Who will win Euro 2008?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by azuren82, Jun 10, 2008.

?

Who will win Euro '08?

1. Germany

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Portugal

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Holland

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Italy

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Romania

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. France

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Poland

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Croatia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Austria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Switzerland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Turkey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Czech Republic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Russia

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  14. Greece

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Spain

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  16. Sweden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, just doing this to see which team you guys think will win. tbh, I hope Portugal will win, but after seeing Holland vs Italy, I'm not too sure. Plus the stupid gay fact that the Portuguese strikers this year can't score ffs. Nuno Gomez? lol wtf dude? Pauletts's retirement really screwed the team. :S

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    "Football is a game with 22 players - and in the end, the Germans always win".

I do have to admit that I had to revise my opinion about the outcome of group C/D all the way to the finals, yesterday. The Netherlands really did had down its application for their spot in the final. But history shows that the Germans really grow in the proceeding of the tournament. In comparison, the Dutch tend to peak too early and either grow overconfident - or just tired - before the end. Interesting statistic: Out of the 5 past Euro tournaments, The Netherlands placed for the semis on 4 occasions, of which they won just one (and proceeded to win the tournament, ofc). Also, they're dreadful at taking penalties, although Van der Sar might have something to say about it this time, seeing what he did in Moscow.

But we'll see....

Portugal, in the mean time, have a really hard time convincing me of their uber greatness, based on Sunday's game. Big names don't necessarily come with big results (Greece, 2004; Italy 2004). Spain still has a word in the matter, of course. I am, however, critical. Spain has shown to be a dreadful tournament team in the past. Let's hope they can break that spell - but I've got a feeling it's - yet again - not to be.

3. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well I'll be rooting for Portugal and Switzerland. So hopefully both will have good games :S

4. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, best of luck on the Swiss for your part met. I don't see them going beyond the quarters. :S Portugal, dude, my heart says it's them, but my head says either Holland or more likely Germany. ****ing Nuno Gomez just can't score ffs. :S

5. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Swiss had some good games in the last World Cup. I was quite impressed. I thought they were would be absolutely pathetic. I felt some of their losses were just due to being unlucky.

6. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Errrr... Swiss returns 500-1 at the bookies :)

7. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    dang...can't make up my mind...I'd like to see Romania win but what are the chances of that?

8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Just you watch. I'll go to the bookies, cash in my 1 quid at get a return of 500 quid :p

Ofc, you may see news reports that various players have been found dead in their homes....<_<

9. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Best of luck in seeing Romania win dude. They were able to hold France partially because the French were so ****ing pathetic in front of the goal. You won't get to see the same case for Holland tbh. Maybe they will go through to the quarters due to Italy and France going sub-standard atm, but a semis spot would be a super bonus than any other thing else. Finals can only be termed as a miracle. Romania has the spirit, but not the quality in a strict sense.

And to met, well, I admit the Swiss were unlucky in the previous World Cup due to the stupid penalty kicks, but Frei is out of the Euro tournament, so there goes the Swiss goal machine. Not sure if others can step up tbh. But if there's anyone who can lit up the Swiss, my guess will be Barnetta. ;)

P.S: Lol. Met's a ****ing terrorist! :D

10. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... Romania might have an off-chance of getting out the other end in the Group of Death :p

So Holland beats France in the next match, yesno? Right. So, then it's Italy and Romania, who might get a draw. At that moment, Holland is trough to the next round. Stand: Hol: 6, Rom: 2, Ita: 1, Fra: 1. At that point, Romania needs to win to get through, which sounds incredible.

However, the Dutch have been through a lot of injuries - as well as two very intensive matches, which means Van Basten might give a chance to the lesser gods of the Dutch squad. In that sense, and also seeing the result of Romania drawing and winning from the Dutch in the qualifying round, they might just pull through.

Of course, the quarters is a wholly different piece of cheese. And, assuming they'll win over... Spain? - then it's back to the Dutch, at the rate they're playing, which, then is a completely different match.

11. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's hard to say for the Holland-France match. We dunno wtf France will do in this tournament. They've got a rep of being slow burners coming good as was shown in the 2006 World Cup. Van Basten could be attempting suicide if he fields a weakened team against them.

And Dutch winning Spain tbh is a 50-50. The Dutch maybe peaking too early and Spain got a rep of being chokers under pressure. :S

12. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I realise anything can happen.

Van Basten will NEVER bring out any weakened form of team whatsoever - but if they DO win, and Italy and Romania draw, then they have already WON the group, which gives some room for slack and recovering. That was the point.

France v. Holland, in the mean time, is a game that could still go either way. If France manage to regain from sunday's match and will come into their play under the Dutch style of football, then of course they could pull in a fleeting win, which is still something to be seriously reckoned with! And they are slow starters, the French. So, who knows? No major tournament has been won in the first round :)

As to Spain v. Holland... I'm counting a bit on this being a semi. And in a semi, anything could happen. I mean, I make predictions about these sort of things because I like making prediction (and seeing my foolishness in hindsight). But, as to semis, I understood a long time ago that as of the final four, there is no logical prediction possible, other then in hindsight.

In the mean time, forgive me for being slightly biased ;)

Either way, a possible Spain v. Holland is something to look forward to, judging what we've seen so far :)

13. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Greece today showed what champions are made from...

14. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    LOOL! Yeah, the champion of stooges. :D

15. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    We played like clowns and I even bought this hat..*sigh*

16. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Nikolaidis had retired...Zagorakis wasn't playing...Lyberopoulos didn't play...Giannakopoulos didn't play...Tsiartas didn't play...so many good players out of the game...and defensive gameplay was too little.

17. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    And the ones that were left were too old! In 4 years we won't have a team at all..

18. RenEnthusiast

RenEnthusiast New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Poland!!! Even though Germany walked all over us on Sunday. Well at least Germany´s goals were scored by Podolski(polish background). To bad his parents had to move to Germany:nono: .

19. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Heck at least the Greek team is full of Greeks not...Bosnians,Polish,Africans and other Russians or Yugoslavs!:p

20. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I voted for Spain ~ the perpetual under-achievers, on the basis that they've gotta come good at some point!

Holland looked sharp and you never write off the Germans.