What is Love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Silvermune, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So I'm curious, Love is described as an 'indescribable' powerful feeling that you will just know when you experience it. So by your definition how would you describe it, I just thought I'd start yet another thread cause of small things going on in other threads :p
    its a big topic so I thought I'd ask.

I'll go ahead n do my best to put what I believe after I've had some responses.

also, I guess I'll throw in, Can it be easy? or does love always have to involve hard work.
    Can it just flow smoothly like water? or will always have rocks in the rapids making it a bumpy and uncomfortable ride.

2. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    How does anyone describe love, it probably got as many different answers as there are people on this earth.

For me personally, I have a really hard time falling in love, or even loving a friend. Sometimes my heart feels like a dead stone, I couldn't care less about anyone except the absolutely closest people, and I can almost count them on one hand. I was even scared I couldn't love someone else, but then life surprised me...
    I'm not even sure how to explain love and how I experience it/believe it to be... I'll give it a go though.

The most basic thing I think is that I wouldn't want to live without this person and would like to spend the rest of my life with him. And is also therefore really scared to lose this person.
    I would put him before myself and my own needs and do anything for that person. And that this person generates strong feelings in general; happiness, longing etc. But on the other hand they can generate strong feelings in the negative direction as well, if it's not going well. There's always the other side of the coin.

Then there are lots of more things really, that could define 'love' for me, but I guess that would make a pretty long list, so I'll keep to the essentials.

And I believe it can be easy in general, I think it's just as with friends or family members, some we get along perfectly with, others.. not so much. And if one does not fit super well, then it's harder and needs a lot of work. But it can still work.
    But there's also those it can be really easy with, of course there will always be bumps in the road, but they wont be as many or might be more easily overcome. But then there's no such thing as the perfect relationship, no fights and all that.

There are things that makes things easier, like having the same values, dreams or goals. And love always involves work, especially if it's going to last for a lifetime, but it doesn't have to be hard. And for some it flows more easily than others. I don't think it can be perfectly smooth, but it doesn't have to be super bumpy either. It all depends on what sort of people are in the relationship, how they solve things and communicate, and what life throws at them.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    Love is a wonderful temporary insanity, delusional and warped, and it usually comes and goes with the tide.

Love is a trick of the mind fueled by hormones and bad poetry.

4. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    How poetic sparrow, I didn't know you had it in you.

5. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    It's the result of a 14 hour shift at work and a second beer before heading off to bed. It's then that the poetry flows like wine, or like goat's piss which is what this beer tastes like. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Silvermune what's going on with these threads?Are you ok?

7. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Hahahaha, I think he's bored xD

8. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    love is nothing more than imagination and complex chemical and hormonical process

9. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Isn't it amazing how the body can create something like that :O

10. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    yeah...it does it so we could reproduce,and would not die as a species .... simple act of survival

11. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    You hear that Silver? it's only for reproduction! xD

Well that is totally correct Anonymous, I just think its a very boring way to look at it. But I guess I have a more romanticized picture of love.

12. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    as any women in the whole world :D I do believe in relationships based on like (it may be deep), but in fact most of relationships after you reach 20, is based on ecanomical good, rather than so called beast - love, and I trully do not believe ever-lasting love, it may be a year or two, but in the end it is just personal appeal, or realization that you can not live without (ecanomical or morally) certain person, or simply you get used to it(to relationship)/him, her

13. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I am fine Foin, hahaha I just got reaaaally bored and haven't really posted much lately so decided to post a few topics I thought would spark interest with people, obviously they're all getting okay feedback from everyone that's all.
    and anonymous that might be true in most cases buuuut I have met people who have been married for 40+ years and you'd guess they were still some high school kids in love with how they behave n all.

14. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Remember though my friend that spamming new threads isn't a solution to boredom! (Forum advice of the day)

Now let's all listen to the song and see Jim Carrey bang his head in a car.

15. Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar Beard Lover

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I've been in a relationship for over a year now, and I still find it hard to define love. And I probably shouldn't try right now, because bf is being a jerk and I'm pissed :p
    Well, at least I can say that love has its ups and downs ;)

16. DarkBlythe

DarkBlythe New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agreed.

But that aside, I've been spending the past few years defining how I think love feels. My own love life is in the toilet right now, but as I'm determined to try to do things right the next time....

I said this to a friend at like 2 a.m., so this isn't set in stone or anything, but it was something kinda like this: If I imagined living my whole life without seeing a certain color (say, pink as an example), I'd be perfectly fine. I know folks who are varying degrees of color-blind, and that doesn't stop them from living happy, fulfilling lives. But suddenly, to be an adolescent or young adult or even senior adult, and being able to find the color pink around me for the first time... it adds something special, unique, and different now. That's what I think being in love is like.

17. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

It's all pink.

To sustain love, than love must turn into a sort of intense special friendship between two people. Love is always in flux, it's the friendship between the ebb and flow of love that supports a romantic relationship.

18. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I think what's very interesting is the concept of six different love styles I found on Wikipedia:

I suppose we all know love is something that's very difficult to define or even describe, but I'd say this concept does make sense. In addition, categorising these abstract concepts which are so hard to define can make it easier to discuss them.
    I don't have much experience with love, or romantic love, but I could classify the kind of love I'm experiencing as storge. So I could only answer Silvermune's question concerning this kind of love.

For me and my significant other, it was different at the beginning, when our friendship turned into a romance. It was rather bumpy, sometimes even painful during the first six months or so, but ever since we've had one serious fight things have been flowing smoothly like water, with only one single rock in the rapids. I course I wish it would stay that way forever, but I can imagine how difficult it is to maintain harmony throughout the years, so I make the best of what I have. But due to the similiarity between the two of us we hardly encounter any serious problems concerning the relationship. :D

But all in all I'd absolutely agree with what Sparrow wrote in his last post.

19. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Erm. Endorphin high?

20. Aatell

Aatell The one who has two minds

The brotherhood of brothers of brothering brotherl
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Everytime ive been in love, I just want to jump and fly idk, also i always get the urge to hug her so hard she ****ing crushes into mush in my arms i dont know why but i know alot of my freinds say the same things