Which book, graphic novel or idea is crying out for an adaptation to film.

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Ochwen, May 28, 2015.

1. Ochwen

Ochwen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yo all,
    I'm new so trying this out for the first time, bare with me!

Wondered what in your opinion is the most overlooked novel / comic / book out there, that would make an amazing Film?

I'm a writer and director and have recently had a bit of success, I'm basically looking for inspiration really for my next project.

I've been reading a lot of HP Lovecraft recently and with the exception of perhaps Hellboy, thought that might be interesting. Any of you Lovecraft fans?

Love to hear your thoughts!

O

2. PerFolmer

PerFolmer Citizen of Urth.

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I like the works of Ray Bradbury, but his stuff have apparently been made into films and TV-shows already. Haven't seen them. Could certainly have a go at them again. I really like me some Lovecraft stories too. Wasn't Del Toro supposed to make Mountains of Madness or some story into a film? You have any favorite stories?

3. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    honestly I'd like to see a movie or show based on the Malazan book of the Fallen series by Stephen Erikson. I think that would be interesting.

4. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness"

There was alot of talk about Guillermo Del Toro directing it for many years, but the studio wanted him to make it PG-13 and he didn't think he could bring himself to make a PG-13 Lovecraft movie. So he made Pacific Rim instead and scrapped the project.

5. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Anything by Joe Abercrombie , hell i'd even watch an adaptation of his shopping list

6. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +211 / 2 / -0
    Stephen King's Dark Tower series
    The Burton and Swinburne series by Mark Hodder

7. Emerlas

Emerlas Emerz

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    seconded
    my sig speaks for itself

8. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +211 / 2 / -0
    I'd love somebody to do a version of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that sticks closer to the graphic novel

9. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    There is a lot I'd love to see; but then I go and watch films and read books of the films they are based upon - and vis versa and I'm nearly always left with that feeling that Hollywood just isn't the beast to do this.

They do too much changing; even when its not needed they change things and the director and machine that produces films very much makes the characters and the story "Theirs". This goes beyond the "personal interpretation" and fully into "re-writing" camp in my view.

So part of me doesn't want to see things go to the big screen. I don't want to see characters I love and hate and love to hate and hate to love all changed around. I don't want to see sub-standard results - or wholesale massive changes to the plot and storyline.

And I say all that whilst loving the Lord of the Rings films.

That said I'd like to see Temeraire on the big screen ;if just because we've not had a really good fantasy film with Dragons in for a very very very long time (Hobbit only half counts because Smaug* dies too fast in that series and isn't the full focus - indeed whilst he's the goal of the quest he is but one of many major plots and themes).

*also half counts because they made him into a wyvern/drake not a full blooded 6 limbed western dragon.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FaerieKim

FaerieKim New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'd really love Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics to be adapted to the screen. Everyone fears a cheesy version of course, but after Peter Jackson's adaptations of Tolkien and after the Game of Thrones TV series I don't think that's the worry it once was. Some screen adaptations of great fantasy literature can be very classy. I think if done well a series of films based on the Sandman graphic novels could be truly great art.

And "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman would also make a very good film

11. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I'd prefer just something by Gaiman... if he could *finally* get down to writing a sequel to Neverwhere, move it from the London Underground to New York, or better yet to Chicago... and then bring it to the big screen!

12. Indigo Orchid

Indigo Orchid Caveo Discipulo

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    "The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica" by James A. Owen. However, with these requirements:

1. It has to be very close to the books and
    2. very consistent, featuring aspects of one novel that seem unimportant so they will appear later when they are important (unlike they did with Harry Potter *sigh*)
    3. No more violence and romance than there is already in the books (and there is certainly enough of both!)
    4. No extra-sexy or extra-famous casting, but good actors that fit the characters
    5. Also, actors that are well cast for those characters who were real people
    6. The animals aswell as the comic relief minor characters don't have to be over silly and they should not only be used for some jokes
    7. Also, no minor character should be given an extra big role for being super sexy to get a broader audience
    8. As for the characters based on real persons, all of them should be featured, not only those who are especially well-known to absolutely everyone (like Shakespeare)
    9. The visuals should be very beautiful and fitting the books, for example: Featuring maps from the Imaginarium Geographica when tarvelling, very beautiful Dragonships and well-animated animals and creatures, icluding the original illustrations, like including each chapter illustration into it's scene in the movie
    10. They should contain the humour of the books, the running gags (Cambridge, Badgers, etc.) and the insults of the Emeritis.

13. TheLonelyGod

TheLonelyGod The Lonely God

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I would say The Great Tree of Avalon but it's already getting one it's just not here soon enough. :(

14. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I can't figure out why they haven't done "Mistborn". With the action sequences in that book, I'd have thought Hollywood would be all over it.

15. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    The Children of Húrin (Tolkien)... I'm sure it will be hit the big screens at some point!

16. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I dunno...there were rumours that the Tolkein estate decreed there would be no more films made. Those could just be rumours though.

17. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    a similar thought was also stated about the Silmarillion, to which the Tolkien estate stated that since the rights for a movie were ever given out by Tolkien himself, there would never be a movie based off of it. the same could probably be said about Children of Hurin, which is upsetting because I feel that would be a very cool movie to see.

18. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I have a feeling that their main concern is that so much changed in the Lord of the Rings and even more in The Hobbit; that any attempt (at least in the near future) to make a new film will be to marry the film to the established movie franchise not the original source material. Ergo we'd fast end up with films with title and characters and almost nothing left of the actual original story.

This being even more the case the further from the core texts that you go as the stories become either shorter in general (this opening themselves up to fanciful filler) or told in less detail. Again both leaving themselves open to a lot more need, for a film, to add in content or at least leaving a lot of gaps to fill.

I think we might see films of such things in the future, least I would hope we might, but it might take a new director and a new studio with a new focus to convince the Estate to allow for such media to be produced.

Heck Silmarillion couldn't be a film; its a condensed history of a multiple number of tales, some attached to sagas greater than Lord of the Rings (which was only the 3rd age).

19. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I agree with OR. The Silmarillion is a book of short stories and it would take a lot of added stuff to turn any of those shorts into a movie. Mind you, tons of fan-fics have been written based on that source material and some of them are quite engaging. If the film adaptation was done right, it might just work. I think the fall of Gondolin, where Tuor weds Idril and Maeglin betrays Gondolin to Morgoth would make a great movie. That's also the story where Glorfindel battles the Balrog: how awesome would that be to watch on a big screen?!?!? If the Tolkein estate has a problem with adding stuff to the original mythos though, I can't see how they'd allow it.

20. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    or I hate to say it but make a tv series based off of it, since it is a bunch of shorter tales. it would have to be done properly though, and sadly I don't think it would be.