What kind of fantasy do you like?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Herickson, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Herickson

Herickson New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I left the title kind of open ended for a reason.

Currently, there is a book I am writing that is up on the original works section and I wanted to talk to some of the users and ask them what they want from fantasy series, what kind of action, fighting, mystery, magic, and anything else they bring up that anyone wants to see in fantasy. This is a free and clear posting area and I want to hear what people have to say.

There is no right or wrong answer, so put up anything and everything. :)

:ybounce:

2. Tabris

Tabris 11.11.11

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I personally love typical high fantasy - elves, humans, dwarves, magic, wizards... And I love bits about scholars, scrolls, religion, mystery and stuff like that. But I'm not neceessarily that interested in loads of action, I am just as happy with mystery, descriptions of everyday life - that sort of thing.

3. Herickson

Herickson New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That makes sense.

I am sure that you are not the only person that finds satisfaction in fiction that has a basis in reality. Is 12 kingdoms one of the shows/mangas that you like? If you have not seen it, that is an anime that might suit your fancy, it is really quite a beautiful story and though the beginning is quite action heavy, later on you get a great taste of life in their fantasy universe.

4. Tabris

Tabris 11.11.11

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No, I haven't seen it. It's probably great, but when it comes to fantasy, I prefer the western type. :)

5. Herickson

Herickson New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Western fantasy stuff is awesome. I was a major fan of trigun. It is really too bad that there are not enough western fantasy things. Vampire hunter D is kind of a western fantasy, but I feel like it strays into plain old post apocalyptic and passes western up almost entirely for a creepy (which is awesome) feel.

6. ML Hamilton

ML Hamilton ML Hamilton

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like books with characters that have depth and feel real to me, no matter how out of this world they may be. I can read almost anything if I like the character. I also like larger books. If I'm going to make a time commitment to your book, make it worth my while. I'm not overly fond of books that end just as I'm getting a feel for the world and who the people are that make it up.

7. Herickson

Herickson New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I feel you on that.

When it comes to writing, I have read/watched movies/ played games where the character that I felt the most interest in never got a spotlight.

For example, in bleach the bald dude is my favorite (Besides ichigo of course) and the fact that his Zampacto broke through use was a cool add-on. I like that in Bleach the different characters get a spotlight (Even the boring ones), but to be truthful, that is what makes it in my opinion a solid story. The characters are well developed and the story is both impressive and fun.

For my own writings, I like to have major events that are effected by smaller events. I want the back stories to come out through the story and I do not like exposition and telling the reader, "This is who he is". "This is what is going on" "Here is the information you requested" directly. I want to put it into the actual story, so that the back story has an impact on the now.

Another story device I use is informative pieces at the head of a chapter, but those pieces are there to give the reader optional perspective. The information is still available throughout the meat of the book.

8. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I prefer the dark, irony filled epic fantasy with political intrigue, social criticism and a portion of cynism.