who gave the best/worst performances in ROTK

Discussion in 'Movies' started by mrtoxic, Jan 4, 2004.

1. mrtoxic

mrtoxic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    in your opinion?

I think Elijah Wood was great and so was Viggo. Also Billy Boyd was good, and Miranda Otto. Personally, I just can't get into Hugo Weaving... but that's just me.

2. elvenarcherinarms

elvenarcherinarms Fellow Archr of Mirkwood

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    EVERYONE seems to think his portrayal of Elrond is off key and far too alike to his Agent Smith! They insist on cracking jokes like, 'When's he going to welcome back Mr. Anderson?' ....I mean, at times he does sound that way? But I think he's still perfectly right for the part imo.

3. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Sean Astin I would say did the best part. For worst? Hmm, don't really know. Probably that one ugly commanding orc (he reminded me of a pig):p. But really, I don't think anyone did a poor performance, even Hugo I thought did really good (but I am not a huge Matrix fan either).

4. mrtoxic

mrtoxic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Piglike Orc commander had the exact same voice as Dr. CLAW from the Inspector Gadget cartoon! "'ll get you next time Gadget, next time!!"

5. mrtoxic

mrtoxic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that Hugo did bascally Agent SMith in an Elf costume. He was mostly unbearable to watch for me (with the exception of him presenting Aragorn with Andruil, I liked him in that scene)...

I also think Liv Tyler overdoes the drama in her lines from time to time, but I still like her.

Cate Blanchett does the best Elf, I think. Legolas and Haldir are good too,.

6. Ymina

Ymina New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The best: Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd and Dom Monaghan (Or the 4 hobbits) I especially loved the scenes where they were saying goodbye to Frodo and Bilbo, I don't cry easily and I was asking the woman in front of me for tissues. I also loved David Wenham as Faramir, the scenes where he is with his father, really hit a part of me with the relationship I had with my biological egg donour. (mother) I could relate so well.
    The worst: Liv Tyler, I could barely stomach her in the first two, and now when I go see it again, remind me to bring a bucket.

7. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Sean Astin, Elijah Wood, Viggo, and Daivd Wenham were the best. I hate to pick just a few because ALL the performances were good, but their performances touched me in particular. Oh, and I forgot Bernard Hill. The Theoden speech was riveting.

Liv Tyler's acting was pretty good I thought, it's just that I don't like the fact that Arwen was brought into the story the way she was. If you don't like it, blame the writers.

As for Hugo Weaving, there was just something about him that I never have liked. I can't compare his performance as Elrond to his in the Matrix movies because I haven't seen any of them. But I think it was more of the lines they gave him and the direction the writers took the character rather than his performance.

8. amondray

amondray New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think sean astin did a simply amazing job and deffinatly deserves an oscar for his performance. Also elijah wood, Ian Mckellen, Bernard Hill, and Viggo all did very well. So many great actors!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Best: Sean Astin, with most of the cast following closely behind.
    Worst: Liv Tyler.

10. elvenarcherinarms

elvenarcherinarms Fellow Archr of Mirkwood

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sam's such a champ~! Of course, Sean Astin ;)

11. Sabishii

Sabishii Sindarin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sean Bean was good as Boromir, and Sir Ian McKellen did a *great* Gandalf.

This isn't really an actor's fault, but I would've liked to see more of the Elven sorrow and longing-for-the-sea in Legolas's lines instead of his happy-go-luck-iness.

12. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Art House Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Sean Astins best!
    I dont think i could name a worst! :D

13. Nathan

Nathan Wielder of the Flame

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On TTT EE DVD (I love all-capital abbreviations) they showed a little bit of Elrond going to Lothlorien and convincing Celeborn and Galadriel to send aid to the defenders of Helm's Deep. Hugo was allowed to have some of the color he showed in Fellowship. They abandoned that clip because they weren't going to have Arwen go to Helm's Deep. Not sure why they needed to cut out the Lothlorien scene because of that.

I agree with the majority in that Sean Astin did the best acting in Return of the King. It's strange, because when I reread the books, I can't picture the actors doing the same roles because most of the characters seem changed in the movies (exceptions: Legolas and possibly Gimli, not counting his comic relief role, and Merry and Pippin and Boromir). Nevertheless, they captured the essence of the characters in a way that you knew they were right for the parts.

14. Aragorn II Elessar

Aragorn II Elessar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think hugo's performace was much improved over fotr and ttt, the look on his face and in his eyes...i could really feel him suffering from losing arwen.

but of course sean astin is best! and every line of bernard hill is priceless.

i don't think there are any bad performances, but i didn't like gollum's script, especially his argument with himself in the water. it was like a prologue, but it seemed too redundant

15. Silverdragon

Silverdragon Ent

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think there's a best actor all were GREAT !!!!!!!!!!
    what I liked most was Ian McKellen's performance as Gandalf, but Gandalf also was my fav. character in the book (Ian performes him as I imagened while reading the book) and Andy Serkis as Gollum :duh: but with Smeagol's personality :D

actually I also liked Treebeard very much ...and he is no actor (just mentioned it to honor him)

Hugo Weaving wasn't so bad after all. I didn't like him the first time in FotR, but because he is a really good actor -well he still doesn't look like an elf to me (I'm sorry Mr. Hugo Weaving), because ELVES have to be beautiful and he is not(!)- he convinced me that he could be Elrond
    (I must admit: a VERY short time I also thought: Hello Mr. Anderson)

I liked Bernard Hill actingas King Theoden. :draught:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  16. Meg

Meg I solemnly swear...

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Best: Orlando, Elijah, Sean, Billy, Dominic, Viggo and Andy. :banana:
    The Worst: Miranda Otto (Eowyn), man, she really pisses me off!!! :mad:

17. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    What is it about her performance that you didn't like?

18. Glaurung

Glaurung Getting families together

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The best- Sir Ian without a doubt! Also Sean Bean and John Rhys-Davies. I did not like Cate Blanchett's Galadriel in the slightest - it was like she was on Serapax. Also the corny SFX scene "dark queen" was IMO crap and over the top, but that is more PJ's fault than hers. I didn't picture Galadriel with wavy hair either - and even though Cate has her own earthy beauty - I think she was a far cry from the ethereal beauthy that Galadriel was supposed to possess.
    I thought Arwen was beautiful and portrayed well by Liv - though I must say didn't like her extra roles, though understand PJ's reasoning.
    Orlando's acting was ok, but didn't like the character so much - had none of the humour from the book. And talk about corny lines - "Red sun rises" blechh!
    Worst would have to go to Elijah. I thought his portrayal of Frodo was pissweak. Probably just the way he was directed, but I found Frodo to be emasculated, wide-eyed and weak - but there's another thread on this.
    Eowyn, Eomer and Theoden were all fantastic. Theoden really came into his own on the third film. Wenham was good as Faramir as well.

19. amondray

amondray New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I personally couldnt disagree with you more but thats just me...

20. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't a fan of the King of...Gondor??? The city that was being attacked, I cannot believe I'm forgetting...but that is how his character was supposed to be, which was great. I really didn't think Faramir was great, but that's because they really never gave him much of anything, I feel.
    I really liked Sam's character more in this film than the others. I think he has become my favorite character. :)