What is something that you'll never get to do that bums you out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by olivia_the_lamb, Mar 24, 2013.

1. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    I know a lot about theoretical physics, and theoretical physics are based on math (math and observations ) and you can`t observe a wormhole or even it`s conseqounces. You observe a event and then you create a module for it, and all wormhole modules are "for fun", trust me real physics try to explain event you can simulate or observe.

2. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Theoretical physics still encompasses all of the math that is used in "real" physics. If anything, theoretical physics is harder because you're working off of theories and hypotheses that are unable to be proved, which then leads to the work of making a way to prove them.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

One would hope so... even vampires don't live forever. ;)

It's going to be one messy wreck in the cosmos in four billion years as two galaxies shake hands and become one. Thankfully, you and I, and all of humanity will have long expired.

4. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    the task for theoretical physics is to create math which can be tested by experimental physics.

You can wonder around the number and calculation to make the sun a black hole -same mass, same energy, even same heat... but no light. The theorectical physics isnt not hard or easier than regular physics it`s just different.

With no proof and no experiment, I can say that even a anonymous-hole exists, you can`t prove it dosent, and I can`t prove it does. So for physicist it`s an idea - which until proven does not exists. And I can write a book about it, say some fancy words, show some floppy mathematical module - but it will not make it real.

So wormholes - no, they are not real, based on many observation form quantum physics, there`s a more elegant explanation than a simply hole in space-time. (or even wrapped space-time...) It`s and interesting idea - but nothing more.

5. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    No one said they were real, I just said they exist on a theoretical level, which means they don't exist -_-

6. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    existing in theorectical level is not the same as existing in theoritical physics :p

at moments like these I am really glad that I chose to study physics...meh I love it.

7. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I don't even exist :p

8. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    you do...

I think I should spam more about the rpg :D

9. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I don't, but yes you should lol

10. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Live forever as a cyborg.

Hopefully by the time I die though our technology will be several steps closer, seeing progress in transhumanism will be enough to satisfy me.

11. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I think it's a generational issue. I was born in the gap between the Baby Boom and Gen-X, but my siblings were all born in the late 40s and early 50s. My parents gave me the same load of societal expectations that every Boomer got, and those included that when you grow up you get married and have kids. Likely it's influenced by my own slightly skewed psychology.

12. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Part of the problem there is the Christian culture in North America. Go ahead, bust your gut laughing. We have a strong cultural bias toward the man making the first move. I can't make a move on a 28-year-old woman because I dread looking like a dirty old man, and she won't because some ozzieandharriet told her she shouldn't. Catch 22.

That cultural bias, incidentally, is one I don't share. More than once I've urged a woman to approach a man she's interested in. But the bias is there. Being shy doesn't help either.

13. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Y'know, I should have mentioned going into space, too. I guess I dealt with it over the years, but it's one of the things I dreamed of when I was young. I spent the summer of 1969 playing astronaut, collecting moon rocks up at the cottage.

14. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    You can change your psychology, always.

Sparrow is from North America ;) And I'd go for an older man if that's what my heart called for, but I'm perfectly happy with my boyfriend who is 4 years younger than me... which is also looked down upon. He was 19 when we started dating, and he'll only be 21 in September. If he was older, no one would care, but I get a lot of crap for it.

I wish I could have at least been around then, when it was exciting that we went to the moon. My generation hasn't had too much of anything exciting happen space-wise. Just rumoured reports about what some probe is doing. Which I guess is exciting, but I'd like to see man in space, for real.

15. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    But he's not a Christian. There's a different set of cultural expectations among many people in the Church.

Many of my aunts and great aunts married younger men. So did my Mom, although Dad was only six weeks younger.

When I watched Armstrong and Aldrin walk on the moon, my grandmother sat there on the couch with me, saying "Won't it be wonderful when it really happens?" and "Isn't it wonderful what they can do with special effects nowadays." She was born in 1882.

16. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    It's true, but, as a former member of the church, there's nothing against marrying someone younger than you.

That's cute in a way, that your grandma didn't believe it. I know there's even a lot of people today who don't believe it ever happened. If she ever saw star trek, which happened 3 years before the landing on the moon, she'd probably think those special effects were amazing (they were)

17. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I find it dissapointing that I will never be able to visit the Kowloon Walled City in Hong Kong since it was completely destroyed and replaced with a memorial park :(

18. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    And some of them even dig immature guys too, lucky for me! :D

One thing that bums me out is that I'll never get to be handsome. (Not fishing for sympathy by the way. Just answering the OP.)

19. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    dude seriously of ALL thing you would like to have the most overrated things ever?!

20. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0