What is your gaming setup?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by anonymous, Jan 6, 2016.

1. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    As we have many gamers here
    what is your gaming setup
    For me currently :
    Case - BitFenix Neos Midi-Tower
    CPU - Skylake i5 6400 2.7Ghz OC to 3.2
    GPU - OC GTX 970
    RAM - HyperX 8GB(DDR 4) single stick
    Motherboard - MSI B15
    HDD - WD 1TB 7200
    SSD - HyperX Fury 240Gb
    Keyboard - Roccat isku blue
    Mouse - Steelseries rival
    Headset - Steelseries siberia raw
    Monitor : LG 24inch smth smth

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    XBox.

Which has become a glorified dvd player as I don't play video games.
    The only games I ever bought were Bioshock 2, which I played for a few hours before getting bored, and another disk of various pinball games... which I enjoyed once or twice.

3. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Bioshock 1 /2 /3 are so good :/ tho

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I got tired of that creepy little girl showing up unexpectedly.
    Also, I thought the gameplay was a bit clunky having to tramp about in a metal suit.

5. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I play mostly retrogames nowadays. I got fed up by the videogame industry. I left gammming at the 6th generation of gamming consoles.

I am ok with firms earning an obscene profit from videogame making and trying to find ways to protect their market. I am not ok with videogame makers imposing DRM meassures that limit my capabilities of making backups of the game - because if you can't make backups, you won't be able to ensure that you will still have it 10 years later. I am not ok with games that require you to be connected online for solo play - damn, there are videogames that have lag when playing solo, wtf? I don't like games that are delivered in a half-baked state and you have to buy additional components for in order to have a full experience.

Oh, and I don't like needing a more powerful computer for gamming than I need for engineering.

So, my "gamming" computer (4 GB or RAM, Intel Core Duo CPU, Nvidia 7100 graphics, Linux OS) ends up playing retro or retro-like things mostly.

6. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    My PS3 broke about a year ago and we've got no money for another. I usually just use my hand when I want to play now. So my set up is a springy mattress. I've got BGEE 1 & 2 on my computer, though. But it's too old to play any newer games. I enjoy writing my own story better than playing somebody else's, anyway.

7. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    Oh I was a Skyrim fan, but. I'll get a PS4 only when Argonia Legendary Edition comes out. Hopefully I'll have money for it.

8. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    AMD Athlon X4 750K 4 x 3.40 GHz, 16GB RAM, an AMD Radeon HD 7750 4GB GDDR3 graphics card, a small 90GB SSD for the OS (everything else is on a second HDD or on my external drive), a cheap gaming mouse and a fancy keyboard with colourful backlight.

I also still have my beloved Xbox 360, which I barely use because I'm currently more interested in all the new Steam games I still want to play. :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +211 / 2 / -0
    Xbox 360 upstairs
    Ps3 and Ps4 downstairs
    Nintento 3Ds for wherever I am
    My laptop is old now and so isn't a gaming rig, but is powerful enough to handle the games I want it to.

10. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PS4 all in my room, and all get used still :D

I also have my 3ds for whenever the mood hits me, and a PSP, which I haven't touched in years, not since I couldn't get it to re connect to my internet.

and I play Archage at the lowest possible settings with a lot of lag on my mom's laptop.

I intend to get an actual gaming pc in the near future, but until then this is what I have.

11. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I currently play on an i7 860 with 8 gb of 1600 Mhz ram and an HD7870. For the most part, it does the trick :D

12. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    I have a ps3 (that I only ever play now for the sega mega drive/genisis games disk
    A Wii, that I got from a garage sale once and payed about 5 times then put in a box and never touched again.
    I have a psp but I haven't touched that in years.
    And 2 computers. Both custom builds.

Comp 1 is in my spare room / converted office and even tho it is far superior to my second PC, I only really use it for graphic design.

