Which series should I read first?

Discussion in 'Forgotten Realms' started by Ice Spider, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Ice Spider

Ice Spider Cold, Creepy, and Cute

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A while ago I bought "Legacy of the Drow" and "Icewind Dale Trilogy" from a library discard sale. (Cost me 50 cents for the two of them...not bad. ;) ). I've never read Salvatore or any of the Forgotten Realms books. Of those two, I was wondering which fans would recommend starting on?

2. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0
    well, the correct order is now the dark elf quadrilogy then icewind dale, however, i read them as written, which is reverse, with no ill effects.
    the main thing to remember is that in its original form icewind dale was designed with wulfgar as the hero, so at some points, tho its drizzt doing the fighting, salvatore seems to be concentrating more on the barbarian. drizzt was designed as a 2 dimensional sidekick, but due to the editors, the book was rewritten with drizzt as the hero and wulfgar as the sidekick

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Reading as published for most series is normally the best way to read things as it normally follows the authors trail of thought and story structure. Chronologically earlier books written and released later will often rely upon world building and upon supporting elements already present in the series by the earlier written books; even though they are set before those latter book events occur.

It might also spoil some elements to read books in chronological order since some surprise or story twists in the books might be revealed or expanded upon (or set up) in the chronologically earlier books. Consider how if you watch star wars 1-6 in that order the whole revelation of who Darth Vader is is already revealed to you and thus the big event of Empire Strikes Back is now dulled greatly.

4. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Also do take srs note on the Sellswords series. Salvatore wrote that one too and I dare say that it would be the top 3 series of his Drizzt saga work. i.e. the other 2 being DE and HB.

Search tags for this page

what fantady series should i read