What to read?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Raal, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Raal

Raal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone.

I made a simulair topic as this quite a while ago, after i finished reading the two first eragon books, and i asked for your suggestions to what might capture me.

And so far, i've read the ASOIAF witch i enjoyed a lot, truely a special serie.

After finishing that, i read a Wheel of time, i enjoyed that a lot aswell, tho in a different way than ASOIAF.

And just recently I finished Sword of truth serie, as i also enjoyed a lot, in the same way i like Wheel of time.

I dont know, if i just enjoy fantasy so much, that i have a hardtime not enjoying them, or i've just been reading some magnificent books.

What i enjoy most in the books tho is.

Emotions ( i really love it when you can feel with the characters)
    Magic (Wizards, witches etc.)
    Dragons
    The "universe"

Those abowe is what i like to read about, so if any of you out there, know the name of a serie (can be a single book, but i would find it hard to believe that its possible to create a desent fantasy universe in one book), that contains what i seek, plz enlighten me:)

And it would be awesome if you can, without any spoilers say why you think it will fit me, and what you, yourself think about it. But a title is also enough, then i will do my own reseach! ;)

/love Raal

2. Raal

Raal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I must admit that this post was a mistake. I didnt really think about the other suggestions why older post had :)

But well, just suggest more! Wont hurt if someone tells me to read the same :)

3. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +738 / 7 / -2
    well, i'd say to read Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms.

considering there are hundreds upon hundreds of books, it might take you a while :D

but i'd also suggest reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Great series.

4. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Magician by Raymond E. feist has all of those traits that you like.

5. damiynn

damiynn Fantasy Author

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have a lot of those same things in my book, A King's Quest, and have gotten a really good review from sci fi fantasy world for it, check it out, By A V Wedhorn, the second should be out soon as well.

6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    Definatly check out the Malazan Book of the Fallen (first book is called Gardens of the Moon) by Steve Erikson == definatly has what you are after!
    Magaicain by Raymond E. Fiest is a fantastic work - another that should be on your list.
    I would also suggest (for the dragons) seeking out a copt of Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly - and older book but well worth searching for! (emotions it has in plenty)

As for feeling with te character - you cannot get much closer than you can to one of Robin Hobbs -- start with the Farseer Series (first book Assassins Apprentice) and work on the series from there ( first Farseer - then Liveship Traders then Tawny Man -- you have to read in order - its really a 9 book series!)

7. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Forgotten Realms. Once you've travelled the sea of awesome books that FR provides, then you come back and ask :p

Oh if you like good humour in your books, try Eddings. I relly enjoyed him. He has a great sense of humour imo, and puts it in well. He doesn't try to be overly complex or superly subtle. he offers good old fashioned Fantasy that satisfies the Fantasy craving in the soul.

8. Dragn9

Dragn9 Sorcerer Supreme

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to agree with Kakashi and Met....Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance are the way to go....besides they fill out these requirements:

Dragonlance is filled with lots of magic and an awesome group of characters that are well developed. There are lots of dragons associated with different allegiances and they play an important role in this series which makes it interesting to read.

Forgotten Realms follows the travels of a group of companions as well but the whole plot is different then that of Dragonlance. It has very in depth characters and you learn a lot about the individuals. This series imo is more action packed with all the fighting, and the skills of certain characters is amazing....