Where to go next?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by basudz, Mar 9, 2010.

1. basudz

basudz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello! I'm rather new to reading books as a hobby and books of my choice at that( I do a lot of reading for work). Anyway I always heard good things about R.A. Salvatore and after doing a little research I picked up the Legend of Drizzt series and have been hooked ever since. I'm well past the halfway point in the series and am already looking forward to what series I'll become engulfed by next.

And there in lies my question. Being that I'm rather new to reading as a hobby, and so far my only experience would be Salvatores books, what do you guys suggest I should move onto next? I want to stick with the similar environments of the Drizzt series, medieval, swords, magic, etc...

I've heard The Wheel of Time series seems to be a favorite among many, but I've also heard it's quite a bit advanced compared to many of the others out there, and that maybe I should wait before going onto that?

I've been thinking about the Dragonlance series, The Sword of Truth series or A Song of Fire and Ice series, but I don't know much about either of them. They just always come out on top of my searches.

Any tips or opinions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Sword of Truth, A Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time are all somewhat getting into the lines of Epic fantasy storyes whilst Salvatore is more (from what I've heard) akin to hack and slash fantasy. The basic difference is pace, speed and length of the books and series (wheel of time is 11 books long). By all means they are great reads (A Song of Ice and Fire, whilst not yet complete, is one of the top fantasy series out in modern times).

I would also add the following to the list of recomendataions:
    Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson (first book Gardens of the Moon) another epic fantasy and often said to be the polar opposite of A Song of Ice and Fire - ASOIAF being a heavy reslistic fantasy in a world where the magics have faded somewhat (though are making a powerfull return) and bills itself and gritty and realistic whilst Malazan contains just as much epicness but in a world with gods, demigods, undead - basically a heck of a lot of magic and spells flying around.

The Book of Jhereg by Steven Brust - might be a bit more similar to Salvatore's works in that its a far shorter and quicker read. This is the first 3 books of the series in one release. A fun spells and swords (and daggers) fantasy read.

3. basudz

basudz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the descriptions and other book suggestions. I'm not looking for Salvatore replicas or anything like that, just want to stay with in the realm of magic and swords etc.
    I guess the one thing I like a lot about Salvatore's books is the easy and fast paced reading because I don't have much time for this hobby so I'm typically reading before I sleep at night. With Salvatores books, I can read 30-50 pages which is usually 3-4 chapters, thus I feel like I'm moving along rather quickly. That's probably something that would be the deciding factor in the next series I choose.

4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Yep The Book of Jhereg by Steven Brust would be a good option then.

Also Check out Discworld and the realms of Terry Pratchett - staring with The Colour of Magic. Very easy reading and fast whilst also humerous and entertaining