the ruling class (again Beric) tended to be taller because of better nutrition.

Jamie Bamber could play a peasant, maybe even Bronn, but not a knight. Not unless they only ever filmed him on his horse. You know they'll cast a large man as the Hound, and if he was Beric then that fight against the hound would look like Yoda vs. Dooku.

5. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    In the book when Beric has to fight Sandor, it's multiple times mentioned that Beric is a lot less tall than Sandor (who is approx. 6'3) and Arya fears for Beric and his lesser reach.

I've got Jamies length from IMDB by the way, which is a quite reliable source I guess.

6. CB Swords

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Nah IMDB will just print whatever a publicist says, and a publicist has a vested interest to promote the ego of their client.

Sandor Just 6'3? Does it say that or is that you guess? I always pictured him around 6'6 atleast with Gregor being nearly 7'

7. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    does it even matter how tall beric is, its not that important, and bamber is a reliable actor.

8. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I don't think Jamie's real length is important indeed, Crusader.
    As for Sandor's lenght, at one time (I think it was just before the tournament of the Hand started, when he's contemplating Gregor) Ned looks at Gregor and thinks King Robert and his brothers are tall men, and so is the Hound - and then he mentions Hodor who is even a lot taller, but Gregor is enormous, more than 7, rather 8 feet tall.
    Somewhere else in the book I've read Robert is about 6'5, so I guess Sandor is only a tiny bit shorter since he's mentioned after Robert and his brothers.
    (Now back ontopic again? :))

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    plus bamber is english, that gets points for not having an american accent in a fantasy piece.

10. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Is that so? Do the Westeros inhabitants all have an American accent? Strange... :D

11. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Well, the site is not perfect. I am confident we can do better:D
    I just shoved it to you because I think it is kind of cool, especially with the big nubmer of smaller characters casted. And for inspiration.

Arthur Dayne was killed by Ned and his companions at the tower of Joy, 14years before the books. I don´t think we know how old he was. He was a good friend of prince Rheagar, and i would think not to far from his age. He was at the best age for a knight. I would say in his thirties.

I don´t like this Jon either, A bad choice IMO. Hadn´t seen this new Jon when I posted the site. He has been changed like a zillion times.

When Sandor is mentioned after the Baratheon brothers i think it is meant to go like this
    Gregor>Hodor>Sandor>Baratheons

He is a she, and i don´t know if she reads the emails at the moment. Alot of the people on the site is casted in the massive casting threads on westeros.org. They were they craze a while back, but people grew bored. I think the mods closed down ten threads for length, or something. Especially Dany, Jon and Brienne, and for some reason Gendry, were hot topics and bickered endlessly about. The site turned out to be a kind of joint effort by the board, but in the end Lyanna Stark-Targaryen, who hosted the site, had the final say, and just choosed the ones she liked.

I think he meant that Westeros people are not supposed to have american accents. But it shouldn´t matter what language they speak. To be realistic they should speak westerosi, but GRRM translated it into english for our benefit. Don´t really matter in my opinion, what accents they have. Could be cool if the accents were regional. Like sottish in the North, and so on with different english dialects I am not familiar with.

12. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I can live with that :)
    But I can't remember where I read that Robert is 6'5. It was in one of the books for sure.

13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    You know what i meant gwywen, nothing reeks of fantasy or medieval history like english accents (plus its a nice change for those of us whoa re english) and i agree with the maester, regional is even better.

14. CB Swords

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Height absolutely matters. Too often people cast characters. rather than actors. They're casting Anakin Skywalker and not Hayden Christiansen. Or they cast people they like, people they have a crush on, or big stars.

Physical characteristics need to match though. People get concerned about hair color, eye color, but not height & body type? Come on, you can dye someone's hair, put in colored contacts, age their face with makeup, but you cannot give them an extra foot of height, and while you can ask them to gain weight or bulk up it isn't easy so height & weight characteristics are the most important to match.

If you don't match them you end up with ridiculous scenarios.

For instance, lets compare & contrast two movies. Willow, & D&D. In Willow the hero/swordsman is a beefy, rugged, Val Kilmer. Very believable, great role for him. In D&D its the babyfaced, short, skinny, Justin Whalin. It ends up making the movie seem even more ridiculous.

So, you cast Jamie Bamber as Beric, he doesn't look the part, you end up having to tweak the action choreography to make the enemies he fight look campy because a serious enemy would wipe the floor with his short little frame. Then, later in the series, Beric appears wasted and deathly, and Bamber would have to lose his bulk to fit that part, and if he did lose his bulk he'd look like a 12 year old boy.

As a fan of fantasy movie & TV, I'm sure you're no stranger to campy battles, tell me you're not a fan of them? If you don't want to see them in Westeros you need to be certain everyone who is supposed to fight well, looks like they could fight well.

Of course, while these casting discussions are fun, in reality I'm sure 90% of all the actors will be those we've never heard of anyways.

15. CB Swords

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yup. Hodor we know is 7 foot, that is mentioned many times (or near enough as makes no difference.)

Sandor I always imagined being 6'6-6'8. Robert beign 6'4 or 6'5 & stannis & renly a little shorter.

16. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    in that case, whos short he can play?

I'm just sayign because A)Hes a TV actor, and while probably hell be busy with BSG he is in the right level for asoiaf, B) Hes english, accent wise hes a must C) Hes a good actor.

17. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Threadkiller

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    How about this?......

King Robert played by Brian Blessed, the King in the first series of Blackadder.
    Viserys played by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy)
    Ned Stark by Viggo Mortensen

18. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    too old
    too old
    too typecast.

I saw it on a list like the previous one but leonardo decaprio for viserys, its perfect!

19. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Leonardo? No way, he looks nothing like the Viserys I have in mind. Viserys's face is described as skinny and harsh. Leonardo has a sort of 'round', friendly face that does not fit Viserys.

20. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    so we starve him for a few days, he can do he crazy brat style of viserys