Which characters do you hate in ASOIAF?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by jackgreenwrites, Apr 28, 2014.

1. jackgreenwrites

jackgreenwrites New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    [Mod Edit]: No spoilers past season 3 of the show (or halfway through book three) in this thread please.

I hate Catelyn.
    Just in book 1, she manages to mistreat her step-son since his birth, and kidnap Tyrion on a whim and start a war.

I hate Sansa.
    She nearly outdoes her mother -- she betrays her sister, gets her own wolf killed by the queen, then gleefully gives her father's plans away to the woman who killed her wolf.

I think Tywin and Petry are the most interesting characters in the books. Does anybody agree?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    I think I never really hated any of the characters. Apart from Joffrey, maybe, because Joffrey can't be liked. It's physically impossible to like Joffrey. Oh, and the Freys, Walder Frey in particular, for being such backstabbing [enter insult here].

I didn't like Cat at the beginning for the way she treated Jon, but I never hated her. Cersei is a bit annoying at the beginning (and she still is in GoT), but at some point I learned to view things from her perspective and in the last book(s) I actually sympathised with her.

3. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +786 / 4 / -1
    JOFFREY. I agree with Firi that it is impossible to like that scumbag. but then again what do you expect. I unfortunately never got very far with the books, i made it about halfway through book 2 before i moved on to something else, (video games if I'm not mistaken) but yea. I will eventually finish up the series when I have more time.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Many of the characters are young - ones like Sansa and Danerys oft make BIG mistakes partly because of their youth and upbringing. Though both are also shown to adapt and learn from those mistakes.

Joffry though - he's different. He doesn't adpt much to change, plus his cruelty and actions appear to be more than just youthful inexperience and hint at a generally more permanent level of nastyness in his character.

*adds Firi's name to the Cersei supporters hit-list*

5. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    It's good to see that you mentioned both Sansa and Daenerys! Most people complain about Sansa, about her being a stupid teenage girl (as usual, failing to see things from her perspective), and so many people tend to ignore the mistakes Daenerys makes because she is as idealistic and inexperienced as Sansa is naive. Both characters have their flaws, and of course I understand that some people prefer one character over the other, but I noticed that many people who watch the TV show without reading (or having read) the books tend to idealise their favourite characters because they lack the insight a reader of the series has.

6. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Joffery, Cersei, Tywin Lannister
    Gregor Clegane
    Walder Frey
    Theon Greyjoy
    Petyr Baelish

7. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Firi very true - its the biggest downside to most adaptations to film in that many characters do lose a lot of their background building elements. It's also true that a director/actor can end up simplifying or imposing to much of their own view upon a character - making them twist a little from how many might perceive them in the book.

That said sometimes film/tv has to simplify because they've just not the time to develop the character as easily from one state to another (esp if its a very subtle change over time). So they aim toward the end view earlier and cut down on the development/evolution of the character.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,118 / 3 / -0
    I don't hate any characters, not even Joffrey. I like Joffrey as a character. As a person that's different. There might be characters I find annoying. I don't have a high love for Stannis. Still i'm interested in which way he goes.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  9. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +411 / 3 / -1
    Cat. I hate Cat Stark. Loathe is a better term really

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    I hate Sansa, she is soooo booooring to read. And booring general. My favorite one ....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  11. Liaraene

Liaraene New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joffrey (obviously), Theon Greyjoy, The Mad King (even though he was no longer alive during the books I still hate him), Viserys (not only a psychopath, he's also really boring and predictable), Ser Jorah (whiny ass, forces himself too much on Dany), Roose Bolton, Ramsay Snow, Edmure (I don't like how childish and shallow he is), Walder Frey (obviously)

Characters I like: Daenerys, Tyrion, Sansa, Varys, Barristan Selmy, Jon Snow, Eddard Stark, Khal Drogo, Margaery, Lady Olenna, Myrcella & Tommen, Rheagar, Samwell Tarly, Meera Reed, Bran

And I want to add... While I like Arya in the TV show, in the books she bores the living hell out of me. I have to force myself through her parts in the book and I only read them to not miss anything important from the story.

12. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +411 / 3 / -1
    Complete opposite for me. I prefer book Arya :)

13. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    Like Anakin mentioned, I don't actually hate any character. I love to see what the villains get up to just as much as the heroes. There are characters I care less about but I honestly just love to follow every storyline. Some are stronger than others, but doesn't matter. Just curious where they'll end up

14. Televor

Televor New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    don't really hate any of them
    but i'm hoping cat does not kill jaime

15. Sifra

Sifra Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I hate Jon Snow and Catelyn. Arya and Bran annoy me most of the time.
    I liked Vicerys and Drogo, and Theon and of course Tyrion.

16. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +411 / 3 / -1
    "I hate Jon Snow"
    "I liked Viserys"

.... what

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CheshireGrin

CheshireGrin Active Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -0
    It's hard to say that I hate any characters in this series, because like others here said, some characters you just kind of love to hate. You can't have a good story without the bad guys. Even the characters in this who I would hate with a fiery passion in real life, it just wouldn't be the same story without them. :)
    That said, the character that has made me wanna throw my book across the room in a violent rage more than any other would have to be none other than Walder Frey. Joffrey's really good for that too, but that Walder Frey . . . what a rascal. (When I say "rascal" please feel free to substitute with any expletive of your choosing.) :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yamin

Yamin New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I hate Sansa because she is too stupid as new generation girls and boys who leave their families for a partner.

And I give a hint; Relation between Theon and Robb same with relation between Vlad the Impaler and Mehmed the Conqueror. Only a difference exists, Vlad killed before Mehmed. If you like look at history.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  19. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,118 / 3 / -0
    You can have your opinion of course, but I think you are wrong about Sansa. Yes, she made some serious mistakes, but learns from them. As Firiath said try to see things from her perspective. She's an afraid girl captured in a city full of enemies for a long time. She's abused (and it's worse in the books) and has difficulty to trust anyone after her major disappointment when she came face to face with reality. But slowly she's learning and becomes a stronger character.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Lyra_H_W

Lyra_H_W Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I don't 'hate' the characters for how they stand in the books but there have been one or two where I've been really tempted to just skip past their chapters (Sam was one of them I'm afraid).

Also, reading this thread has reminded me that it's pay day tomorrow which means I shall be getting my mitts on Book 5 (the eBook Book 5 is all together - not two parts, thank goodness!)