What is art?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Dreamscaper, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    A question that launched another firestorm on DeviantArt due to an abstract piece being put into the limelight on the front page. So I ask you all, what is art?

To me art must meet at least one of the following 3:
    Conveys emotion or meaning
    Takes skill to produce
    Is done in a creative way

Of course, if you didn't create it, it isn't your art at all.

(The picture in question is just like my one 'abstract' piece, otherwise known as the 'oops, i accidently hit the shutter button and took a neat looking picture')

I do not consider photography to be art at all, as much as I love taking pictures. The landscape, the sea, the clouds, the rays of light and other scenery were not my creations, whether you find them to be natural beauties, the creations of mother earth, or the art of God, either way the photographer isn't creating them, but rather storing the image for future reference and admiration. The role is one of a conservator, not one of an artist. Knowing what would look decent in a picture isn't really a part of art, but rather a craft. There is possibly an argument for the post-production side of things since it does take an artist's eye to pick out details to change.

Anyway, just letting out a little steam and an idea. What do you think?

2. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've always been torn on photography myself, after all, it's already there, you didn't make it, you're just taking a photo of it. Is it still art when that's the case? I guess all that post production photoshop stuff counts as art, your taking something and changing it, making it yours. Also if the photographer set up the whole stage of whatever they were shooting before they took the photo then it would be art. If a person takes a photo of a fox though, is that art? They didn't bring that fox into existence, it's not their creation. The fox always existed. I always saw art as being something someone created.

3. GrantCostello

GrantCostello New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree completely with you Dreamscaper. I've been around for a while (believe me), and I've seen art go from good to bad. Modern art appalls me, for it is moving away from legibility and technicality of medium. It seems that anyone who can fill their rectum with paint and fart it on a canvas is considered a world-class artist these days. It sickens me.

Photography is a different story, because the medium never changes. As far as photography is concerned, there are very few rules in regards to what is actually photographed.

Alas, it is an interesting thought.

- Grant

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I don't think you can make a sweeping judgment that Photography isn't art... there are photographers that are artists and photographers that are journalists, and of course photographers who are just photographers.

5. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I think what a person considers to be art is extremely individual. If someone finds meaning in it and enjoys looking at it I think they can call it art. That doesn't mean that I have to call it art however. I don't tend to like extremely abstract stuff at all (I'd rather be looking at photographs actually!). My favourite art is that which captures an image in a realistic or semi-realistic way, bringing it to life for me. It takes an amazing amount of skill to do that.
    I think that photographers demonstrate just as much skill when they practice their craft. Not only the composition of a picture is important but lighting and the technical aspects of camera settings need a high level of expertise as well.

6. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    i disagree on photography, u telling me that spending all day in the blistering heat to get a picture of a bird taking off, or waiting for that exact moment for the light to gleam off the ocean isn't art?

IMO it's more art than some of these pics i've seen where there's just colour sprayed across a page

7. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    What is art, baby don't hurt meee...

Art is very individual, photography (at least good photography) for example takes knowledge, knowing how to use the instrument to take the best pictures possible, which enhances whatever you are taking pictures of.
    Art for me, is something I find beautiful, or something that someone has taken his/hers time on. However, I also believe that everything that is made, is art in some way.

8. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I don't think art should be treated any differently than to music, literature etc. If it is beautiful and it speaks to you, touches you in some way, then it is art.

9. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Photography is as much a form of artistic expression as any other artistic form.

You make the argument that photography is about capturing something that is already there and preserving it, to that I would point out that the majority of photography doesn't look like reality at all. Cameras do no record the world as we see it, they record it as a cameras sees it.

Furthermore they don't record all of the world, they record a tiny segment in time and space of the light present. Choosing that tiny segment and choosing what and how you control the tools (camera + other gear) to get that result is as much a form of artistic expression as composing a song or drawing upon paper.

In addition your argument totally ignores vast areas of photography where the photographer isn't just taking a photo of something that is already there. There are huge varieties in the fields of photography and the opening argument is based upon the concept of a wildlife or landscape photographer working in the most base of conditions (camera alone). It ignores those photographers who paint with light directly - who maybe drag their shutter to introduce blur, or block and add light to focus attention upon specific areas of the photo.
    It's even ignored the use of filters to further adjust the light hitting the camera - a method often used with landscape photography.

Not all photography is art - just as not all sketching is art - but I would argue that photography has as much right to be an art form as other mediums such as painting, drawing, music etc.....

10. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Why does art need to be beautiful to be appreciated?.. isn't ugliness as important as beauty?

There's art that is harsh and raw, and it usually carries more emotion than the fluffy pretty stuff.
    View attachment 8488

11. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I don't mean beautiful in that sense, something 'ugly' can be beautiful to others. It's in the eye of the beholder.

12. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I think everything is art. An artist sees beauty in almost everything. Something so ugly only a mother a can love, can be easily transformed into art. Art to me is something that makes you feel, music, poetry, photography... ALL of the arts are art. Life is art, to some.

13. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Indeed :)

14. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    That would be very close to how I see the world.
    I just differ in that I think there's always an element of ugliness in even the most beautiful of things, and the most ugly of things have an element of exquisite beauty.

15. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    No, I agree completely with that statement.

16. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    is fart an art?

17. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    If you've farted in an artful manner, then perhaps. :D

Oh, and everyone knows that the only true art in this world is comics. ;)

That is all.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  18. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
  19. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Now THAT is an art. A lesser art than comics to be sure, but an art nonetheless. :)

20. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    yeah, I totally agree!!!