What is something that you'll never get to do that bums you out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by olivia_the_lamb, Mar 24, 2013.

1. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    For me, it's the fact that I'll never get to see space, (the final frontier... sorry, couldn't resist). I wanted to be a lot of things when I was a little girl, and one of them was an astronaut because I wanted to travel space. Obviously, my desire to be an astronaut was quelled by reality (like my dreams of being a Gerudo, but that's because Gerudos aren't real lol).

There are many things I want to do in life, including travelling to Japan, Greece, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Canada... essentially, seeing the world. But I will never see space, which I find to be extremely disappointing.

So what about you guys? Do you have any dreams like this that are just 100% unattainable?

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I've always wanted to marry and have children. But at 49, my odds of marrying at all are slim, and my odds of marrying to woman of child-bearing age are beyond remote. I'm old enough to feel that I will never be truly be an adult until I've done both.

3. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    What is it that makes you feel that you need to do both of those things to be an adult?

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Actually, it's the same for me... when I was your age, Liv, it was almost a promise that the average person might be able to experience Space or at least Low Earth Orbit by the turn of the century. But here we are in 2013 and it's not even in the realm possibility except for the incredibly wealthy among us.

My ultimate dream, the one I'd sell everything including my soul for... is to walk on the Moon.

5. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I'm 45 and the girl I'm seeing now is... hold your breath... is 28. And she was the one that made the first move, asked me out, picked me up at the house, and the date was her treat. I love modern women!
    You just need to find a woman whose interested in more mature guys, that's all.
    Believe me, they are out there and thank god for'em.

6. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    mine is exactly the same :(

7. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't give my soul to walk on the moon, but I'd give up all my possessions for it. I'd give my soul to be able to do something be on a starship and be able to see, at least, our galaxy.

I'm glad you said this because I wanted to, but seeing as how I'm not in the situation, it would have meant little coming from me.

It looks like I'm just going to have to build a time machine for all of us.

8. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    haha time machine...you are time machine lol, imagine you see everything in a fraction of a second in past :p
    yeah, I woud like to see a real teleport (not in atomic scale), but yeah..thats NEVER gonna happen :/

9. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I think you might get to see that, I mean that's something they're working really hard on, from what I understand. There's a little hope :)

And yes, I am a time machine ;) There's actually people out there that believe that our lives are really just a flashback, you know, the one you supposedly get right before you die. Crazy to think about!

10. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Lol, thats some deep thinking, but I think no, no flashback :p

A real life teleport...lol, no it`s not happening. They are trying to understand how electron jumps form orbital to orbital, and where it goes/what happens in between orbitals. ( see more about the law of uncertainly). And they try to make photons travel in time and space (wrapping spce-time in order to changes it distance) and even thats unseccsfull)

11. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    when i'm reading about astronomy..i'm always wondering about the fact that when we're able to see in the past being right where we are...we should also be able to see our earth in the past somewhere in the universe.. or am i thinking incorrect physicist :p? that would be totally awesome to see

12. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Shh, I'm trying to make you feel better lol.

But seriously, I'd love to see something like that as well. Maybe we can freeze ourselves for like, one or two hundreds years and wakeup and be happy because teleporting into space will only cost like 250,000 USD, but that will be about as much as 25 USD now because the value of the dollar will suck lol

13. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    teorectically, you could, but in order you would have to travel faster than speed of light, to actually see in your past.

And yes most of the star we see have already burned out :p

14. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah yeah i know that :p, but but but what if worm-holes exist?? then we could travel faster then the speed of light right? that would be soooo awesome...

15. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that's what we're gonna do :D :p

16. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Wormholes do exist on a theoretical level ;)

17. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Think of it this way... a light-year is a unit of distance, not time... that said, imagine you're orbiting our Sun in a spaceship and have a telescope pointed toward Earth. You are seeing what Earth looked like 8 minutes earlier. And indeed you are correct, if you were to look at Earth from our neighboring galaxy, the Andromeda Galaxy, you would see our planet as it once was. And btw, we're on a collision course with Andromeda...

18. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    buuhh theoretical :(:(

19. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    WOW, lets not get it over a line here. On which theoretical bases worm-holes do exists, on popular sciences magazines? On paper you can make all sort of thing exists without even bothering to test them...

20. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Theoretical science is just as important as hard science. I'm also not talking about popular science magazines here, I'm talking about real research.. and stuff.

And sparrow, I'm glad I'll die before we collide with Andromeda at least o_O