What is the point of a battle ready sword

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Halo's Hobbit, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like your friend had a stainless steel display katana and a big mouth :)

2. DragonQueen

DragonQueen I AM YOUR QUEEN

Is in a pretty place with flowers and sunlight and
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    battle ready stuff is good to cut thing in half with... unless you actually sword fight for sport ...(i fence).... cutting things in half is the only reason i want a light saber...

3. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Um... did you hit the swords together??? And NO blemish? The edge on a katana is a brittle thing, almos like glass. It WILL shatter under the right circumstances.

Folded 200 times??? If you fold a sword 12 times it will have about 4096 layers of steel. Many of the layers become so thin you can no longer see them. 200 times would make each layer pretty much sub atomic in size, therefore defeating the purpose of folding steel which is to show the hada, or grain structure.

Folding steel doesn't make it stronger, especially nowadays. It was done to redistribute impurities in the steel. If anything it could even make the blade slightly weaker, but giving it no specific weak point which is a plus for a Japanese blade.

4. DragonQueen

DragonQueen I AM YOUR QUEEN

Is in a pretty place with flowers and sunlight and
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ok this has no point but sean connary's sword in highlander was folded like 200 times i think......oh well im add off to another thread!!

5. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    that wasa movie... and in the process of folding steel you slwoly use carbon and iron. Japanese smiths start out with rougly 5-6 pounds of steel and end up with a sword weighing 3 pounds after all the folding they do, which inst that much. Imagin how much steel would be left after 200 folds.

6. Kellarly

Kellarly Snow Merchant

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A very decent pocket knife ;)

7. The Wild Turkey

The Wild Turkey Accept no susbstitute

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That can cut through cannons barrels, slice and dice concrete blocks and reunite Tom and Nicole. :D

8. Kellarly

Kellarly Snow Merchant

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow, now thats a sword!!! Where can I get me one of those....

....ohhh someone on ebay has one ;)

9. Cudgel

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would so want a sword that could cleave through concreat and gun barrels.

10. CamFreebooter

CamFreebooter Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When someone wants more of a discussion on the 'blunt vs sharp' debate, let me know. I seemed to have joined too late to contribute to previous posts. I registered just for this thread and regret missing it.

11. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    What's your angle on the blunt vs sharp thing?

You could always make a new thread and we can discuss it there.

12. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh and another answer to the question that this thread asks (and I know this is so corny). The point of a battle ready sword is the side that should be pointing _away_ from you ;).

13. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Granted, but the stuff I was testing on was bad parts from horse trailers. Some were straight and some were round or formed. None of it was hardened though.

14. Cudgel

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    and what gauge metal were the horse trailers made of?

15. John Lundemo

John Lundemo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi, just wanted to add that the folded 200 times etc. from movies and folk lore, could be mistaken for 200 layers. You don't count each layer as a fold. If you count the layers and come up with 200 that really isn't very many layers, when good damascus or pattern welded steel is well over 300. Course the type of steel in the layers and ratio of one to another is important as well as heat treat/temper. I made a couple blades from some 700+ layers I got from Jerry rados and the pattern is really tight. That is made from 2 different steels. Japnese tamahagane is a low carbon steel core with the outside skin and edge being a higher carebon steel folded over itself certainly not 200 times, as Justice has mentioned. Each time you fold a stacked layered piece it is doubled and then the new higher number is doubled when folded again. There is alot of damascus steel that looks good from across the room but if close up you can se low layers. Some folks like it though. I wouldn't want to go less than 500 layers myself. My apprentice has a damascus piece of blade steel that is well over 1000 layers. You have to get pretty close to see the pattern.
    Haven't posted here in a long time, hope I didn't bring up a bunch of ancient junk. I'm making a zweihander now from some real high layer damascus and you can bet I will make it sharp. I like a good blunt as well for sparring sword to sword, but historically most sword were made to cut, except for a few saber designs used in cavalry applications designed to break collar bones like some scimitar styles, but this is debatable as well.

16. CaPtYnCrOnIc

CaPtYnCrOnIc The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that was interesting :) (referring to the thread in general)

I have a hard time believing that any sword could cut through steel(what was it you said 12-16 gauge?) and come through it intact. I would think you would notch it horribly or flat out break it not to mention it getting stuck it it did make it through it.

Fighting against an armored opponent with a sword would be a short match unless you were likewise armored. A mace would be much better, or a heavy crossbow with armor 'punching' heads.