Where do you write?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Map the Dragon, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Map the Dragon

Map the Dragon .........................

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tend to do very little writing in an office or at my desk - one of the beautiful things about a laptop I guess. My two favorite places to write are on my couch (TV on or off, doesn't matte) and the dining room table (I have no idea why).

When I wrote my book I think most of the writing was done at that table, but also included some time on the couch, in bed, on a beach in Ixtapa, on a plane, at work, via a journal on top of one of the Swiss Alps, and in various hotel rooms.

What about you other writers here?

2. eddible

eddible New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Apologies for posting quite a while after you've started the thread; I'm unsure if you'll check this but oh well!

I find I'm rubbish at writing if I have any distractions. I tend to write in my bedroom, at my desk without fail. I suppose it's become a sort of routine, so much so that if I try to write anywhere else, I just can't think! Silence really helps me immerse myself in the writing, although I occasionally have the TV/music on in the background :)

3. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    When I'm doing a first draft I like to get outside if I can, and mix things up a bit. Unfortunately rewrites and edits require such an enormous amount of cross-referencing and research that working away from my office just isn't an option. A pity, because my office can feel a bit oppressive at times (like right now, I'm supposed to be editing, but can't think straight!).

4. Ice Spider

Ice Spider Cold, Creepy, and Cute

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tend to leave my house when I write. I like to write in libraries, coffee shops, etc. I associate my home with surfing the net for fun and other distractions (like the Fantasy Forum ;) ) and tend to get more work done when I'm someplace else.

5. emecbe

emecbe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I write mostly at home or when I'm working at night. I really don't mind where, so long as I can drift away to distant lands undisturbed.

6. Thârr

Thârr Entramä Sarê

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes on the lounge couch too. Same: TV on or off. Sometimes my bedroom. It seems when I am up 10 or 11 o'clock at night while i wait for internet pages to load... Strange... I usually get agitated at those times. In fact I feel like writing right now. On my bed. Last time I wrote some of my book was at 12:00 night on a freezing cold freezer lid...

7. KeithCB

KeithCB New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In my man cave. Fully outfitted with all manner of distractions and creativity boosters (chocolate and cola). It's in the basement where there are no windows and has a chair that is way too comfy for its own good.

8. JasonLudwig

JasonLudwig New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I usually write on the porch when weather allows. I find that it is about the only way to get any solitude at my house and be there if needed at the same time. I really enjoy cigars while I'm writing as well and this allows me to induldge in both simultaneously. Its also usually night time and I have to light some candles to offset the stark light of the netbook screen and the darkness. My wife actually bought me a wireless keyboard that illuminates when it senses movement that works awesome.

9. Nombuso

Nombuso New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Outside as much as possible.

Anywhere really.

Just where you can get emotionally free.

10. Tym

Tym New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    At my desk with an ol' pen and paper. I don't seem to be able to write as much while typing:S
    And to push through a story sometimes I listen to music:p

11. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Always in my office, sometimes at the desk, sometimes on the couch. I almost always have youtube videos playing or a movie going or something else so that it is not so darn quiet. I have written outside before, but its the time of year that it is too hot and humid to think straight out there.