Which real historical cultures do the seven kingdoms stand for ?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Michael Schalk, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Michael Schalk

Michael Schalk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you look closely, there are many resemblances between the peoples of the Westeros and historical civilizations.

Obviously, the Iron Islands/Greyjoy are the easiest - as semi-civilized ship raiders they remind me of the Vikings.

The North reminds me of the more civilized germanic kingdoms after the fall of Rome (for example the Goths under Theoderic). A major military power, but not strong at diplomacy or political intrigue. Very similar feudal code of honor.

Dorne reminds me of Moorish Spain.

Highgarden - because it is such a cultivated and rich place - reminds me of the Italian City States during the Renaissance. Also because of their talent to choose the wrong allies or to change allegiances if this is sensible (Renly - Stannis - Lannister - in real history: the German emperors, France, Spain ..).

The Lannister Empire - reminds me of medieval France (after the 100 years war) or England (under Eward I. or Richard Lionheart ) - rich country, major military power, skilled in diplomacy and intrigue.

The Wildlings - remind me very much of the scottish highlanders (without the kilts and Bonnie Prince Charlie)

The Dothtraki - seems to me that they are very much like the historical Huns or Mongols.

Any other suggestions ?

2. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    The cities that Dany conquers (the Slave ones) are very 'Latter Days of the Roman Empire'.