Which Fantasy Series should I read next?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Crouton, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I have actually read a shockingly small amount of fantasy books. When I was young children's fantasy literature was all I read. Lately I have been reading less and less fantasy but I want to get back into it and need recommendations.

I'm currently reading a book, and have a couple more lined up but after that I'm free for anything.

So, recommend ANY fantasy series at all. And I mean any. Aside from the likes of Harry Potter don't worry about me maybe having read something before.

2. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what you have read yet, but ill list those i find worth reading...

Anything from Robin hobb, farseers trilogy if you like assassins. Liveship traders are really good as well..
    Night angel trilogy.. if you like assassins.
    Lies of locke lamora if you like thieves and con artists.

uhm, more high fantasy? Wheel of time and Sword of truth. The belgariad and mallorean. Hope you've already read A song of ice and fire.

Aaaaaand yeah.. name some fantasy series you really enjoyed and i might come up with something better :D

3. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, of all the ones you just listed I've read... none of them.

Well, not completely. I did start reading the first Night Angel book ones. The Way of Shadows but I started Uni, got busy and never got around to finishing it. I'm going to add everything you just recommend to my 'to read' list.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    A few to consider:

A Game of Thrones - by George RR Martin - first book of the Song of Ice and Fire and one of the most outstanding you'll ever read. The series isn't finished yet sadly, but its really outstanding!

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson - first book of Malazan Book of the Fallen series and a great read. If you've ever read Game of Thrones then this is similar, only with a massive injection of magic. There is magic oozing from every page and character. The series does jump around a little between continents and timelines but its a very gripping read page to page. It's also finished.

Assassins's Apprentice by Robin Hobb - first book of her Farseer Trilogy and also the first in her worldset that she creates. A great read if you want to get right behind the mind of a single character, following him along his adventures (along with his assistant wolf!) Hobb really gets behind her "anti-hero" hero character's mind and provides a very different kind of fantasy story.

Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb (first book of Liveship Traders)- returns you to her world of the Farseer's, but shifts the whole focus to a multi character affair and a new section of the continent. This series of 3 books can be read apart, but you'll miss out on a few references (and one key character twist!) if you don't read the Assassin's books first.

Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb (first book of Tawny Man)- back to the world and the writing style of the Assassin's books and back to the same lead character. Only this time the story picks up sometime after events that take place in the Live-ships and a few more very key characters from that appear here. Indeed this series of 3 really wants you to have read the first two trilogies to make much sense.

Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb (first book of currently 4 in the The Rain Wilds Chronicles) - back to Bingtown and the lands of the Liveship traders for another series! Again builds strongly on the past events and is certainly a series you'll have want to read the other books for.

Hobb has 4 series in this world and read in order makes the experience all the stronger; she can, as a very rough rule of thumb, get a little slow with the middle book in a series in pace and plot; but they always speed up roaringly in the last book.

Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb (I swear I've read things by other authors!) (first book of Soldier Son Trilogy). A totally and utterly new world set not linked to her other books. A slower paced series overall and not generally seen as her greatest, but a very solid story all around. It's behind one character again and getting right behind another anti-hero. It's got some very interesting twists and some very strong elements inside it, even if it doesn't quite compare to her earlier stronger works.

EDIT
    Temeraire by Naomi Norvik - dragons, gunpowder and the Napoleonic era - what more could you ask for? A great start to a still running series of books regarding a sea captain and a dragon and their adventures. If you've any like for dragons at all you have to read this - not epic in length, but a very comfortable read in each book.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  5. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I'd say read a song of ice and fire first, its the easiest one to swallow when you have a lot to do. Its a very easy read. So are the books from Robin Hobb!

6. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Yeah you see Crout, Robin Hobb is totally worth reading :D I love all her books :) Especially Liveship traders, farseer trilogy and the tawny man trilogy.

7. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. I'm making a huge list and am going to cross everything off one by one.

8. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. First book is The Dragonbone Chair. It's epic fantasy with well-drawn characters and relatively little magic.

9. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Yeaah, Memory, sorrow and thorn its sorta decent, one of the first series i read. Got really annoyed with the gal though, she whines too much.

10. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    http://www.goodreads.com/

Crouton - head over and make an account on Goodreads :)
    You can then plug in the names and add loads of "to read books" to you to read pile. It's a great way to make a reference list that won't get lost like a notepad file or a scrap of paper. You can check the books off the list as you get and read through them :)

11. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Nice, I'll add it to the list. Eeesh, I didn't think about money when I first started this. I'm going to go broke buying so many new books. And I don't even have a job yet. It may take a while to get through all this!

Nah, I can't use GoodReads. I made an account once and tried to add Harry Potter. I saw that they used the title "Sorcerers Stone" instead of "Philosopher's Stone". I quit the site straight away. The fact that they used the butchered Americanized title instead of the real original title of that book made me so mad that I couldn't keep using it. Unless that has changed by now then I don't want to join it.

12. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Thats why you go to second hand stores :D Most of these books named here are classics :) I could probably find most of these almost for free at second hand stores here.

13. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    It logs books by ISBN numbers so chances are you just have to list the ISBN number of the Philosopher's stone to get the right title version. Also many books that have various versions will have a single lead header and then a submenu of alternative versions of the book (you can be really exact with some books as to if you own hardback, paperback etc..)

seee http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72193.Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher_s_Stone :)

14. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Hmm okay. Well as long as I can add the real versions of books then I will consider joining it again.

15. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    The US does have a tendency to butcher names - the Golden Compass is another fine example of not really quite getting the story!

But check my previous post - edited it in, but I found the Philosophers stone!

16. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I did see that, thanks! And Em I do already buy a lot of my books from second hand stores. My main problem now is not having enough space to store them in this little apartment.

17. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I have one word Crouton - ----- KINDLE :)
    It makes all the book saving space problems go away like magic (it does however come with a problem that buying a book is literally one click of the mouse on amazon - its dangerous like that)!

18. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I agree on wheel of time, SOT, and song of ice and fire...

stuff I did not see mentioned:

Mistborn, by Sanderson

if you still like kid like stuff (i do) Alcatraz series also by Sanderson

Kingkiller chronickles by Patrick Rothfuss

and then , Sanderson has started new series " The Stormlight Archive", which I predict to be one of the biggest ever..

First book is The Way of Kings

and of course "dark towers series" by S. King

and not so popular, but my personal A plus: thraxas series..,..

oh almost forgot Codex alera

19. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Sweet, all going on the list!

20. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've always preferred a real book, but my space issues mean I might finally have to bow down to technology. Unfortunately I just don't live in a library.