What's a really bad Fantasy book/movie that you liked?

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Tamago, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    Here's the thing. Some of us, if not all, may perhaps HAVE liked (or still do so) some Fantasy books/movies/series that aren't exactly... well, they aren't good. They are generally considered rather embarrassing, low quality, and certainly not something to brag about. So, care to share that embarrassing piece of info with us? Is there any fantasy book/movie that's generally considered quite bad that you like/d?

For me, uhm, it has to be the first Twilight book that I read when I was in high school. I know, I know, it's really bad, but when I was 15 and I read it, I got hooked up on it and the romance. I liked it a lot at the time and I liked the idea of vampires going outside :eek:yes, it's that bad. But can't help it now, can I. I recall the story with a touch of silly nostalgia:eek: My darkest secret is out! What is yours?

(About movies, I don't know. Unfortunately, I'm probably not a very good cinematographic judge, so I wouldn't know what's that bad and what not. :D

2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Loitering from 2009 - 2018

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
  3. Tamago

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    Poorly written. Very predictable. Cheesy. Well, you ask the internet, there're a lot of reasons there. I'm not that familiar with them. I don't find the book well written and I don't think it's interesting on an objective level. But like it still, so I am not a good judge. Someone who's impartial should ask better. I actually enjoy reading the first book, not so much the others.

4. Mad Hatter

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    That's the mentality of a sheep.

So how can you find a book bad if you're not familiar with the reasons you find it bad?

5. Tamago

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    When the general view is taken into consideration, ofc. And this is what I'm asking about in this thread.

You're taking things out of context and extract the pieces that suit a certain type of critique. I said that being subjective as I am, I find it hard to see every misgiving that the general view sees. But I've also said that I find it bad because, to quote myself:

Also, I am specifically asking in this thread about the thingies that the are regarded bad by the general audience. So of course 'the internet' views should be and could be consulted when necessary. That's what we're talking about here in this specific thread, after all. :)

The General View has a certain standing. It doesn't necessarily imply that you should follow it. You can make your arguments, but I am not asking for them either. I am just asking about those things that generally people consider bad, but you like. I'm not even asking if you find them good... For instance, I find Twilight quite bad because it's written in a poor manner, everything is predictable, there are certain passages that I find even embarrassing to read and the whole narration lacks. A Lot! But I still like it, and I like those damn characters, even though their portrayal is poor and lacking. Like them still. But if I analyse the text, I find it bad.[/QUOTE]

6. Mad Hatter

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    My mistake, I wasn't aware that it was a publicly considered consensus.

7. Stormborn

Stormborn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 3 / -1
    Sagan om Isfolket.

8. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Heeeey, Sagan om Isfolket is something I would totally read again. It's really entertaining xD

9. Stormborn

Stormborn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 3 / -1
    Yeah me too, but the shoddy translation and language makes it painful. o_O I love the story and have very fond memories from reading it though!

10. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that I can agree on. But I kinda love the whole thing about it. Or maybe its nostalgia.

11. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    I never really understood why people hated that film so much, ok granted its cheesy and the graphics on the dragons have dated poorly (but were decent but not outstanding for their day).

Then again it had a poor legacy with that Bol chap who was dead set to destroy anything he could get his hands on to funnel money to his own sub-companies.

Still its not as if we are drowning in great DnD films (in fact the best I've seen is an anime - though the name escapes me now

12. Mad Hatter

Ratings:
    +642 / 8 / -5
    If memory serves, the acting in it was really poor. The main villain, his name escapes me, just seemed weird and hollow. Though it was a long time since I saw it.

13. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -1
    Two come to mind: Dragonlore: Curse of the Shadow. The bad? Low budget, cheesy effects, sub-par acting. The good? Actual fantasy storyline in which the magic is inseparable from the story, characters that are better than either the script or the actors. At least, I sense a depth to the characters that the actors and the script never seem to find. Some actually neat stuff, worth watching, at least once.

The other one is The Name of the King. Another Uwe Boll contribution, the budget and actors in this one aren't the problem. Jason Statham, Leelee Sobieski, John Rhys-Davies, Ron Perlman, Ray Liotta, Burt Reynolds. The problem is that the storyline is hollow and the characters are cardboard. The good? Some of the special effects are small and understated, but just lovely. Besides, it was good to see Burt Reynolds act again. Worth watching once, if your expectations aren't too high.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +737 / 7 / -2
    Probably the Redwall TV series. Even being aimed for kids doesn't make it absolutely ridiculous. There are so many absurd things that go on in that series. Which is what actually ends up making it hilarious, due to its awfulness. It's terrific.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rannveig

Rannveig Would Be Fantasy Hero

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When D&D made itself known to the mainstream world around 1980 or so, there was (of course) the desire to cash in on the craze. One of the first attempts to do so was a made for TV movie called The Archer: Fugitive from the Empire. It was more Conan than D&D but the battle choreography was comically bad. Still, I rewatch every so often because... well, not sure why, I just do.[​IMG]

16. Rannveig

Rannveig Would Be Fantasy Hero

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Been meaning to watch The Name of the King. Supposedly based on the Dungeon Siege game franchise which I enjoy.