Which sword should I purchase?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Bard, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,
    Do any of you know where I can purchase a viking sword for roughly 150.00. I would prefer it to be "functional". I am also looking for a mid sized medieval sword with a straight crossguard.
    Thanks for your help,
    -bsb-

2. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
  3. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
  4. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Thanks alot Jessehk,
    I think that I have my sights set on either the cas-iberia war sword or the viking short sword by rittersteel.

5. Gregorius0202

Gregorius0202 The Bronze Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If you're looking for a truly blunt-steel combat ready sword, nothing beats the Paul Chen Practical Viking sword (for the price range you're in). The last link Jesse provided is for it. It can be purchased for a mere $80 on good sites! Here's By-the-sword.com's like to it... It's the third sword on this page...

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Medieval_Swords_by_Hanwei.html

Why'd I post this link if you already have one... Well, I've worked with by the sword a lot, and their customer service doesn't get much better! 30 day return service, you get email replies from them FAST, and Mike, who does their email stuff, is just damn cool! Anyway...

The weight is decent on this sword, it's well balanced, of normal size for Viking swords, has a nice fuller, and best of all, it isn't sharp, so you can get into almost any event with it! It's a great buy... If I hadn't just bought a Deepeeka Viking sword (which turned out so bad that I already started modifying it, and I only got it yesterday) I would have had this! This is my Next Viking purchase, though:D

In fact, Mike, who works with them, informed me today that they have several currently in stock!

This sword is great because of it's simplicity, functional aspects for live-steel combat, and the pure fact that it can be slipped under the belt of a Viking or Saxon reeactor's belt from time periods anywhere from roughly 800-1050 AD without anyone saying "that doesn't look right with your outfit!"

Other options in the Price range would be Deepeeka blades, but, you have to be careful for duds. They ship out lots of good things, and lots of bad things! If you aren't happy with the sword, send it back and ask for another one, it'll be easily likely that the second will be in better condition than the first!

-Gregory-

6. Gregorius0202

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'd be careful about both of those. If you want a Viking Sword, that War sword WON'T work. It's not Viking Era at all! The Vikings wouldn't have ever even seen a sword like that, in fact, much less used one. The Rittersteel sword's are all junk, for the most part. And far from historically based, for the most part, as well...

Just a warning...

-Gregory-

7. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Do you know of any non-rubbish viking short swords?

8. Gregorius0202

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm afraid not. You could use a longseax, but those don't really look like swords, just long knives. I don't think I've heard tell of any Viking sword with a blade under 30" in length or so. Longer swords got popular during the end of the Roman Era, between the late third and early fourth century AD. At this time the legionaries traded in the short Gladius for the longer Cavalry Spatha, and this set off a chain reaction of popularity with longer Celtic blades and Spathas throughout much of Europe...

So, there isn't much likeliness that you'll find something short from some several hundred years after that, honestly. Longer blades were all of the Rage! And you definitely won't find any pieces on the market currently that would be made accurate, and short, IF there are some archeaological items that are short enough for you... You'd probably have to get a custom piece made, and provide some evidence to get specs from, if you wanted to be accurate. But that would cost an arm and a leg more than what you have to spend.

Honestly, though, the Paul Chen piece is pretty short, as far as the specs show... 36" or so in length, right? That's really pretty good, considering any Deepeeka Viking sword you could get is between 39"-41" in length! The weight isn't bad, either.

-Gregory-

9. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

If you are willing to spend about $300 you could get the albion squire line viking sword which looks pretty good and is fully functional...(i haven't held/seen it myself but it seems to me that albion is pretty high quality from what i've heard on forums...)

http://albion-swords.com/swords/albion/squire/sword-squire-viking.htm

P.S. I myself am considering getting one of the medieval swords from the squire line but they aren't released yet...it's a brand new line...

10. Gregorius0202

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The Albion Squire viking will indeed be a great sword, but I would strongly discourage it's purchase if you aren't planning on using it in combat A LOT. It is an unsharpened sword (as the rest of the squire line will be) primarily made for staged (or unstaged, I guess) steel combat. The Practical Viking sword by Paul Chen has the same purpose, and although the quality SURELY isn't as high as the Albion blade, it's definitely MUCH better to get it for $80, than the squire for $300, in my opinion... I've heard nothing but good news about the Practical Viking, and have even handled it before. A great sword, and the length is about as short as accurately possible on the market (without being custom) as a said before!

-Gregory-

(EDIT: Grammer error caught!)

11. Gregorius0202

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey, if you would be interested in getting a custom piece done, then this would be some great information for you:

These guys have been talking up a storm on the subject, and brought up a few rare examples of what most would call a "short" sword. Blades starting at 25" or so in the 10th-11th centurys.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44016

Cheers!

-Gregory-

12. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey that $80 viking sword above caught my eye, thanks Greg!

13. Gregorius0202

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome, 'Fan. I'm planning on getting two, myself. One will eventually be paid for by my friend who's going to use it and purchase it from me. We plan on using them at events, as the only Viking sword I have currently is rather heavy and long for carrying around... It can be seen at the bottom of my Deepeeka Page...

http://www.bronze-warrior.com/deepeeka.html

(I just noticed the captions for that sword aren't the ones I wanted, so they'll change and the sword's stats will be listed later this afternoon. Anyway, take care!)

-Gregory-