What is the point of a battle ready sword

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Halo's Hobbit, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Halo's Hobbit

Halo's Hobbit Born into a world of Hate

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i do not see the point of a battle ready sword unless you want to chop somones head off?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  2. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Re: What is the piont of a battle ready sword

Chopping their legs off?

J/K. Some battle ready swords are used by re-enactment groups and arent actually sharp, they are only as durable as actual swords but with blunt edges and dull tips.

Or collectors just prefer an actual sword to one made for just displaying.

3. R. Laine

R. Laine New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: What is the piont of a battle ready sword

What is the point of owning a horse unless you plan to do your intercity/country transportation with it?

What is the point of collecting stamps, unless you plan to use them?

Some people, me included, use "battle-ready" swords (well, blunt ones...) to practise historical fencing techniques (wallhangers, in addition to being extremely fragile, have a tendency to handle like crowbars...), others, including me, enjoy using them in cutting exercises, some, including me, find collecting functional, historically accurate swords more appealing, etc.

Best wishes,
    Rabbe

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  4. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Why do people collect genuine articles and prefer them over mere replicas? (This is a rhetorical question) I think it's a very simple concept, even putting aside the other uses that people have for battle-ready swords

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  5. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I personally like having the "real thing" if you will over just wall hangers.

6. Thingol

Thingol New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it's like having a car without an engine... it doesnt feel the same to grab a battle-ready sword, than a non battle-redy, you feel like something's missing, you feel in someway empty...

7. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I always compare it to having a real painting hanging on your wall, or a replica-poster . First of all, replica's can be very nice but like Thingol said; something's missing (otherwise it wóuld be a battle-ready sword :)). Secondly you really get a sense of respect for the craftmanship that goes into it. So even if you don't plan to actually use it, owning a battle-ready sword is perfectly normal.

8. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    We may have all gone through a phase where we held a wall-hanger sword in our hands, felt transported over the barriers of Time, and remarked, "gee, it must have been just like this", then found out that it wasn't like that at all. When you have a battle-ready sword in your hands, and can do some test-cutting, it really gives you a feeling of connection with the past.

9. Kuja

Kuja New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what's the point of repeating 'whats the point ' [of]

....i think we GET the point...

10. R. Laine

R. Laine New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure if that was directed at me or someone else, but in any case, what I tried to say is that quite a few things that are considered perfectly "normal" are equally pointless.

Magnificent.

Rabbe

11. Blade Lord

Blade Lord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a katana that is unsharpend and it just isnt the same swinging it around. plus like if someone breaks into your house and liek your gun is up stairs (my sitchuation) and the swords are closer grab one and lundge

12. Gregorius0202

Gregorius0202 The Bronze Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Functional weapons just connect people that much closer with the past that they're admiring by becoming interested in weapons and warfare in the first place! Whether it's for reeactment, wall hanging, or wearing around because it's legal where ever you are, it's always much cooler to be able to say:

"This sword is made and works just like the one's that they used a thousand years ago!"

Than:

"Yeah, this sword looks awesome, huh? But it was made in a factory, and if I hit something with it, it would probably break..."

Get the point:D :p *Hints sarcasm directed at posts above his own*

-Gregory-

13. Fingon

Fingon The High King

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well....for people like me....I am in the archery and fencing teams...I use battle ready swords. I even got a huge scar to proove it. I once got shot by an arrow...not a very nice feeling, but it went okay :)
    ~Fingon

14. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Try buying your wife a cubic zirconia engagement ring and see how she reacts Halo :)

Just because it's a sword, a weapon, people for some reason ask "Why get a real one of those?" But most people can understand why someone would pay big money for a genuine Shelby Cobra, as opposed to a kit car. Or why someone would pay $$$ for an original painting, when they could just buy a $20 print of it. People get fixated on the "sword/weapon" side of things, rather than appreciating it for being a "real/genuine/original" item.

15. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Cuz some of us want to actually do test cutting ith a live blade with out eh worry of it snapping at teh tang and becoming a mislie weapon, or whe dont it suddenly warp from cutting?
    And its like everygbodsy said.
    its real, not fake. A real blade will feel alive in your hands nothing quiet like that feeling.
    Me and m friends used to do cutting with here wall hangers....they are now trashed...alot. WAped horibly

16. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I can not really say something to top all of this stuff off...

17. slash

slash Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    with a battle ready sword you can acually cut stuff . you should only get a battle ready sword if you go to a dojo or want to cut stuff. no point in gatting it as a wll hanger

18. John Lundemo

John Lundemo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well there is also those who like to do cutting practice. Things like Tatami matts or water filled soda bottles, pol noodle etc. THis is when a sword needs to be strong with great heat treat and temper, plus a good balance and weight. You can take it off the wall and have some fun, safely of course. Plus sparring blunts must be strong and hard and perform as the historicals.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Galenas

Galenas New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess everything's been said that can. Battle ready are usually carbon steel.....they have some flex which the stainless steel replica/ornamental won't. Most are safe for some cutting and even some drilling metal on metal, all are safe for solitary drilling.
    If you want a blunt or a sharp that is going to be safe and reliable, get thee to a swordsmith and plan on paying a few hundred.
    Nuf said.

Gal

20. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have noticed that a lot of people want to know thier sword CAN be used even if they have no such intention. Also a fully functional blade is better made than a "wall-hanger" and will both last longer and look better in most cases. :cool: