What's going on?Seriously now...

Discussion in 'Questions' started by Foinikas, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Ok seriously...I wasn't gonna make a big fuss out of this but since someone,I don't know who,seems to be persistent,then I can be persistent too.And since I've been posting here for a few years I think it's my right to know what's going on.

3 days have passed and I haven't received any answers as to where did my thread about the sig go,who actually complained about my sig,why didnt he complain to me and most of all why don't we all sit here and discuss about sigs because when I was reporting sigs and complaining nobody took action.

Instead of that I had the exact thread about the sigs,closed or moved(can't find it) and today when i put a new sig i suddenly find it deleted and my options for a sig disabled.

This may cost me a temporary ban or something,but I don't wanna leave this matter like that because we're all supposed to be...mature and talk about that stuff.So don't I have the right to know what the heck is going on?At least who the heck complained about my previous sig?Who keeps "supressing" this subject?

DON'T delete this please.

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Supposed to be "mature" and talk about this stuff?

Being mature would be listening to what I told you. Let me look into it. I have to talk to the mods/admins involved. Being mature also would be handling this in private without the drama. But since you want the public drama, here it goes, hold onto your hat.

So instead of being patient and letting me look into it, you post a signature claiming "if you had balls you would have talked to me about it". Now as a "mature" individual, you would have read the signature guidelines.

http://thefantasyforum.com/showthread.php?t=6601

Pay particular attention to:

So, not only did you blow the "appropriateness" stipulation with using a Nazi quote in your original signature, your blew it a second time with the "if you had balls" signature. So I suspended your signature for the time being.

Now, when I removed your post demanding that the person that reported your signature come forward, I removed it, and sent you a PM telling you I would look into it. Now I don't know what you do in your life outside of TFF; but I work, and Nienor works. We both have families. And in North America it was Father's Day on Sunday, which means we were spending time with our respective families. I told you to be patient, and that it wouldn't get resolved right away. And I meant it.

Now about the original signature problem. About demanding "who" reported it. To be quite frank, you're not in any position to demand anything. If a member has a problem, they can report it anonymously. They don't have to answer to you. They don't have to be named, pointed out, or open to harassment. So drop it.

Your signature was reported, a staff member investigated and found it inappropriate, and removed it. That's their judgement, and I stand behind it. If you find the signatures of others offensive, then report them. It will be investigated, and dealt with. But if you can't put 2 and 2 together, in most parts of the world, Naziism is a sensitive subject. And someone found it offensive. And as I pointed out, the TFF staff reserves the right to give final judgement on the size, content and appropriateness of any member's signature. Period.

So that's where you stand. Nobody is "supressing" anything. We're trying to handle this tactfully and respectfully.

And on another point. Referring to an administrator as "Mommy Nienor" is not being tactful nor respectful. She bends over backwards for many members here, and has saved many a member's bacon over the years and doesn't deserve to be referred to like that.

So where we go from here is up to you. Either you can live with the rules here, or not. Nobody has a gun to your head making you post here.

3. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Skyanide I've always respected you and you know it.

But I got frustrated because someone reported this(without complaining to me first which I would totally remove the sig a.s.a.p. if someone told me they found it offending)and second because when I had reported Warlock Lord's sig,which was plain provocation and flaming (it was saying "Leader of the Macedonian Liberation Army against the tyrannous Greeks" a clear provocation concerning the whole Macedonia sensitive issue)nobody every did or said anything about it.I had reported it to you if I remember correctly,I'm not sure when it was though,it's been months.

Third...since when a verse from a song,that is referring to something that happened historically,is against the rules?If my opinion counts at all in the end,I find tearoutmythroat's sig concerning the Royalty offending,annoying and irritating as well as a bunch of sigs Anakin and Padme have had over time concerning either political or religious matters,that I and others have found annoying.

I thought this was like ..."whoa...everybody's free to say whatever they want after all".And suddenly somebody(who didn't even have the guts to talk to me first)reports my sig.

Edit: When I referred to Nienor as Mommy Nienor I didn't use the term to insult her,but to rather describe how the person who reported me acted like.

I only had 2 pms from ppl about the sig and none of them told me that it's offending to them.Now if it's one of them and they didn't admit it...it's a pity.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  4. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Foinkas, I think I was very professional when I originally PMed you. I was informed of a problem and I tried to quietly take care of what I was informed. Instead of you answering my PM, you decided to start a thread about it. All my original PM needed was a response from you that you felt the signature was not inflammatory, quoting a Nazi, etc and that you didn't think you needed to delete it. Since I can't read German, I would have accepted your response and consider the matter closed.

The way we take care of problems in the forum is a member makes their complaint to a staff member who then takes action about the problem. If we encouraged members to take care of problems themselves, there would be no end to the arguing and backbiting over minor issues. When a complaint occurs, we never disclose the person who made the complaint. Same thing, then the argument would never end. It's very simple, a member had an issue with your signature instead of calling you out in front of the entire forum, he/she wished to have it handled quietly.

I do not police everyone's signature. I already admitted I could not read your signature. I will never, ever get all the connotations of the statements in people's sigs. If a statement was offensive to you, it may have appeared innocuous to me. However, many people are offended by statements about Nazi's. Therefore I took the complaint seriously.

Your statement calling me Mom Nienor offended me. I volunteer my time here to keep some order in the forum and make it a better place for everyone. Truthfully, it's in a member's best interest not to offend me. I am most likely to be an advocate for members when decisions about forum discipline are made.

While I was not the personal who moved your original thread, I support their decision. The general chat area is not a place to argue over the forum rules.

5. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    And just to reinforce what Nienor posted, we have an anonymous reporting system to prevent (what should be) small problems from becoming big ones.

As far as I can see, it wasn't me that you contacted about Warlock Lord's signature. I have a 500 post capacity PM box that I seldom prune -- and I don't see it in there. If you have an issue, then present your case and it will be dealt with.

Take the signature of tearoutmythroat. Do you know what it refers to or where it's from? I don't think you do.

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858704428

It's not even referring to a specific monarchy, from what I can tell.

And as a general side note about signatures. On a number of occasions it has been suggested by the powers that be to abolish the whole signature feature. I've given my opinion opposing that as most of the problems are minor, but if this becomes a major issue I'll stop fighting it.

We should all be able to work this stuff out without resorting to that drastic of an action.

6. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I take that back, obviously we can't...:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.