Which Philosophy is better

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by darkdragon, Oct 1, 2003.

1. darkdragon

darkdragon The Black Prince

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Which Philosophy is better ? Christianity, Buddism, the list goes on and on . Does any body really have the right answer for all mankind ? Some say they do, but who knows the answer to this question. In my opinon, which ever philosophy you may follow, be it Christianity or what ever your preference, as long as it is right for you then you have the right answer.

2. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think christianity is the right one but dont take me seriausley as im a preist:D

3. Erador

Erador Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well
    i sorta belive in all the abrahamic religions as they are all worshipping the same god, just in different ways...
    i think thats the closest to the truth, since its a combination of the "religions of the book"

4. darkdragon

darkdragon The Black Prince

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I believe what ever is right for you, then that is the correct answer. It is a personal belief..:) :)

5. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    In my life, I think Christianity is, because of the freedom and the allowance of choices. Other religions are more strict, and I can't deal with that. Not with how my life is currently. But I like Christianity, I'm just not ready for it.

6. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You know what? I take my first answer back. I don't think there is any that are better. I think they all have their different value in life, but the world wouldn't be the same without each and every religion. Advances have been made through time that religion contributed to. So, I don't think it's possible to truly choose one that you think is better, because they all have significant value in life.

7. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    bravo Nevaeh!

As most of many of you know I'm not a fan of religion, but of creating your own beliefs in what is right and wrong....I don't think any religion has figured it out yet.

8. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Nevaeh and Arwen. My opinion is that their is a source, but all religions fail to realize that they worship the same source as any other religion. It took much thought for me to come to that conclusion, but once I came to it, I knew it was right for me. I can appreciate and partake in any religion, because I feel each has a unique perspective on their worshipping methods.

9. Glorfy_of_Imladris

Glorfy_of_Imladris Mysterious Glorfy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Since I'm not a real supporter of religion, I can't say what's the best. But my sympathy goes to Buddism.
    Every big religion (christianity, islam, jews) has rules. They name it rules themselves. But Buddism only has guidelines, and they say you don't have to follow the books, because they are written by people. You don't find this in other religions. There you find "follow the book or....!!" Example: there is a whole serie books in Bhuddism. In book nr. 1 you find a "this", in book nr. 7 you find a "that". That makes the difference to me.

10. Arijah

Arijah The Firstborn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would learn toward Christianity, and then Buddhism in its purist form....which is not the evolved teachings of Buddhism today. I guess to narrow it down, I'd be more willing to pay attention to the actual writings of Siddharta Gatauma (Buddha) then the interpretations of modern day priests. Little known history is that Buddha was actually a seeker of a deity, a deity that most resembled that of the Christian God, and he devoted his life to meditation and holiness as to someday meet this deity. Buddha later disappeared and it was then that the people in his region deitized him and instead worshipped him instead of seeking after whom he was apparently seeking. This is why you'll see similarities in both teachings of Christianity and Buddhism when it comes to fruitful living.

I remember someone said that they would prefer Buddhism because it was guidelines as opposed to rules. I agree, but only partly. Christianity provides you with a choice of life or death. Naturally, when one makes a choice there are actions that need to be taken in order to put/keep that choice in action. If you choose Life according to Christianity, there are guidelines...not suggestions...that would not hurt you in following in order to stay on "path of life" These same guidelines also serve to prevent you from going the "way of death". Rules, guidelines, whatever you want to call it are there to protect you and optimize your life, not to control you. Imagine that every law in the U.S. was just a guideline as opposed to a law...myself, you and probably everyone else would complain day in and day out of how life sucks because a 5 minute drive to the grocery store turns into 30 because people were not required to adhere to road signs thus leaving us all on our own to fend for ourselves. In Buddhism, there would be no harmony.

Basically, a philosophy or religion...most likely religion...that requires the following of guidelines and personal accountability and responsibility for one's own actions including possible consequences for wrongdoing, than it is in my opinion that these would be not so much the better philosophy, but rather the most complete and beneficial.

11. stoogie

stoogie New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. urbanharlequin

urbanharlequin Golden Marshall, 3rd Wing

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's interesting to read the different responses and thought to the question of philosophy which turned into the question of religion. One of the first things to remember is that if you are looking for a philosophy or religion that makes sense to you or that seems right to you than any one would do. And if you do not like that then make one up of your own that reflects who you are and what you believe. However, the danger to this is that then there are no standards make moral judgements, or to differentiate between right and wrong. It would be easy to say that there is a "fundamental" right and wrongness, but then who would make the standard between those. If it is right that we must each believe and do what is viewed as right to us then, following that standard, Osama Bin Laden, George W. Bush, and Sadam Husein are all correct because they are each following the actions they believe in to achieve the state they believe is the best for everyone. Ok, let's not go so extreme. Let's say Mother Terissa and John Smith (founder of Mormonism) are the same. Ok, let's look at another. Mohatma Ghandi and Tony Blair. Each of them is striving for peace, yet each of them is going about it in a different way. Are we then saying the end justifies the means.

