What's more important. Looks or Personality?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Silvermune, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well I think the title is pretty self explanatory, when looking at a girl/boy what is more important to you, what's on the inside or what the person looks like. I know both can play a big role towards each other.

I personally think personality is more important to me, Anybody can change the way they look but never how they behave. I dated someone who was exceptionally attractive and ended up being the biggest pain in my butt.

So your opinions, whats more important when it comes to looking for a significant other and why :)

2. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Definitely personality. If someone is fairly attractive and has an amazing personality, you will slowly fall in love with their looks and eventually they will be the most beautiful person in the world to you. That's how it should work anyhow, and from experience I can say it's true.

That being said... there is a limit, obviously. But falling in love with a person's personality is infinitely more important.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    But can't you tell a lot about a person by their appearance and body language?
    They have done studies and sorry to say there is a correlation between looks and personality, and the ability to make snap judgements that are usually fairly accurate... that is, you can judge a book by it's cover.

That said, I've always discounted a person's looks and am far more interested in what's going on inside... but I have my limits. Now then and again, I have my own vanity; when I was in a very bad motorcycle accident and had my face rearranged I sure wasn't going to leave well enough alone. I found a talented plastic surgeon, one who usually worked on Hollywood types, and got my face back into some semblance of order.

4. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Personality is much more important to me, I mean, one does have to stand to be with that person as well, then only looks wont get you far.
    But looks is usually the first thing we see and is usually what gets us interested in that person, before we get to know them. But as Kakashi said, if someone has an amazing personality, they will be the most beautiful person in the world to you.
    And vice versa, a good friend of mine had the looks, but horrible personality, and eventually I found her so disgustingly ugly...

5. Kally

Kally Driving my own destiny.

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I think it depends really - I mean, obviously Personality > Looks. But when you first see someone and they're say, I dunno, look like they just smashed their face against a brick wall then put on some lipstick, you're gonna have your doubts. I think they both complement each other, really. Like Kakashi said, if someone has an amazing personality, and you fall for them, then their looks, good or bad, don't matter. They're beautiful to you and that's all that really matters, isn't it? And the same vice versa - it doesn't matter if they look like they could do a centerfold, if they're a horrible person that you can't stand to be around, there's going to be no attraction.

And yes, I understand that's one extreme to the other, and some vain people who aren't in it for the longrun would happily be with some horrible centerfold, lol.

6. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    in most cases, appearance is connected with personality (not taling here about handsome/ ugly) but how are you dressed, washed ->

in my case, this question is kind of dumb, you have to have both.... for some one to like you....and it really depends on person it self

7. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    Just wanted to point out that what we consider handsome/beautiful is subjective. It happened to me quite a few times that my friends were really surprised that I find a certain guy attractive and vice versa, some of my friends dated or even married guys I thought were incredibly ugly. For example I like guys to be adorable and with good hair and I don't mind if they are thin. Others like their men to be well-built and with a shaved head.

8. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    and, yet offtopic, darn you for stealing Jon Snow, motive! :D It was my idea..and then I saw you...I had to go off with Gaius Baltar

9. Oddrun

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    Mwahaha! Yes, Jon Snow is mine! :D

10. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    But, really can you imagine Jon Snow with hipster glasses?

11. Oddrun

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I don't have to imagine it, it's in my av : >

12. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Short term - looks
    medium term - personality
    long term - bank account balance ;)

Though seriously this is one of those cases where its hard to draw a line in the sand because the conditions are always so variable. In the end any relationship is going to be a combination of many various factors and depending on the people the various weights of each factor will change. Further to that is the fact that things change; appearances, personalities etc.... will shift and adjust through time.

13. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Personality all the way. I'd rather be spending time with people I have a great time with than a gorgeous shell of a human.

14. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Image, self-image, looks, perception, ego and personality are so completely interwoven, that I think there's not much to say about this.

I blame Descartes for this discussion >.>

15. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Looks will fade away, but personality is here to stay
    my my, hey hey

16. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    amen ^

17. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If it is lust you want then looks but if it is something more meaningful then personality. You could be the ugliest person on the planet but your pheromones may make you appealing, therefore, looks ultimately are irrelevant. Personality traits can last a life time so you need to gel in order to make it work, while looks may make the bad ones more bearable they will eventually grate on your every nerve. So, yeah personality will always be the deciding factor.

18. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Well, being a troll lookalike m'self, of course I'm going to go with personality, aren't I? I think Emelie was spot on with her observation that even the most attractive person in the world can become hideously ugly to you if they have an appalling personality. I've met people like that and, oddly enough, they seem far more unpleasant to be around than the ugliest person in the world with the nicest personality in the history of humanity. :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I will go with looks, 'cause I have no personality ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Neither because I could probably only become infatuated with like a robot or something.

Search tags for this page

personalty or apperance

appearance or personality
appearance or personality which is more important
personality is more important than appearance

personality or appearance

what is more important appearance or personality
what is more important personality or appearance
what is more important to your appearance or personality
which is more important a apperance or a character of a person
which is more important personality or appearance