Who in your opinion is the most infleuntial fantasy author?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Normf, May 13, 2009.

1. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Who do you think is the most influential Fantasy author excluding Tolkien and why?

I think a fair few would say Terry Brooks is the next big thing after Tolkien. But i never really dug either of them, however i respect them.

2. walker1979

walker1979 dream weaver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you were prob. right..Brooks Shannara series top class..hmm..what about E.fiest The RiftWar series is rather special..Focusing on dual worlds...Also Jordans Wheel of Time..Though i thought them a little long winded..what do you think?

3. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I agree about Robert Jordan, at about book 6 i was over it... But for some reason he is very popular. Yea i would think Feist would be up there, but these days there are so many different directions in fantasy it's hard to tell.

4. thesilentking

thesilentking Tiocfaidh ár lá!

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I don't think Feist influenced anyone - he admits a lot of his ideas came from roleplaying games. Michael Moorcock is more influential in literary circles than either Feist or Brooks or Jordan, though few people actually read him these days.

5. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, i will have to look him up then.

6. walker1979

walker1979 dream weaver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what about older ones such as Stephen Donaldson?

7. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to go for Lord Dunsany, Arthur Machen, Fritz Leiber, or Robert Howard. Each invented the building blocks of a type of modern fantasy.

8. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I would venture to say Howard is to Sword and Sorcery, what Tolkeins is to High Fantasy. Agree?

9. Priv8eye

Priv8eye New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you there silentking. Moorcock was a maaisve influence n his day, especially on those who wanted something different to Tolkien and Robert E Howard.

I'm not convivced that Howard is a big influence on Fantasy, although Conan remains the standard sword and sorcery image of the Barbarian for many so I'm probably wrong there.

Personally IMHO, after Tolkien, who do the massess recognise from Fantasy literature? If you want to go deeper and ask the likes of the people who frequent this board soem name shave already been mentioned that certainly qualify but they all rest in the shadows of the likes of Tolkien despite whatever skills they possess.

For me it would be David Gemmell for Heroic Fantasy.

10. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    each time you mention one author there will certainily be one or more who were the influence to that author - we could cut back to the norse tales and (of course) those who have translated them as well as reigions of the past and present from which many ideas have been taken.

Then of course you cant limit such views to just fantasy alone - many authors have retold stories in a fantasy setting or added fantasy elements. Taking the bones of a story and restructuring certain areas.

And lets not forget the fairy tales and the influence they have had - wicked witches and evil wolves

In the end I don't think there is one single author - though there are some common threads present.
    Medival is the most common age in which fantasy takes part - either with or without magical aid.
    Tolkien is a key influence in modern times - both on authors but also on getting the printers to widly accept and promote fantasy stories as a viable form of written material - this has helped (Along with the ease of information access and general litteracy levels) to allow us to actually have a fantasy writing industry now. Heck at one time fantasy stories were illegal (Certainly around the time of Gulivers Travels (SP)).

11. Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar Beard Lover

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I would say Tolkien is the big influence... It almost always comes back to him. And even though he wasn't the first one, I'd say that his works are the 'original'.

12. Normf

Normf Death 'n' Roll

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I would have to say i agree with most of what has been said here, and in the process foun some new authors to look into. :D

13. Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar Beard Lover

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
  14. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'd have to go with George R. R. Martin, since every other author I could think of to fit this topic has already been said. The reason I say GRRM is cause almost every new fantasy author I've bothered to look at an interview of has cited him as one of their favorites or inspirations or so forth. But that could just be a coincidence, I don't know. :)

15. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I think GRRM stands out today greatly for the fact that along with magic he displays a sound understanding of medival life and warfare - something that many authors just don't have. That I think adds credabilty to his writing - couple that with the fact that he writes mostly grey characters rather tha pure good/evil and he ends up with a very real feeling fantasy tale.

16. Priv8eye

Priv8eye New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I love grey characters. There was a guy who used to write for Dr Who years ago, can't remember his name, and he said "I don't write in balck and white, only in shades of grey". Some of his stories were amongst the best at that time.

the other outstanding factor of GRRM is that no-one, and I do mean no-one, is safe from death. Anyone can die if suits the need of the story, some of the deaths have been suprising and shocking, and couple that with fact that generally as a rule there is no ressurection makes it a compelling read.

17. Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger New Member

Aboard Captain Avery's Revenge, somewhere on the S
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The Deryni novels by Katherine Kurtz are quite influential, in my opinion. When she started writing them back in 1970 every other fantasy author was copying Tolkien. She constructed a more realistic world, and her shadow can definitely be seen in the works of George RR Martin and others.

18. Kally

Kally Driving my own destiny.

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I would have to say Stephenie Meyer, because she's one of the few authrs I've read and really enjoyed, She game me the determination to push at my writing and try to finally finish a book..Most people would say Tolkien and everything, but I haven't read the books so I can't judge.. :D

19. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Oh, wow. I almost choked on my soda when I read that...

I was going to come and trash your choice because I personally hate her, but then I thought for a moment. Just like with J. K. Rowling, she went and got a horde of young people interested in fantasy. Whatever anyone has against her, they can't say she hasn't been influential, for good or bad.

Which leaves me in a kind of strange, nirvana state in which my hate for Stephenie Meyer is kind of dying. And I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing...

20. Kally

Kally Driving my own destiny.

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    :D Oh wow :p I thought I was gonna get totally slaughtered for saying that lol...