What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Justice, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    At the end of this school semester I have a film project due in my film class. It has to be storyboarded, have a script written, and finally filmed and edited. I am planning on doing a swordfight between rivals over some buried treasure. Simple idea, but the basis of the film will be some awesome swordfighting.

Now, is there any specific idea that you guys have thought of that you'd like to see in a sword fighting film? The swordfighting will be a bit more Hollywood style, but without ridiculous acrobatics and impossible sword stunts like slicing through rock. Just want people to throw out some ideas.

2. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Fighting with swords, eh? I want to see some dirty fighting. *evil grin* Don't really see any of that. I have all these ideas and visions in my head from reading certain books...and I've never seen it on the big screen. Or any screen, for that matter. But I can't be more specific right now...sorry!

Who are you going to film? *grin* Will you be using your stuff?

3. Dalleron

Dalleron New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Rip off Ep. II (and whoever else has done it) and have someone fighting with two swords. Spinning and/or twirling can look good if done right.

What kind of swords are you thinking about using?
    I don't know if you play video games or not, but if you do, look at a game called Soul Calibur 2. It's a weapon fighting game with a few different swords, like a katana, a rapier type sword, one like the sword from crouching tiger.... There is some flashy stuff in that game.

Hope that might help.

4. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Do something like Amon Hen style. One thing I love about that was that it was a fight scene and not a sword fight. Sure they fought with swords, but they fought with daggers, fists, and rocks also.

5. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    stuff too like when sword fighting, if blocked and up close, kick the opponent. Another is kicking dirt into eyes, thats a dirty trick

6. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I agree with Winter. If it's a pirate/buried treasure theme, it's also quite plausible to use a cutlass and dagger, so you can have 2 weapons vs 2 weapons. THat stuff looks awesome if choreographed well (and I've got faith in you Justice after seeing some of your videos :)

The good thing with fighting with 2 weapons is that there's always something happening, and you can block and attack with each hand. If you've got a good fight partner, I reckon it'll rock!

Also, if possible, incorporate some grappling up close, maybe a weapon lock across the chest followed by a headbutt, that sort of thing. Make it nasty, like the semi-brawling style that Aragorn uses. The body is another weapon as well as your sword!

7. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Okay, been busy so haven't been able to reply.

Here's a mini version of the script. Has MANY omissions like camera placement, etc. Names haven't been given, but they will be eventually. I still have months.

Start: Forest (nature reserve near my house. I always film there).

Characters: Rich looking man, his servant, and me.

The rich man, a sheriff in imaginary English county Lancastershire, there could be one, not sure. During the 1500's. He is with his servent. They are waiting. Sheriff is holding a map, scrawled with writing.

Servant: Are you sure this is the place?

Sheriff: Yes. I've been here before.

Servant: When?

Sheriff: Five years ago. I hung a man here.

Scene changes to faded color. Flashback.

Sheriff: (holding scroll, reading from it)...and for these crimes you will be hanged by your neck until dead.

Me: *stares coldly at sheriff, not even paying attention to executioner*

*Rope gets thrown over a branch. The executioner puts it on me*

Me: *Looking at sheriff* I will live to see you die.

Sheriff: May God have mercy on your soul.

*I am standing on a large bucket. The executioner kicks it out from underneath me. A shot shows my feet drop, then the rope goes taught. The scene fades immediately to black. A gurgling, choking sound is heard, along with a slight snapping noise*

Scene changes to present

Sheriff: I hung that man here five years ago. we cut the rope and left him for the wolves. He wasn't quite dead, and he somehow pulled through.

Servant: And is that note from him.

Sheriff: It is.

Servant: Can I see it?

*Sheriff is handing it to servant when a voice says*

Me: I thought the note says come alone, tell no one...

Both turn to look at me.

Me: Now I'll have to kill you both.

Sheriff: How can you still be alive? You were dead, we checked.

Me: All I remember is waking up, my neck was broken and my lungs were on fire. Just because I stopped breathing doesn't mean I was dead. You should have made sure.

Sheriff: I will now.

Fight begins...

8. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    sweet, sounds great, what weapons are you thinking of equiping them with?

9. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    For saftey reasons the primary weapons will be Paul Chen practical swords, the Knight sword and the Viking (or maybe two knights). Other swords could include Museum Replicas Fastolf sword (which I just got today), Del Tin's 2123 Sword of Saint Galgano (it is unedged), and and Angus Trim AT1320 (very sharp, will be used only in a cutting demonstration). I will probably be wearing the costume in my avatar.

10. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    kinda off sub a little, in the avatar, your sword looks bent, is that just becuase of the angle? I hope, that looks like a great sword

11. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    No, it's not bent. That's my Museum replicas Albrecht II War Sword, my personal favorite. right now at least, I'm pretty sure my Angus Trim sword (when I get it) will be #1.