Which Philosophy is better

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by darkdragon, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    You miss my point here....

Even if the Bible would be wholly babble, as you say, that doesn't mean it lost all it's philosophical value. Besides, the Bible is a religious fundament, which harbors a philosophy (more then one actually...)

2. Drac Critius

Drac Critius Radical Subjectivist

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I never said that it lost all its philosophical value, but rather it having a large quantity of watered down info. ;)

As for the wholly babble comment that I made, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

IMO,
    ~DC~

3. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Then, I'm affraid that I miss the point of your post in this thread... Either that, or you started to contradict yourself.

4. Drac Critius

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The reason for my post was to simply state what has been changed or taken out of the bible. I used wholly babble in more of a sarcastic way and not the definition.

Wholly=holy

Babble=bible

get it?

hmm...perhaps dogma would have been a better word choice :/

hmm...I thought you previously stated that religion doesn’t relate to philosophy...It seems your the one who is contradicting oneself ;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  5. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Ah... the circle...

Still, philosophies are allowed to be wrong. As I mentioned Nietsche before, I can say that he made a strange notion of being created post natum. Much as he sort of has a point, he's also wrong. But that still doesn't diminish the value of other things he said. That's why I think it was futile pointing out some minor inconsistencies in the Bible. The Western society is founded on the Bible (from a philosophical point of view), whether it's right or wrong. And in either case, that still wouldn't diminish it's value as such...

If you think so, link so :)

6. Drac Critius

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    No, you just assumed wrong.

I never defined the bible as wrong, just missing parts.

Link so how?

But I did quote you on it ;)

~DC~

7. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else catching the contradiction? I don't see it...

8. Drac Critius

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Right there ;)

~DC~

9. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    *sigh*...

if you insist...

You started to discuss the Bible from a religious point of view; this thread is about philosophy. You can discuss religion here, but why don't you compare your philosophies (or your favourite philosophers) with those of the bible, in stead of pulling the Bible into doubt. You were heading for a classic Religion/Agnostic debate. We have lots of threads concearning those (as I've said earlier), this one happens to be about philosophy. If you think the Bible's values are mistaken on other grounds then doubting Christianity itself, then please don't let me stop you. Do I hear you say the 10 commandments are somehow mistaken? Did Christ preach wrongly somewhere along the line? Be my guest.

Now, we're doing this for over 10 posts now, let's have a bite of your philosophies, favourite philosophers and other general opinions about Life, shall we?

10. Drac Critius

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I believe in:

Solipsistic Agnosticism- Is the belief that the self exists, and very little else is knowable.The individual can establish the existence of its own mind, of the concepts it thinks, of the percepts it experiences, of linear time and three-dimensional Euclidean space, and nothing else. All else is speculation.

I also believe in Subjectivism- that every single person experiences a different reality and that there is no way to reconcile the experiences of two different people. In short, all of our internal words are completely unverified. Everything we think we know is a guess, and every thought process is a theory in progress. No knowledge is absolute. To accept this doubt behind every theory and fact is the scientific way - evidence and logic must back up theories, but theories are never irrefutably proven, merely not-yet-disproven.

I live a life of unknowing... I'll dig deeper later, I have to work pretty soon.

ta, ta,
    DC

11. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I find this a most interesting perspective. I always tend to assume space and time to exist, while the body of a Human is capable of developing a mind of it's own... Reasoning the other way arond is interesting indeed; finding yourself to be a soul floating in space, perceiveing linear time.

I've also thought about the individualistic character of perception, but I found that it is of minor importance. Even assuming that the soul (mind) is initial, it is still given a body to control mass (an expression of the third dimention) in time. And whatever the differentiation in individual perception of the change might be, logics have it that the conclusions by all individuals must be the same. Even though the way I perceive red might be similar to the way you hear a tone of 440 Hz and thus are not exchangable, the conclusions our brain draws from these "images" are the same.

Either way, I think this always holds true for science.

However, I also recognise the "matrix theory" (from the movies). Yes, it might be possible that our minds are controlled from a time and place other then we perceive it to be now. Yet, science also tells that in times of doubt, the most simple hypothesis has privilege above the far-fetched. No one will ever be able to disprove the possibility of such, but in the statistical numbering it rates as H4 far as I'm concearned...

12. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    I don't think any religion is the best.
    I think that no religion has found the whole truth and that everybody has to go his/her own way to find the truth.
    Not the Christian, the Islam, the Buddismn, Shintoism, Hinduism or whatever has the whole truth.
    Religion is important for humans because it is a kind of a law, and our culture is founded on religion and much philosophy comes out of religion, but the religion is just the first step on the way to the truth, I think.
    I am Christ, but I think, that the biggest step of all is the preach of Buddah: Everything is the same, Everything (naturall) is life.
    So the first step is made with your first days, when you have the religion your parents have, but after that, you have to go the way on your own, but all is founded on the first step.
    If there wouldn't be the first step, there wouldn't be the second and the third...
    you know what I mean?

13. Vaniel

Vaniel "That Man"

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Agreed

No religion is the best. Religion is what you beleive in, and there isn't a "best" one. As long as you be a good person in life, thats all that matters.

14. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I tend toward the philosophies of both Christianity ( they way I beleive it was meant to be ) and Buddism. They both are quite simular when it comes to how you are to treat another. But for some reason most christians fail to live up to that part by tossing their spiritual judgements and hate at others.
    I respect all life. I do not care what race or religion you are ( but others stupidity and stupid actions do get me more angry than it should ).
    I try my hardest to care for all, and not to hate.

15. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    "I try my hardest to care for all, and not to hate."
    Me too., but it's hard.
    I don't know why, but the Buddhism is the most peaceful religion I know.
    Perhaps I don't know much, but as far as I know, Tibet (the original, not China) has never fought a war on his own. I mean, never started a war or something like that. And untill today the Dalai Lama preaches love and peace for the chinese government and he believes, that they will come to the right way on their own, when it's time...
    I could never stay THAT calm in such a sitiuation... China killed many of his own people, but he never preached hate or resistance.
    I admire the Dalai Lama and the Buddhism for their peace and friendship making, not just talking, they're really doing it...

16. Rock Mouth

Rock Mouth Speaker for the People

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ive found that there are so many religions out there that you can mold yourself, than choose your religion. not vice versa.

I support Shikism, which is relitively peaceful, but when that time comes, you must fight for God

17. Apollion

Apollion King Arthur Geek

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I believe only in my own philosophy: live life doing what you love most. Well actually, that might be a bad philosophy. If you love killing people, well...

Anyway, I tend not to follow any "philosophical" religions, since I worship deities from different cultures. I think in the end if you're a Pagan/Wiccan/Neo-Pagan type person, you really have to come up with your own philosophical beliefs. Christianity and Buddhism, though I agree with some of the concepts(not drinking alcohol, fighting desire, etc.), just didn't work with me in the end no matter how hard I tried.

Or maybe if you think a certain religious philosophy makes your life better, then I guess it really doesn't matter what you believe. Personally, I go towards more of a Humanistic philosophy.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  18. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree with you... except for the drinking part :D

19. Bones

Bones New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The study of Confucianism and Taoism have guided me through much of my life...
    Bones