Who will get the most medals in the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by RayCaptain, Aug 15, 2008.

?

Who will get the most medals?

1. USA

33.3%
  2. China

53.3%
  3. Other

13.3%
  1. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Except they did lose. It's not quantity, it's quality, and they certainly did not ahve the most golds. Sure they had the highest medal count, but it's gold's that matter.

2. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    the winner of the Olympics is not ruled by gold medals but instead it actualy IS how many medals overall...

3. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    BS. It's the gold count. :S

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    No No, winning = coming first. Coming first = Gold. More golds = more coming first. China has more golds than America. China wins.

China totally dominated America in the number of Golds won. America were only able to win a greater amount of lesser medals.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  5. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Again that's intellectually controversial words from Ray. :S IR was so right in saying he's ignorant. But then again, we have to consider his age lol! :D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so let us settle this once and for all.

As it turns out we all lose, simply because medal rankings do not exsist according to IOC. Traditionally though (but unofficially), IOC ranks medals by the Gold First standard; whilst Associated Press ranks by medal count. Again, Americans seem to go for quantity over quality heh?

A third (and novel) system has been cooked up by the Brits; 5 points for a Gold Medal, 3 for a silver and a further single point for bronze. Discarding the above mentioned methods as being hung in dispute, we could use this one to point out a winner. And it's close, all right. There's 330 points for the US - but 346 for China.

Sorry to tell you but err....

You lose, sucks to be you

7. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, what we do all know is that table rankings in all kinds of regional/global sports events goes by gold count. I dunno abt tur's logic, but more or less, I guess that's how the countries are ranked officially. And I do see the logic in AP rankings. It's like comparing quantity with quality, in which either would be logical. But since the tables goes by gold count, I can only say the same as tur for the ending phrase. :p

8. Ender-Zero

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    China saves.

9. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Ya'll just can't stand to see America win at anything because we seem to be the victor at everything and if there is in anyway, shape, or form of us possibly doing wrong overjoys you. Now that may seem harsh but ya'll just can't seem to give credit where credit is due, and I don't mean to me, I mean to the USA's athletes and their acomplishments. The way we do it, who wins in the Olympics, is number of medals. I don't care what is said, that's how it is. If in London, any other country takes 50 bronze and we get 49 gold, the other country wins. My mind is made up and no one will change it.

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well the thing is, it's not that we can't see America win at anything, because we did see them win. How else did they get Gold medals? It just seems that you can't seem to take that America might actually lose. Let's face it, it's fact that if you come anything but first, you lose. So if a medal was only handed to the victor, America would be lose out since China won more golds.

Well it's a good thing we don't actually care how you've made up your mind, we just like pointing out that you're wrong (well I do anyway).

11. Ender-Zero

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Stop being such an ignorant hypocrite and look at your own words. YOU can't seem to give credit where credit is due, and that's to China's athletes, who are clearly superior as is shwon by the massive amounts of gold medal they have accumilated. We all know America did a fantastic job and claimed many medals, however it is not the total amount of medals that counts, it is the total amount of golds. Stop clinging to your "American superiority" and realize that you are not superior, you can lose, and you have lost. If it makes you feel betetr Ray, Canada did abominable in these Olympics and I'm willing to admit that. Also if you think that country A gets 50 bronze and and country B gets 49 gold and Country A wins, then you should really redefine your definition of "win".

12. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Lol I and met are on msn and we really did discuss quite a bit on Ray's nature. Seems that we hold the same view. :p

But tbh, Ray's really stubborn. I don't think none of us can convince he is wrong unless God appeared to him and correct him just like what he did to Job lol! :D

13. Ender-Zero

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Close-minded you mean. There is a distinct difference between stubborn and close-monded.

14. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Both described him just as accurate. :p

15. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I knew I wouldn't get it through your head Ender...but actually I was just outrageously when I made that post...I still think it's the numbers but I ain't going to rant on it. I appreciate that Azuren sees that's it's me being bullhead and not ignorant or anything, which is true. Besides the poll Q is who would win more medals...not more gold :)

16. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Who were the real winners? This article was almost interesting (published part way through Olympics)..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7576446.stm

The Brits have come up with another system 5 for a gold (unless it's a cycling one when its 50), 3 for a silver and 1 for bronze... which makes Team GB the winner lol

17. Ender-Zero

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Ray brings up a good point, we got completely off topic here. He started to talk about who won the olympics when this thread is about who we THINK WILL win the most medals, not the olympics. Silly us.

18. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah.... that was my plea 10 posts ago ;)

Basically, in all alternative ways, China is the only country who secured two top positions.

19. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I believe I have the right to ignore the title of the poll for once, instead of actually adhering to it like I normally do, since most people detract from the title...I want to do it for once.

20. Ender-Zero

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I'm with you on that Met.