Where do you get your books?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by S.J. Faerlind, Oct 22, 2012.

1. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well, at first I have to say i LOVE the way a REAL BOOK feels, like seeing how reading you have left etc, and have kindle but I rarely use it, I just dont like reading from it; so usually I order books online via amazon, or just go to some store; for me, it dosent matter if the book is second hand or brand you, because what`s inside matters more :p

2. Indigo Orchid

Indigo Orchid Caveo Discipulo

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I also love real books! I don't have an eReader and I don't want one.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -1
    There's nothing like the smell of a traditional bookshop.
    Ebooks just aren't the same sorry!
    Saying that i buy almost all of my books from charity shops - you can drop on to some real gems and perusing the variety of titles is a real treat for an old book worm !

4. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    I love having a real book in my hands. if it's something that I can't afford the bookshelf space for I'll get it on my kindle, or if I like the book enough where I would like to read it when I'm going somewhere, but other then that I get a physical copy of the book if not more then one (which I did with both the Hobbit and the LotR, 3 and 2 respectively)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Indigo Orchid

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I've never been to a traditional bookshop. I have no idea where to find one. The bookshops I know have the atmosphere of a supermarket, exept that they sell books. So, I prefer the atmosphere of the books I have. And I prefer to get them via the internet.

6. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    well nothing smells better than an old book :p

7. Indigo Orchid

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yup. I usually don't like second hand things, but I love used books.

8. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +271 / 2 / -0
    I absolutely love real - made out of paper - books. At my parents house we have over 4000 and I miss being surrounded by them. But I've been travelling around the world for the past three years and that means I don't have space for books. That's why I bought an e-reader and got used to reading e-books. I agree that it's not the same experience (although still waaay better than reading on your computer), but I don't really have a choice and I read about 100 books a year and didn't want to give it up (and didn't want to go bancrupt either). It's also much easier to find classic murder mystery novels in English on the Internet than it is in a Peruvian book-shop or library.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +340 / 3 / -2
    Old books smell, they smell like death to me... like when I was a kid and visited my Grandma's house, or when I go into an antiques shop. It's all musty.

10. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    I love the feel of a real book most. as I said though, it is a nice convenience to have an e-reader. most any book you can think of, with no space taken in your traveling bag.

11. CheshireGrin

CheshireGrin Active Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -0
    I get books from all over the place. I like real hold-in-your-hands-and-turn-actual-pages books, but I do have a kindle as well. I buy books from Barnes & Noble and smaller book stores, I get them on the kindle, I borrow books from friends, and I check books out from the local library. I also tend to get books as gifts around the holidays or my birthday since my family and friends know I like to read.

12. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    I actually really enjoy going to a local second hand book store, just because B&N doesn't always have what I'm looking for and this place has all kinds of stuff.

13. El lobo

El lobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love audio books
    I get them from a obvious source
    And I also love hardback books signed if possible as I collect a lot
    I used to get them from a place in London
    But after I heard they were not doing a Mark Lawrence numbered edition for the liars key
    I found somewhere else thanks to marks facebook page last month.
    And they are run by fans for fans so I'm happy going to them

14. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    I just love the old books smell. My favourite books are the used ones I get in the antique shops (I love to go there and sniff around; plus, they are nicely priced, so everything's quite advantageous for me). I prefer paperback, though I e-read a lot too (whenever I can't fine a book in paperback I want to read -especially when I want to read it in English and not in translation, and there are a lot of texts I have to read for Uni that are easier to get by in virtual format).

But when it comes down to it, I enjoy reading real books. I like keepin' them in my hands, sniffing them, looking at them, touching the words on the page. The experience is just different than from e-books.

When it comes to audiobooks, however, I am still kind of undecided. They come in handy, but I much prefer seeing the words, rather than hearing them... I've listened recently to Kurt Vonnegut's short SF story 2 B R 0 2 B and really enjoyed it. I really liked the voices (different voice for every character) and the way the story was read was quite entertaining. But I can't imagine just hearing any book out there. I really enjoy the act of reading and looking at the darn words (much more than hearing them, as I said). Plus, I concentrate better this way...