Computer 1:
    Core i7 4770k
    32gig corsair 1800mhz ram
    970gtx 4 gig
    1200 watt ps
    120gig samsung SSD
    2x 2tb internal HDD
    Asrock Z77 extreme4 MB
    Aftermarket CPU heatsink
    2x 32" tv/monitors
    Standard mouse / key board
    Standard 2.1 speakers

Comp2 ( the one I use for gaming mostly even tho its way slower.. however still plays games sweet. Plus I have this one in my bedroom)
    Core i5 3550
    8gig corsair 1800mhz ram
    gtx 760 2 gig
    650watt ps
    1 tb internal HDD
    2 tb external HDD
    Asrock Extreme 4-M MB
    Aftermarket CPU heatsink
    22" Monitor
    Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick
    Logitech 5.1 surround sound X530
    Loigtech G15 Keyboard ( the older blue led one with the fold down lcd screen, not the newer orange led one with less macro keys and a fixed lcd screen)
    Logitech G502 mouse (which honestly I'm not a fan of)

when comp 2 becomes useless for gaming, I'll use comp 1 as my gaming rig and buy a new graphic design rig if money permits.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  13. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    I think you mean 1 gig(1 TB?) HDD?
    Well I strongly suggest swaping to ddr4 , if your motherboard allows it. 2 comp seems sweet, only the GPU is weak, and you can OC that.

And isnt GTX 970 a bit to weak of a GPU for graphical designs? My friend got 2x Titans and still cries, that its slow.

14. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case
    Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Win 8.1 64bit
    GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    Logitech G5 mouse

And gah after checking my build on PC Part Picker it only comes to £700 now a bargin! The only thing I'd like to upgrade is the graphicscard at some point in the future although its really only Witcher 3 that will be need it

15. AlphaAlex

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    haha yeah fixed the mistake lol.. and yeah the 970 is ok for graphic design.. But I'm not rich enough to be able to afford 2-4 newer or more powerful cards in sli atm. lol. Mayybe next build.. both comps are a few years old now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Who can advice me a great graphics card for playing games on a really high resolution for a good price.

17. AlphaAlex

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    you pay for what you get mate. You can buy cheap but in 2-3 years the cards will struggle. Nvidia cards are awesome however ATI cards are coming back with force. Especially with the new DirectX that Ati cards work better with. ATI Cards are a cheaper option and may be worth considering.. either way.. You will want to get something good and actually wax your cash on it. Otherwise, you'll be be left with a card that cannot run new games well and wishing you spent the extra few coins.

IF you just wanted to buy a card that can run current games on hi res at a low price, You could get a 760gtx or a Radeon HD 7750. Both those Will play new current games at high res at reasonable frame rates. However like I said, They will not hold up to the next generation games. A more expensive option would be to get a GTX 970-980 or Radeon R9 290x.
    I have a GTX970 in one of my comps and still a old GTX760 in the other.. and the old 750 still smashes out games at lower 1680-x1050 res on a 22" monitor.. I does struggle a little when attached to a 32" tv running at 1080 in some games. (22fps in some games. I even got it as low as 14 in one game at one certain area. Albeit only for a moment.) It will struggle more in the next year and I'll have to use my other comp with the 970 to play games.

My advice is to talk to a computer store and say.. " I have 'X' money what do your recommend then say 'How much is the model up?"

Edit: You also need to understand that newer cards require more power cables from your psu.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  18. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The card you need depends on the things you want to do with it.

Hell, there is people spending more in gamming than some engineering departments spend in building simulations.

Many people will tell you to buy a really high-end card - which is a sure way of having a card that won't be obsolete in 3 years. The problem is that it can be really pricey, require additional cooling and a new power supply unit for the computer, and be completely overkill. If you play mostly retrogames or are not interested in playing the most recent stuff as soon as it is released, then you don't need to spend 200+ bucks in a graphic card. If you want to play the more recent games as they are released, then you need heavy machinery yes -or-yes, at least in the long run.

As a rule of thumb: get some modern games and check the minimum requisites. If you are an occasional gammer, get to a website and buy the cheapest model that is equivalent to the average minimum graphic chip. If you are a hardcore gammer, you will want a graphic chip similar to the ones of the "recommended" requisites.

19. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well dont talk to the computer store, clerks there usually dont know shit and just want to sell you stuff store manager made them to sell (like excess stuff in storage etc) price range would help a lot

for a medium price I suggest Geforce 950 ti

20. AlphaAlex

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    That is a solid card and at a good price. the 'ti' is the two magic letters to look for.