What is your gaming setup?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by anonymous, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Heya Cedric! Long time no see....

I think AA hit the nail on the head. If you're going for a quality high res card, it's going to be GTX 970 and up right now. Of which I personally consider the following cards worth their money: GTX 970. One should set you back about € 350.

If you're looking to spend a bit less, I suppose you could also make do with an R9 380 or a GTX 960, both going at around the € 200 price point.

... but you're probably spending more on the monitor in the first place. High res monitors typically aren't cheap. Please also note that GTX 970 is the given minimum GPU spec given for Oculus Rift, if that means

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I looked up the GTX 970 superclocked, which came at a good price and think would be a good graphics card. I mean there is a big difference in price between the 970 and 980. But technically speaking is there such a big difference between them? Anyway thank for all your advice, though I know I need to update more than just my graphics card

3. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
  4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    In the realms of seeking advice on a totally different subject my Logitech G5 is dieing on me - the scroll wheel no longer scrolls and whilst I've tried opening it up and cleaning it out its not helped at all.

Sadly it might be time to retire and get a new one although darn it I like that mouse. Trick now is finding a wired most (I dislike the notion of having to charge my mouse to make it work when all its going to do is sit right next to the computer allllll day).

At the moment a Logitech G500s is looking the best compared to the old G5 - although I have to import it from the USA as its a little older. Though there' sa good few retailers on ebay selling them so its not a problem.

5. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I'm currently using a G502. They're a bit controversial - slightly heavy, even without the weights - but mine fits really well in my hand. That's about all that counts, really.

If you're looking for a hybrid wireless setup, Logitech MX Master might be a mouse for you. It runs in the same vein as the G502, but on Bluetooth 4.1 (receiver included). It can charge on micro usb cable, and act as a wired mouse that way. The matte gold trim might be a bit much for some users, though.

These mice won't run cheap - but looking at where you came from, that's not what you're going for?

6. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Steelseries rival for the win

7. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    yes there is.. however... In most games you probably wont notice.. at least not yet. It will all depend on your setup. There is no point having a 980 if your processor is an old piece of poo. Well the same goes for a 970 for that matter or any 9 series for that matter.
    If you have an old rig with a slow cpu and not much ram (by today's standards). It it like attaching a double car trailer to a mini.. it wont pull the weight.
    You also need to understand that the 9 series nvidia card requires a 6 pin and an 8 pin power cable from your power supply. So a new power supply might be needed. (Always check the recommended power supply wattage on the cards box then make sure your power supply wattage is OVER that recommendation)
    Back to your question.. yes the 980 performs better. However the 970 is a solid card that still is fantastic. At the moment you probably wont notice the difference in most games. Just make sure it isn't one of those cheap knock off cards with one fan on it because it will overheat. You want one with 2-3 fans.

actually that brings me to another question.. your tower size? is you have a smaller tower, getting that massive bastard in there and attaching said cables might be a problem.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Like I said I'll probably need a whole new computer. I don't think the suggested card can fit in my current one. Atm I have 8gb Ram of memory, but I'm aiming for at least 12. Last and most recent game I played on my computer was the last Dragon Age and it suffered a lot of lag and the graphics weren't even top notch. They couldn't even compare to PS4 graphics. I think most setting on graphics were on medium, some on high. But now I want to see if I could get it to at least high. Wish I could get it on Ultra but that would require a major beef up, one with a card better than the GFX 970, I guess.

9. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    What spec are you currently running, Ced? Maybe we can get something to say about that as well :D

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I wish I knew them out of my head. I'm in Scotland now. I'll have to wait to gather money when I'm back home to get a new computer anyway.

11. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    For a build I suggest mine, runs very good all game ultra high graphics , tho I would suggest to go 16gb of ram and a bit more meatier cpu

12. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    If you ask me, if you want to be done with the whole thing for a decade or so, this is the setup I'd go with:

- Intel e5 1620 v3
    - Asus X99-A/USB3.1
    - 4x4 GB DDR4, 2400 Mhz (of your favourite brand)
    - Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512 GB
    - GeForce GTX 980 (of your favourite brand)
    - Seasonic Platinum Series 660 Watt

With the exception of the video card, that computer will last you an absolute decade or more. It will set you back about € 1.500, without an OS and case. But yeah... if you want to have the whole PC building thing over with, this is the build to do it with :p

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a very good deal. I also wondered if I should go for the GTX 980 instead of the 970 instead. It would be more expensive, but it would be a better investment. Though I'm not sure I can get such a computer at such a price. The store in my city, Bells, is quite expensive. We'll see, but thanks for the suggestions, everybody.

14. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Tbh GTX 980 is kind of an old card, not worth the price.

15. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    sits quietly in the background taking notes

16. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    You want to talk next gen?

The second generation Maxwell chips (including GM200, from which the GTX 970 and 980 are derived) are the last generation from nVidia on the 28 nm lithographic node. As it turns out, nVidia has shown itself to be the master of that particular node - though AMD has been severely constraint on its R&D budget. AMD can compete on just about anything, except performance per watt, which nVidia just about nailed on the second gen Maxwell chips.

Now, what you need to know is that nVidia and AMD don't make their own chips. Despite being considerably better than the previous lithographic node available to fabless chip manufacturers, 40 nm, 28 nm is just about the edge of what is possible with current technology. Due to some stupid physics laws, technologies with smaller feature sizes should have been using so-called finFET technology. There is a node smaller than 28 nm available, 22 nm, but that turned out to be completely useless for GPU technology. Intel, being the smartest kid in the class, of course knew this, and made sure their 22 nm node is finFET technology.

Now, though, after waiting for four years since the last node, we stand on the verge of not only one - but two contract lithographic manufacturers (TSMC and a Samsung/Global Fondries consortium) will finally deliver on the promise of finFET technology on a node smaller than 20 nm. TSMC will come with a 16nm version, whilst Samsung has shown itself capable of 14 nm. That will thrust the GPU market forward by quite a bit. Both manufacturers are expected to launch their champion cards around Q3/Q4 2016.

What is possible on these new technologies - AMD has pledged orders with Samsung, whilst nVidia is believed to stick to TSMC - is unknown as of yet. However, cards are believed to jump about 50 - 100% in terms of output at about the same energy consumption.

But again, that's going to be Q3 at the earliest - Q4 most likely. If you can muster the patience, then good things will come. Until that time, I think GTX 960 Ti is extreme value, GTX 970 is the standard for enthusiast gamers - and GTX 980 is just about the cap of what is reasonable to throw your money at.