Who in your opinion is the most infleuntial fantasy author?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Normf, May 13, 2009.

1. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I think J.R.R.Tolkien, Jack Vance and Glen Cook are the most influential authors in the fantasy genre.

2. Aravona

Aravona l.u.n.e

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'd say my personal most influential author is Terry Pratchett. Though you may find you have to dig below the surface. The discworld gives a unique view on the world, and really if you don't believe me read Small Gods, the Guards Guards series, The Wtiches series and possibly The Truth. Then come back and argue his views on witches and gods are actually pretty damn good. In fact, I dont personally believe in god(s) and thats my choice but Terry Pratchett managed to make me see beyond the views of current religion into something worth believing in ;)

I also agree that Tolkien is one of the most heavily influential authors and I believe he did inspire GRRM (who is also a damn good writer but, his books dont bring that much new thought - though saying that the dragons and its ideas are very good)

May I also throw in my views on Robin Hobb. Fantastic writer and her series, about a young man named Fitz, The Farseer Trilogy has to be one of the best trilogies I've ever read :)

Just my opinion of course ^^

3. Timothy Guilt

Timothy Guilt New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ^I agree!^ Robin Hobb is the Stephen King of the genre. I love the way she spends time fleshing out her characters. Although I've not gone past Assassins Apperentice, due to the sheer lack of availability in this country and I'm not a big fan of ebooks.

Most influential? Just for the sheer number of fans, I'd say JK. And I confess to getting into fantasy, from the day I spent the entire night and the better part of the next day reading 'Goblet Of Fire'.

4. Accaris

Accaris New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Undoubtedly C.S. Lewis. All modern fantasy novels for children or young adults, including monumental successes like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, His Dark Materials, and How To Train Your Dragon, can more clearly trace their influence back to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, far more so than The Hobbit or even Through The Looking Glass.

5. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The above poster is right. I forgot C.S.Lewis. He is, along with Tolkien and Vance, the most influential, I think.

6. ML Hamilton

ML Hamilton ML Hamilton

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you want to go back further, I guess you could say Beowulf was the first "fantasy" ever written. I've always thought that modern fantasy might take something from the Odyssey as well.