Now if you are looking for God, then you are looking in a different ball park. To say that all religions worship the same god is grossly in error. The character and personality between Alah, and Vishna are not the same and to say that is to cheapen the individuality of the diety, believers, and religion. Not all gods are the same. Some are harsh, some benevolent. Some loving, and some condemning. One of them, if you follow all the precepts, laws and rituals does not guarantee you eternal bliss. It is all left up to the whim of the god, whether the god likes you or not, and if he is feeling good that day or not. See, when you talk about what philosophies, even democrats and republicans can't agree. Each endorses what they think is right and condemn the other. The choices are not easy, and what if you are wrong...Ouch.

If you are looking for a god, or God, you must have a different set of standards. What about one that is consistant, his character is the same regardless of the day or situation. What about, treating each of us the same, instead of playing favourites. Or even worse, condemning me because he is having a bad hair day, or a bad creation day, or a bad whatever day. Why take it out on me if it's not my fault. What about a God that wants to know me and is willing to let me know Him. What about a God that knows my faults and love me anyway. And finally, what about a God that has the power to do anything, be anywhere, know everything, and is willing to help, protect, and guide me. Heck, that is why HE IS GOD AND I AM NOT.

When we begin asking ourselves questions like these. And using them as guidlines for sifting between what is real and fake, not just right and wrong, then we begin looking in a whole different direction, with totaly different eyes. Let me know how your searching goes.

13. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    IMO: All the reasons you provide to show the difference between Gods is just the interpetations the followers of those Gods have put in place. The followers of those particular religions believe those things about there specific God (ex. harsh vs benevolent). Why can't all the Gods be the same source? You say because they are characterized differently. The followers created and/or developed the religion, and they set the guidelines and/or rules. Whats it to say that they set certain attributes to a God who displays all attributes, but they only saw certain parts? My reasoning of thinking is similiar to the 'Blind Men and an Elephant' story.

14. urbanharlequin

urbanharlequin Golden Marshall, 3rd Wing

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If all the dieties are the same why would that diety show him/her/itself so differently? Wouldn't it be reasonable, good, truthful that if all of these dieties were the same, that diety would show him/her/itself the same to all people so there would be a unity among them, instead of something that divides? Why would any G(g)od want its followers to be divided...I don't know what to say that G(g)od is. Sounds like something we humans would do to me.

15. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I believe that no philosophy is better than any other philosophy, and that all have their good and bad points. I myself have chosen the Wiccan path, but that does not make it "better" than any other path, it is just more appropriate for me.

16. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps the diety hasn't exactly shown itself differently, perse, but that the followers have seen the source and interpeted it in the way that satisfies them and their evolving culture. What's to say that this diety would want all the followers united. Perhaps he likes the many interpetations all religions impose, perhaps he truthfully doesn't care which way his followers view him.
    Or even perhaps its the reason you imposed in another thread:

Now I know you are implying Christianity, but why not use this exact reasoning with all religions?

17. Anduin

Anduin Numenorean

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you're going to discuss the philosophies of the origins of man and what force governs them still today, you can't leave out that certain and probably increasing group of people of who many of which, (not all) don't believe in devine creation and power at all.
    Evolutionists are whom I am speaking of of course. Those who believe all life basically came from one stellar exposion billions of years ago by only the laws of physical and biological scientific theory.
    Of course, I'm not saying that this is my belief or anything. Personally, I'm christian. But you cannot deny that those people have some very interesting and valid points that pretty much cannot be negelected, unless you're totally stubborn and close-minded.
    For my part, nobody truely know the right answer. You'll find out when you die I guess.
    But to each his own concerning the present day!

18. havelockploz

havelockploz With a preliminary 'P'

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks radagast, you're a legend. I agree with all gods coming from one source. Who says he always reveals himself differently, prophets seem to be the norm among abrahamic religions, apart from one who was god's son.
    In asia, the politics and economic situation nescessitated a partly polytheistic religion (hindu) and a partly atheistic one (buddhism)

19. pinkflyingwalruses

pinkflyingwalruses Beatnik

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I agree with hlp. I also think the theory of even the mono. religions being actually one god, with many faces.

20. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I think so too!But some fanatics I know don't think so