Where do you get your books?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by S.J. Faerlind, Oct 22, 2012.

1. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +330 / 2 / -1
    So what is your preference:

traditional print vs e-books?
    online ordering vs big-name bookstore vs small independent bookstore?
    Do you use the public library?

2. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +330 / 2 / -1
    Personally, I use a small independent bookstore most often because they are a local business that I like to support and because I much prefer to read printed books rather than e-books. I sometimes also use our local library for reading books that I'm not sure that I want to buy. I have ordered a few books online but I don't have an e-reader so I have to read them on my laptop. I like the convenience of that but I find the format of e-books to be a less decadent reading experience than a nicely formatted printed book. The "reflowable text" in e-books basically means no guarantee on the appearance of the words on the screen and I don't like it! Rant over... anyone else?

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    My views:

eBooks - if you're going to read these get an e-reader; not a tablet, not a laptop - an e-reader. The e-ink itself makes for a tremendous difference and is far superior to LCD screens!

As for buying:

Ebooks - most I get are from Amazon, since I have a Kindle and since amazon publish most things. I've also used the free archives to get a few older books which have no standing copyright holder over them.

Real books -
    If its something semi-modern and published I tend to find I get most from Amazon these days - I generally find most of the more niche market fantasy/sci-fi and general interest books that I need there. Sadly the highstreet shops tend to cater more toward what I'd call coffeetable books and "fiction" books. If you want a book with more depth to it in a subject area of interest or if you want fantasy that isn't mainstream then you're not likely to find it on the highstreet.

I do like going through independent bookstores from time to time as they can have some interesting old or different stock.

4. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 2 / -0
    Book...shop?

Naw seriously, I do get about half my books from a high street vendor. I love walking in that shop and do some therapy shopping. It's basically, the only shopping sin I have ^^
    The other half, I get at a book e-tailer called bol.com, they're by far the largest for our country, although I've heard amazon is also setting up shop in The Netherlands.

I always get paper, simply because books have a double purpose of being wall decoration after they've been read. That wouldn't work that well with e-readers ^^

And no, I don't use the library. It's simply that I can afford to buy my own books :D

5. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I cannot say... mods wouldn't like that ;)

6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    Oh wait Library I forgot that! And myself I don't use it. Uni libraries or big national ones are good for journals and reference material - but the average town library is generally not well stocked in what I'm after. Yes they have a big inter-library loan system so chances are I could loan books if I need them, but with books being fairly affordable I just soak the damage to the wallet :)

I suspect if I were far far more limited in funds I'd use the library system more often.

PS - last library I went into was trying to diversify into a social centre! There was talking and noise and some kids in the upstairs reference section making noise and drawing (under supervision and encouraged!) Granted the reference section is 1 bookshelf standing with a big table in an upstairs area all one its own - but still it was very un-library like!

7. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Traditional books, I can't really do E-books, i want them in my shelves :) Yes, its sorta like an obsession.

I either do online ordering cause they have EVERYTHING, for a good price, or i go to the local Fantasy/sci fi store bookstore :) Cause i want to support them! And its fun to browse the shelves, also dangerous....

And I stopped going to the library when I figured out that buying was so much more fun :)

8. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I can't remember the last time I stepped into a library. Must do that again some time. :p

I order all my books online as the brick and mortar places here don't carry what I want to buy. It's a shame as I'd much prefer to be able to walk into a place and just choose what I want off of a shelf. Sigh. Still, the trade off is that things are enormously cheap online, so that's good.

Not a big fan of eBooks by the way. There's nothing wrong with them. It's just that I prefer traditional printed books because of their wonderfully tactile nature. Nothing smells quite like a freshly bought book! ;)

9. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +339 / 3 / -2
    Audiobooks, almost exclusively audiobooks... I do too much eyeball-intensive work during the week to have anything left for reading a novel. Thankfully, audiobooks have come a long way in the last ten years and most of the ones I listen to have high productions standards.

10. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    same here, last several years

11. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +339 / 3 / -2

It took me awhile to warm up to listening instead of reading, but now it's the only way to go.

12. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    yeah especially when narrators are cool, like Michael Kramer, who reads all Wheel of time books and most of Sanderson's stuff... or Kate Reading, who also does Wheel of time together with Kramer and also has done all "Codex Alera" books... I love those two!

13. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I totally favor traditional books over e-books. I spend so much time looking at a computer screen as it is, I don't like to when I'm relaxing and reading. As to where I get them from, usually Amazon is my source just because the nearest bookstore is more than two hours away. I used to go to the library all the time but since working third shift (for the last 11 years) I'm not exactly conscious during their hours - so it's the internet for research and Amazon for enjoyment reading :)

14. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    There's no library near me, I wish there was. I don't have an ebook reader and prefer real books anyway. I used to buy all my books in store but lately I've been buying about half in store and half online.

15. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -1
    For e-books, Project Gutenberg, Baen Ebooks, Smashwords, Amazon, in that order.

For dead tree editions, local/used bookstores, my local discount store (good for books I wouldn't bother to buy elsewhere), online bookstores, and (what used to be) the World's Biggest Bookstore. Back at the tail end of the seventies, that was one of the first of the big box bookstores, converted from a 128-lane bowling alley.

16. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +330 / 2 / -1
    I just can't get into audiobooks at all though I wish that I could. It would be so much more convenient if I could listen to them in the car on the way to work. I recently downloaded my first audiobook courtesy of a free promotion and I hate it (not the story... just the audio version of it). I started listening to it and had to give it up because it was such an awful experience. Now I'm going to have to buy the written version somewhere :p

17. Nightfox

Nightfox Assassin

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Mostly I try to read the books in their original language (in most cases that is English). But for me it isn't easy to get them in English. I live near Hamburg in a small town. In my town there are two book stores, but both of them have only a few books in the English version and one of them doesn't even have English fantasy. Because of that I have to drive into Hamburg and go to one of the bigger book stores (Thalia). There they have more English books and even order them after genre. Often I find there, what I'm looking for. But as a poor student I can't buy all the books I want to read. My town has a little library. I go there for fantasy written in German and other fantasy translated into German (this library has only a few Englisch fantasy books). I pay 9€ a year for the library, the only negative point is, that I often forget to give the burrowed books back at the right time.

18. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i buy all my books at a shop in my city or at a webstore. i dislike e-books or audiobooks, i want to literally turn pages when reading and in my opinion audiobooks take away the feeling of "real reading". When i hear someone else's voice telling the story, a large part of my own imagination will adapt the narrator's voice etc..which i don't like and i just can't stop doing that haha :p.

19. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Right now I buy them either in a bookshop or on my Kindle, and I borrow them from the school library.

20. Indigo Orchid

Indigo Orchid Caveo Discipulo

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Amazon.
    1. I often prefer rare/unknown books. The local bookstores herehave very limited fantasy departments (LOTR, Warriors, Hobbit, ASOFAI, HP, Twilight, that's it)
    2. I am German, but I prefer to read the originals - in case they are English.
    3. I usually don't like second hand things, but I love second hand books. Because I am not rich. Because they have a past (books are nearly alive for me!).
    4. because I like to have time to decide if I buy a book. I read into it,read reviews, etc.
    5. Because I am a homebody and don't like shopping.