what's so great

Discussion in 'Harry Potter' started by Tolman Muggworts, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Tolman Muggworts

Tolman Muggworts claymore wielding hobbit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd just like to know what is so great about Harry Potter anyway. Like, what makes it so interesting?

2. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    The thing is,Ms Rowling's command of English is excellent,and the plotline is superb,and the characters are very unique,and she has written the book series in such a way that one believes Harry and company are real

3. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Bullhonkey, everyone of them is a knock off of a LOTR character, I can't remember the names, but you tell me what they are about, and I'll tell ya who she knock them off from from...I know a few... Harry=Frodo, harrys buddie whats is name,, is like sam, silly blundering, but saves the day. And then the head wizard dumbledore, obviously a Gandalf wannabe. and of course your dark lord Vuldemort=sauron. and then I heard there was a Giant spider= shelob, and a snake that if it looks at you can kill you, or hypnotize you, sounds like Glaurung.....

4. frodogurl49

frodogurl49 Jedi Sabermistress

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I could almost argue that Harry potter is a twisted rewrite of star wars (the last three episodes mind you.) also that Ms. Rowling stole some of her idea for the sorcerers stone from the myth of the philosopher's stone (she said it her self without noticing it!) I liked the first three books because I had not yet read the lord of the rings and i felt that the concept was fairly new to me at the time. I didn't care fro the last two because they were too bloody long and boring at times. and the fifth book was just plain confusing.

5. Deadsy

Deadsy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The original name of the book IS The Philosopher's Stone. It's called that in England. It's not like she's trying to keep it secret. (Not that I know what the original P stone story is that you're talking about).

Anyway, they're great because they're funny and entertaining and.. ya, I just love them. It took less than a week to read the first 4. But The Wheel of Time is better. Check it out =o).

The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    It seems to me, Harry is all about recognition and escapism, in the right quantities. On the one hand, the fantasy world paralell to ours, in the other, recognisable characters and their relative actions makes a believable world, seemingly better than ours but not too far fetched. It is very accesible and a lot of people can relate to it. JRK mastered the art of making a fantasyworld believable. There are few who could do likewise, and they have all big names (such as Roal Dahl).

Furthermore, there is the briliant touch of the writer, with her sense of humor, woven in a solid story line. She has a way of writing accesble yo a large group. It is understandable by the little one's, but not at the cost of the grownup's experience. The only other writer I know of who mastered just that, was none other than JRRT (reffering to the Hobbit).

So byz, if you haven't put your nose in a HP-book, it shood be time to do so. You would be supprised at the depth of these "child books"!

7. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've always liked Harry Potter. I finally sat down and started to read the books. Im on the forth one right now. I must say that so far... #3 was the best. Something that hasnt been mentioned is that Harry Potter is fantasy right righttt... and since all of the young kids are reading it... theres going to be a huge burst of fantasy in the upcoming years. Think of HP different from LoTR... they are completly different types of stories... although somehow seem to share similar characters. I have nothing against Harry Potter and see no reason for anyone not to read this books... like ive been told many times before... and im sure everyone is sick of... dont judge a book (or movie) by the cover... or title... :)

8. Tolman Muggworts

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can appreciate the fact that she is a good writer. Still, I'm not planning on reading them any time soon.

9. Tolman Muggworts

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And what's the deal with all those wacked out names? Bernie Bots every flavor beans? Floo powder? Come on!

10. frodogurl49

frodogurl49 Jedi Sabermistress

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am sorry. I just recently learned that it was called the Philosopher's stone originally. They should have kept the name the same for all countries.The philosopher's stone:
    An ancient alchemist created it. alchemy,(I can't spell to save my life) is a religious practice that turns any metal to pure gold. Only the pure of heart can use it, though, or so the legend states. Also, supposedly, It containd the elixar of life, like in the HP book. As for the pure of heart comment, Only the pure of heart could get the stone from the mirrror in the HP book. That's it for today's lesson in ancient religous practices. Tomorrow: Human sacrifices. j/k.