what power?!

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by r0144, Feb 27, 2007.

1. r0144

r0144 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i don't understand one aspect of lotr

the ring is supposively the ring to rule them all

yet only two powers it possess

repulsion with the war he the lord wipes out a battlion of men and elves

and invisibility where frodo wears the ring and dissappears

don't people question what's so powerfull about the ring to rule the other rings

the lack of power is dissappointing.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  2. Roland

Roland Go Horse's Go

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget it has power of all the other rings: in Sauron's hands it also created the Nazgul. It also grants Sauron the chance of ressurection as long as it is in existence he is tied to it and can come back. In ohter words it depends on the user. Frodo a hobbit can not use magic like Gandalf. Gandalf said that if he wielded the ring then he would have had a terrifying,unimaginable power.

I'm glad it's not too overpowered regardless, I wouldn't want the main character to have a ring that can destroy whole cities. Would negate the whole point of the narrative or at least make it incredibly easier.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  3. r0144

r0144 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i see, well at least they could have shown a power or two that was not so wimpy

when the lord or as you said as gandalfs had the ring they could have shown us something a bit more spectacular, for good sake it's also a book how hard is it to add a few fantastic scene in it's not like it's going to cost anything to write, no offence to the great men himself.

because it's still a let down, saying it had the powers of all the other rings mean nothing
    it's like saying you could fly and never showing it in movie or print, it's just a lot of hot air.

just venting

4. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ^ I think the posts above are missing the point a bit. The one-ring held a large part of Sauron's powers but there is no suggestion that it (the ring) holds a direct advantage in a fight, other than how it influences others' behaviour/feelings/emotions. Sauron's inherent power and his ability to wield the ring comes from being a maia (a powerful spirit or lesser 'angel' or even a lesser 'god'). The wizards Sarumon (Curumo), Gandalf (Olórin) & Radagast (Aiwendil) were also of the maiar. Although you do not see their raw power displayed often, there are examples ~ Saruman conjuring up the storm on the mountain & Gandalf's fight against the Balrog. Personally I prefer this understatement of power ~ you know it's there ~ but rather than the mega powerful just blasting away at each other we get to see how 'normal' characters can have an impact in this epic story.

I've finished my rant now too :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  5. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    What terrifying,unimaginable power would the ring bestow upon Gandalf that he does not already have?

6. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Put it this way. Gandalf is Maia. Sauron is/was Maia. What great powers did it give Sauron? No longer "a" Maia but "the" Dark Lord.

;)

7. rhapsody of serendai

rhapsody of serendai Thorn's Lover

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    Whoa, I never knew this!

8. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Yuppers, it talks about it in the Silmarillion. :) The balrogs also were once Maiar, who turned to Morgoth and become the Umaiar. Accordingly, there are different levels of power among the Maiar.

Sauron was Morgoth's apprentice/henchman for ages, until Morgoth was captured, so we can only assume he attained some of Morgoth's skills or powers.

9. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I knew Sauron was a Maia....but Gandalf aswell? Omg wtf :S

10. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, Gandalf and the rest of the wizards are all Maiar in disguise as old men.

11. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Omg....then why does he act so useless?!?!

Oh yea...the Ring...since Sauron put essence of himself INTO it, how did it make him stronger? Or rather "the" Dark Lord...he had the same power didn't he?

12. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Gandalf was a maia from Manwe's household so must have been as knowledgeable (& powerful?) as Sauron you would have thought.

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    That's not the point...the question is...what powers that are so terrible would the Ring bestow upon Gandalf.

What does the ring actually give to you in terms of power?

14. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I think 'power' is probably the wrong word ~ I think it's more a propensity towards 'evil' ~ if I'm not mistaken one of the mean attributes of the one ring is that of being able to control and enslave the will of others. One of the main reasons Sauron invested so much of his power into the ring was to try and subvert the other powerful rings of power ~ particularly the three elven rings Narya (Gandalf), Nenya (Galadriel) & Vilya (Elrond) made by Celebrimbor.

We do know what these 3 rings main properties were:

Narya had the power to inspire others to resist tyranny, domination and despair (in other words, evoking hope from others around the wielder), as well as giving resistance to the weariness of time

Nenya's power was preservation, protection, and possibly concealment from evil ~ Lothlórien would not have fallen unless Sauron had personally come to attack it.

Vilya (the most powerful of the 3, but least known about it) ~ powers include healing and to preserve, rather than to enhance the strengths of the bearer ~ there is some speculation that the ring controlled minor elements ~ ie control over the river which unhorsed the Nazgul,

15. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I always thougt that the 3 rings symbolised an ancient greek element.

Narya, Ring of Fire (Gandalf).

Nenya, Ring of Earth (Galadriel)

Vilya, Ring of Water. (Elrond)

I am fairly sure that at least Narya made Gandalf as strong as he was against the Balrog, fighting Fire with Fire. The water element in the flushing of the Nazgul is Elronds work, to which he later admits. And Galadriel says her forrest will fade and die if the One Ring is distroyed. That is the power of the (lesser) elven rings on display.

On the power of the Maia, I think we should note that Sauron is probably one of the most powerfull Maia in existance. I don't feel like looking it all up, but from what I can remember, he was related to Mandos and very high in his ranks at that. But he chose power and Melkor in stead, in his hunger for more or by deceit of Morgoth. Gandalf would not have been able to handle him, save, maybe with aid of the Ring, which is, naturally, a contradiction.

And there are more powers to the ring. There is the one of far sight and immortality at the very least. But I can remember someone, I think Gandalf, saying that more power could be gained through study of the ring. We haven't seen much of it's power, as it has not fallen into the hands of a skilled ringwielder. Isildur took it up for a while, although it is unsure whether he studied it's power. Smeagol just used it because it enabled invisibility, as did Bilbo. Frodo also used it for it's far sight, which is still quite a save function. I'm sure that an immortal, invisible Boromir or Aragorn would have been more dangerous still then they would be without the ring, but that would hardly be the merit of it's power. And I am not sure these would have been able to substract it.

I see the Ring as a computer. You will never understand it's power when you just use it to type a letter or send some email. People with more skill and knowledge like the Istari and ancient elves like Elrond, Cirdan and Galadriel would be able to do FAR more with it. Luckily they never got (or: gave themselves) the chance. For even they would have been corrupted...

16. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    man, you guys know so much about Lord of the Rings (and don't worry, this IS a good thing :D)

i haven't read much LOTR background, but i just never really thought about it, i just thought, it IS powerful and didn't question it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  17. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    The rings certainly have links to elements but perhaps not the ones you'd expect

Vilya (Elrond's) ~ the ring of sapphire is associated with AIR
    Nenya (Galadriel's) ~ the white ring is associated with WATER
    Narya (Gandalf's) ~ the red ring is associated with FIRE

The Istari (wizards/maiar) were never sent by Manwë to directly fight Sauron but were to give strength & encouragement to the peoples of MiddleEarth to stand up to evil.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  18. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    The rings certainly have links to elements but perhaps not the ones you'd expect

Vilya (Elrond's) ~ the ring of sapphire is associated with AIR
    Nenya (Galadriel's) ~ the white ring is associated with WATER
    Narya (Gandalf's) ~ the red ring is associated with FIRE

The Istari (wizards/maiar) were never sent by Manwë to directly fight Sauron but were to give strength & encouragement to the peoples of MiddleEarth to stand up to evil.

Tolkien rocks ~ how many other fantasy authors create works still being interpreted 50yrs after publication? :)