Which new Fantasy Book Serie do you recommend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by silverhammer, Feb 6, 2019.

1. silverhammer

silverhammer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone

I am looking for a new fantasy book series to read. The books I really liked are (as a kid) Eragon, more recently the Lightbringer series.
    What I look foreward in a book is.
    • Characters which have a interesting and funny personality and make you want to read more about them... (Kip from the Lighbringer series is a good example in my opinion).
    • Magical World which makes you wish it would really exist (like in Eragon - I love dragons!) ;-)
      And I prefer medieval settings.
    • Magic system which is quite restricted (not like Lord of the Rings) but still maintains it's mysticality. This can be achieved for example by combining different rules in a new/unexpected way...
    • And of corse: a writer who loves to play with language... I love when I hear a description of something which makes me laugh but still fits the thing perfectly.

I found a lot of positive reviews about the following series. Which one do you think I should pick up next?
    1. The Death Gate Cycle
    2. Mistborn
    3. The Kingkiller Chronicles
    4. The Stormlight Archive
    5. Malazan Book of the Fallen

Let me know which one you think fits me most - and why! Thanks :)
    Silver

2. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Ancient One

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -2
    I am currently reading Malazan and I am on the third book and loving it. It is a vast Fantasy with a lot of things to keep track of. Maybe that is just me; I have had to use the wiki a lot to keep track of a few things. But so far I am loving it.

I also greatly liked The Demon Cycle bu Peter V Brett and for a more ease series Seven Realms by Cinda Williams Chime is also a good one.

3. DefyTheOdds

DefyTheOdds Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE
    • Characters which have a interesting and funny personality and make you want to read more about them... (Kip from the Lighbringer series is a good example in my opinion).
      • Lopen is bar far one of the funniest characters I've ever read
    • Magical World which makes you wish it would really exist (like in Eragon - I love dragons!) ;-) And I prefer medieval settings.
      • The world build that Sanderson does in his books is ALWAYS incredible but Roshar (planet in Stormlight) is so richly built that I wish so much that I could be there is hurts some times
    • Magic system which is quite restricted (not like Lord of the Rings) but still maintains it's mysticality. This can be achieved for example by combining different rules in a new/unexpected way...
      • If you've never read any of his stuff you are seriously missing out. Sanderson's magic systems are ridiculous. They even made a Mistborn pen and paper RPG game, partially because how beautiful and logical the magic system is. In Stormlight I seriously think it would be a perfect RPG game.
    • And of corse: a writer who loves to play with language... I love when I hear a description of something which makes me laugh but still fits the thing perfectly.
      • Sanderson does an incredible job is writing differently in his various series depending on the tone and setting of the story. He tells the stories from multiple points of view and each character has their own voice and feel. You can feel the pain in some characters and the joy in others.
    Also, once you get into his works, its a treasure trove and books. This guys write and a completely different pace than most authors. He churns out AMAZING books one right after another.

4. Chu-Chu-byou

Chu-Chu-byou New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would reccommend the Invisible Library series. If you want creative language and magic, they've got it! If it's witty characters you're looking for, they've got those too. The setting is neat as well, and the magic and story development are very cool. 3 and a half out of 5, so far. I've only read one and a half books of the series, though.