Where do you write?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Map the Dragon, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Map the Dragon

Map the Dragon .........................

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tend to do very little writing in an office or at my desk - one of the beautiful things about a laptop I guess. My two favorite places to write are on my couch (TV on or off, doesn't matte) and the dining room table (I have no idea why).

When I wrote my book I think most of the writing was done at that table, but also included some time on the couch, in bed, on a beach in Ixtapa, on a plane, at work, via a journal on top of one of the Swiss Alps, and in various hotel rooms.

What about you other writers here?

2. eddible

eddible New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Apologies for posting quite a while after you've started the thread; I'm unsure if you'll check this but oh well!

I find I'm rubbish at writing if I have any distractions. I tend to write in my bedroom, at my desk without fail. I suppose it's become a sort of routine, so much so that if I try to write anywhere else, I just can't think! Silence really helps me immerse myself in the writing, although I occasionally have the TV/music on in the background :)

3. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    When I'm doing a first draft I like to get outside if I can, and mix things up a bit. Unfortunately rewrites and edits require such an enormous amount of cross-referencing and research that working away from my office just isn't an option. A pity, because my office can feel a bit oppressive at times (like right now, I'm supposed to be editing, but can't think straight!).

4. Ice Spider

Ice Spider Cold, Creepy, and Cute

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tend to leave my house when I write. I like to write in libraries, coffee shops, etc. I associate my home with surfing the net for fun and other distractions (like the Fantasy Forum ;) ) and tend to get more work done when I'm someplace else.

5. emecbe

emecbe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I write mostly at home or when I'm working at night. I really don't mind where, so long as I can drift away to distant lands undisturbed.

6. Thârr

Thârr Entramä Sarê

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes on the lounge couch too. Same: TV on or off. Sometimes my bedroom. It seems when I am up 10 or 11 o'clock at night while i wait for internet pages to load... Strange... I usually get agitated at those times. In fact I feel like writing right now. On my bed. Last time I wrote some of my book was at 12:00 night on a freezing cold freezer lid...

7. KeithCB

KeithCB New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In my man cave. Fully outfitted with all manner of distractions and creativity boosters (chocolate and cola). It's in the basement where there are no windows and has a chair that is way too comfy for its own good.

8. JasonLudwig

JasonLudwig New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I usually write on the porch when weather allows. I find that it is about the only way to get any solitude at my house and be there if needed at the same time. I really enjoy cigars while I'm writing as well and this allows me to induldge in both simultaneously. Its also usually night time and I have to light some candles to offset the stark light of the netbook screen and the darkness. My wife actually bought me a wireless keyboard that illuminates when it senses movement that works awesome.

9. Nombuso

Nombuso New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Outside as much as possible.

Anywhere really.

Just where you can get emotionally free.

10. Tym

Tym New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    At my desk with an ol' pen and paper. I don't seem to be able to write as much while typing:S
    And to push through a story sometimes I listen to music:p

11. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Always in my office, sometimes at the desk, sometimes on the couch. I almost always have youtube videos playing or a movie going or something else so that it is not so darn quiet. I have written outside before, but its the time of year that it is too hot and humid to think straight out there.

12. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +635 / 2 / -1
    Anywhere I can, but generally I prefer sitting at my desk in front of my laptop, the internet at my fingertips for inspiration, music and images, as well as random facts from medieval history or science as needed.

13. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Loitering from 2009 - 2018

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    I usually put my headphones on (no music) and sit infront of my computer, staring at the document. The slightest distraction.. well.. distracts me.

14. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    I'm mostly on the couch when I'm writing, or when I'm in Scotland, usually from bed. Either on my laptop, or if I want absolutely no distractions from the internet whatsoever, on my Neo2 word processor. I absolutely love it!!