When there is something more between heaven and earth....

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Forgotten Realms, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Emelie, I should also like to add a sort of funny experience I had last week... I got off work early at about 4am in the morning and decided to do the week's grocery shopping. I went to the Walmart which is open all night and did my shopping... when I came back out to my car it was surrounded by crows, at least a dozen or more all around my car and only my car. A guy who had just gotten out of his car laughed and said "that's not a good sign is it"... I laughed and said "no, this isn't a good omen"... and proceeded to shoosh away the birds and stow away my groceries. Upon backing out of my parking spot I noticed the remains of a sandwich which had been under my car... turned out it was just a bunch of crows out for an easy meal... no omen at all.

That's how I view religion... we see and feel things that we sometimes don't understand at face value and turn them into things that have meaning. Often that meaning is linked to how we were brought up as children and is greatly influenced by society and cultural traditions. Crows and ravens carry certain cultural baggage... but to me they are just fine birds who happen to be black.

You started an interesting thread questioning our gender roles and how society dictates those often confining and ultimately unfair roles... why not also question how society and culture dictates how we learn and accept supernatural beliefs? We're started off at a very young age and taught to accept a God as creator of the Universe, that we are loved by this creator and have a destiny; and if we behave ourselves and do those things that are expected of us we will be rewarded with everlasting life. It's the bill of goods we're sold and while these early teachings often mutate into more grown up beliefs, they stay with us for a lifetime. This is how society orders and comforts itself, that we have a special place in the scheme of things and to behave accordingly.

2. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Sparrow, yes very interesting, I have also always believed that believing in a god is how society orders and comforts themselves, and it is definitely a question of how we are brought up, we here in Sweden, are in general non-believers. Which is probably why I myself don't believe in god, it would probably be the other way around if I was brought up in a country like America where Christianity still is big.
    And the cynical part inside of me believes just as you do, that the heart stops beating, and the brain runs out of oxygen, which also is why I believe that many believe they see "the light, heaven and all that". But on the other hand, no one actually knows what comes next, and it is impossible to find out. Would probably be more possible to find out if there was a god or not. And I actually want to live more than one life, cause for now, I love living and everything that comes with lives, both the good and bad. So it's kind of sad to know that once you die you just turn into wormfood and the spirit evaporates. It's not just about how we are brought up but what we want to happen. And even though I don't believe in for example god, I have a super religious friend, I believe that god exists for her, even though it doesn't for me.

It was like when my ex told me I was going to hell because I didn't believe in god, (And to be honest, I don't think that if this god exists, I would go to hell just because I'm a non believer, while worse people than me are going to heaven just because they believe in it and can ask for forgiveness and crap)
    And I said to my ex that I CANT go to hell, cause I don't believe such a place exists. And that's how I can see it, people might end up where they believe they will end up. Might be cause the place exists, or it might be because it's the last thought in their mind, and that freezes somehow, and makes it feel real enough before everything's gone forever.

I'm sorry forgotten, I didn't mean to steal your thread to talk about god and stuff.

3. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Religion is all abt humans trying to seek God. Or rather their own vision of the eternal. Pragmatism is part and parcel of our persona. We won't do things that we dun find fulfilling or pointless. The fact that atheism is well and alive now isn't an indication that things are the same N centuries back.

Also on you viewpoint, I've got nothing to argue barring the humane tendency to self-hypnotize to think that we are indispensable where in fact we're not.

And lastly, pls learn how to use your tact. The fact that you've got your own views doesn't mean that you should shoot forth the whole thing w/o tampering with the tone. I respect ppl who can talk sense, but more often than not, ppl are way more prone in being ruled by their own arrogance rather than humility. If you think I'm talking abt you specifically, then I'll be the first one to say I'm no diff as well since we're all human beings.

4. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have had a short view over all the things. Not that I would not react but I promise those who sent me a PM that I am willingly taking the offer and will come back to it at another time. Also, I am going voluntarily answering the questions asked me here in the thread - but it would not be now, would not be today.

One thing I have to say to Sparrow: I know that you can be a nice carle, but I have observed you and have seen that you can also being rude and provoking others that are not with you of one mind. Well, you used some words towards me that I would not even use for off-scums, but I do not mind. I have been counting on such reaction from your part. I was most afraid of your reacting. But the encouragement of my friends weighed more than any doubts of being accepted on your part. So, I do not mind - and as Sevi said - we all should know you.
    But remember (and I not kidding nor joking): I have also seen you attacking people that are not me but are my friends. I have not invited them to take my part, but they have taken on their own will. When I see you again attacking anyone speaking for me, I am going to report that specific thread and PM the mods. Again that is no joke: Never - ever - attack any friends of mine or try to convince them against their opinion and getting rude when you feel you won't have the desired effect!

Hope, you do not mind that I have to meditate on the whole thing first to better process it. Just give me one night :(

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

When you invite someone's opinion, and then that opinion is given in good faith, don't then threaten that person... it's just bad form. And if you wish to report me to the mods and if I'm nix'd from the site... oh well, it sure wouldn't be the first time.

6. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    Sparrow; this thread is NOT a debat and you are trying to make it one, this is in general talk, all youa re doing is stating your oppion asif it is a valid fact for which you have no proof and your doing it in a very rude manor. For that forgotten has the right to report you IF your reply to one of his friends is overly rude or crule. it is not a debat thread, its a freindly conversation thread in random chat. This thread was not meant to be a debat either.

tact is not lieing to anyone; believe hwat you will and act as youw ill, but tact is a usfull prossess of interacting with other people on decent terms. you wanna talk about th reality of this world???? this world in many ways is shit becuase people reffous to use the art of tact when discussing thigns, thats why there are wars, becuase people reffoues to think about someone elses feelings when they talk and exspres their feelings. i do not know ifI will post in this thread again spasificly; but I can promise that unless something in me compeles me to, it is the last time I post to you in this thread.

Please, i do not take this personal and this will not come up between us in any other thread we post intogether; I hope the same is true for you.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1