What's your opinion on Greenpeace?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    There's a documentary right now on TV about some guys from Greenpeace on a ship who go around "hunting" ships that hunt whales.And I see they are a group of young and a bit older people,men and women,educated and smart,taking this whole thing very seriously and they are very organized and searching for whale-killing
    ships to prevent them from doing their job.

But generally,what is your opinion on Greenpeace?

2. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Someone has to save the planet, why not them?

- that's my general thought on things. Sometimes I'm like "this is a bit harsh" but then again, they don't seem to be "harsh" enough.

3. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I like greenpeace, there are definitely organisations that are horrible and do weird things in the name of peace and good. But i dont believe they are one of them, they do valid stuff.
    But like Running said, someone's gotta do it. cause this world is f****d up and need someone that tries to work against all the crap that we do against animals and the environment.

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

If the world is ****ed up than we all are just as much to blame.

There is no real difference between the cow that was slaughtered to make the hamburger you ate yesterday and a whaling ship killing a whale. When was the last time you ate a hamburger, had pork chops for dinner, or purchased produce imported into Sweden from a third world country that allows young children to work long hours in the fields? Do you wear clothes made in China by workers making barely enough to survive on? Is the computer that you sent this post from made by folks who work in conditions that you and I would never consider working in?

Greenpeace is a business run by fanatics.
    By the way, Greenpeace is also against genetically altered fruits and vegetables... which means everyone who has thus far posted on this thread is guilty of something, even if you're a vegan.

5. Running Wolf

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    @Sparrow: Genetically altered fruits and veggies are not yet allowed in germany / are still in the testing phase and have to be marked as genetically altered.
    Even products like milk where the animals were fed with genetically altered food have to be marked as such, I think.

Greenpeace is a business run by fanatics, aye. And? I see no problem with that. Fanatics who wanna do the impossible: save the world. So? Let them. Let them try, let them disturb all those peaceful whalehunters, all of us peaceful capitalists. Let them make us aware of stuff, let them disturb us, let them enrage us.
    Because we are too damn compliant and content anyways

• Like Like x 1
  6. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Thats absolutely correct Sparrow, its almost impossible not to be "guilty" of something. But there are those more aware, and those less aware. I try to buy locally produced stuff, not shop at HM for example. But there's really no way to get away from it all.
    And most stuff that are labeled "ecological" and similar, is just as "ecological" as the rest of the shit, which means its mostly a fraud. And more expensive at that.

But atleast being aware of all the crap in the world makes people make better choices, if only minor ones. It's atleast a step in the right direction.

7. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    And organisations like greenpeace make people aware, where would we be without people like that. Then we'd really be screwed. We're already run by greedy, powerabusing idiots, we need people that try to go the other way and do the 'right thing.'

8. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I'm generally against GM foods mostly because its such a new area of science and the possibilities for causing problems are -- well - huge.

As for Greenpeace, they've certainly got some extremists, but honestly it is needed somewhat. Heck often its just needed to get the message out as many government or official echo measures are done more on a "Oh tick the box" kind of affair rather than being taken seriously. The international whale association thing, for example, is partly a joke - esp since you have to pay to be a member and Japan runs around sponsoring other nations to join up (but of course always vote for Japan ;)).

Honestly though I suspect most of us don't actually know that much about Greenpeace- they tend to only make it into the news when they do something more extreme; the rest of the time all their actions are mostly ignored and go without any media mention what so ever.

9. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Getting the publicity is good though, makes people think. Eventhough some people disagree with the things that goes against the law...
    They're quite visible here though, they call to peoples homes, walk the cities and talk to people, etc. Which i believe is really great!

10. Running Wolf

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    yup, they call us over here too. We sponsored them for quite a few years and they always updated about what happened with the money.

11. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Thats great!

I'm a bit sceptic at giving donations to charities and organisations though, feels like most of the money goes in to private pockets, or just disappear, never ending up with those who need it.
    I'm still trying to figure out whether i wanna give money to something, or if im just gonna make rich people richer.
    We had an incident here with.. I think it was the red cross, they found out last year that one of the men on the top had been taking a lot of money for himself. Which ofcourse made people lose trust in them. But this seem to happen with every organisation.. *sigh*

12. Running Wolf

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Yah, my parents stopped giving the money too - I don't why exactly though.
    But that is always the problem with organizations that need money: Some asshole is gonna abuse it.

Atm I don't earn any money, so I can't give any way on a regular basis, but overall I'm not too opposed to donating money.
    (And yup, it's largely to keep my conscience quiet of course *rolleyes at the negative US citizen*) :p

13. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    At first I didn't care about it.Then a few years ago I was like..."hey these guys are ok" so I was kind of pro-greenpeace.I even browsed the net for nice pics and stuff by them.But...then I kind of heard from somewhere that they are involved in scandals?I don't remember well,I am not 100% sure it was Greenpeace but I heard from somewhere that there was something wrong going on with them.If anyone has info....enlighten us please.

14. Running Wolf

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    The WorldWildlifeFund (WWF) is pretty messed up and sponsored by companies against which the WWF is supposed to work.
    I haven't heard of Greenpeace-scandals though.

15. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes the WWF!I think it was the WWF!Thank you RW!

Still though I've bought 2 cute doll animals from them,my spider and the little wild boar piglet! :D

16. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Greenpeace strikes me as an organization that has the best of intentions but without weighing all the consequences. If you genetically alter soybean or corn crops so they can grow in semi-arid climates, or so they don't need pesticides... is that a bad thing?

As far as donating money to charities... we give to the Salvation Army, and that's it.

There's yet another big charity scandal here in the States, both have to do with helping our veterans and it appears almost nothing went to the folks people imagines their money going to. Worse than that, both charities had hired the same company to drum up donations and they owe that company millions.

17. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0

Yes.
    First you've introduced a species to a new environment where the species itself should not be able to survive. In doing such something else has to move out or be put under increased pressure in the environment. At best you might see it lower populations of other species, at worst it will out-compete and destroy other species.
    This is without even considering the problems of genetic evolution and variation within the species you introduce after its introduced; nor considering the probables with any cross breeding and hybrids.

And that is without considering knock-on effects of the changes that such crops can bring.

The potential for causing damage is vast

18. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    You could say the same about farming any land then with any crop. It is a hole for resources that people dump local resources into. Nature and evolution are twisted chaos that have made a world of suffering, we must tame it and to do so we will have to make sacrifices just as nature does normally. Survival of the fittest is by far one of the most cruel and uncaring concepts but people always overlook it when applied to the natural world as a whole. They say it is serene and peaceful while people are evil when people are the byproduct of survival of the fittest.

As long as we leave some sanctuary bending nature to our favor in our controlled areas will be the best for even Earth in the long run. And preserving species is something that nature doesn't even care to do.

19. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Well in theory nature isn't something that "thinks" so it can't "care" to do anything. That said species survival and competition is actually far more complex than the simple "most things die". Actually most eco systems will typically end up in a state of long term balance.

As for the first part, yes selective propagation and promotion of a single crop does adjust the environment. But there is a world of difference between promotion of a naturally occurring plant in its normal ecosystem - and the introduction of alien species to a new environment esp when that species has been modified from its original form.
    Just look at the problems with grey squirrels in europe; or bullfrogs in Australia.

20. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I suppose it depends how well we contain the nature we adapt so it doesn't leak out and unbalance the ecosystem. Crops aren't as invasive because we have control over where they go, but the risk of somebody or another animal accidentally spreading it could be risky. For barren ecosystems I can't see much harm in it though.