What if Robert did not die?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Berserk, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Berserk

Berserk New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What if Robert Baratheon had lived on and kept his realm peaceful until the arrival of Danerys and her army. Would Robert be able to repel the invading queen and her dragons, or would he fail for the first time in his life? I personally believe that if anyone could repel an invading army with dragons that it's Robert, since he's not only a military genius, but he's also the best warrior in Westeros. He could have probably won over Denerys' allies with his charismatic personality. Robert defeated the Targaryens once, so it's not out of reach to assume that he could do it a second time.

2. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Wow...I can't say I regard Robert as the best warrior in Westeros, or a military genius, even at the best of times. Or, indeed, all that much of a charismatic personality anymore. And the last Targaryens didn't have dragons. IMO, Robert would have been obliterated in that situation.

3. Berserk

Berserk New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Robert defeated Rhaegar, who was supposed to be one of the finest warriors of that time. Also, Robert never lost a battle in his entire life, other than the one with the boar ofcourse. Because of that, I consider him to be a military genius. He knew how to gain a victory like Robb Stark, but unlike Robb, he didn't spoil his victories by screwing up the political aspect of his war.

4. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    He was undoubtedly a good warrior, but the best in Westeros? Not with Barristan Selmy, the White Bull and the Sword of the Morning around, IMO. But we don't know how much Robert was involved in the tactical side of battles...was he a military genius, or did he have good commanders? We've never really heard of any fantastic tactical coup of his, that's why I can't regard him as a military genius, I don't see any grounds for it. He wasn't a good politician either, we saw that much in AGOT. To me, that suggests he may well not have been a particularly good tactician either...the two are often related.

5. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Lya always gets to these arguments before I do... *grumble* :p

6. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    lyanna the difference between politics and tactics is where robert shined, I forge the exact detail but wasnt there a day where he won two or three victories at the same time? He was a great warrier in his day and a great general, and godlike in his physical prime.........but he let it go.

The man isnt accustomed to peace so he stagnated. the question is could he pull himself back with the arrival of dany, who knows?

7. Berserk

Berserk New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Robert in his prime would destroy Barristan Selmy in his prime any day of the week. Robert was known for being monstrously strong, and using his weapon of choice, the war hammer, he would have broken up Barristan Selmy's bones while he was still inside his armor. Even Jaime Lannister admitted that Robert was stronger than him, and Jaime is also one of the best fighters. Skill in politics and warfare don't always go hand in hand, as we can clearly see with Littlefinger. He is probably the best political tactician in ASOIAF, but if you were to put him in command of any army, he would fail miserably. Soldiers will not fight for men like Littlefinger, and he is not the brave type who will fight in the front lines like Robert would. Robert was a good enough politician in that he managed to gain allies and win over some of his enemies through his charisma. He also managed to stay King for a decade and a half, which is a lot more than the other Kings after the Targaryens managed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  8. Berserk

Berserk New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Robert is the type of man that thrives in times of war. Like you said, when there's peace, he will let his body go. I'm guessing that the prospect of another war would have excited him enough to lose some weight and get back in the fighting. He wasn't that old when he died remember, he was in his mid-thirties.

9. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    I think the lannisters still would have turned, even if Robert had lived. If they were all together, they could probally win, but even with robert alive, they were ripping apart

10. Berserk

Berserk New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The Lannisters hate the Targaryens.

11. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    What if Robert had lived? .... would have made for a pretty short & boring story ..

"& Robert was injured whilst hunting (he was in a bad mood as the wine he had drunk tasted like wee) but killed the beast manfully, returned to Kings Landing, ate said beast, was nursed back to health by a loving :)eek:) wife. He lived for many more years gradually increasing in girth until he exploded. Before he died he discovered the truth about 'his' children, rung their necks like chickens and ate them as well as Cersei ~ they didn't taste so good. Everyone else was very scared by this and behaved very well." :D

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  12. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Yep, but Jaime also said he'd beat Robert with speed and skill...what's to stop Barristan or the others doing the same?

Also a good enough politician that he never went to meetings of the small council, and allowed Westeros to become almost bankrupt after Aerys had left a treasury practically overflowing with money. He managed to win allies, that's true - it's easy to win allies when you've already won the fight. It didn't take them long to defect to another side when he'd died. They clearly weren't all that loyal to his cause.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Robert himself won those victories (certainly he didn't win two or three victories 'at the same time' :p). I still don't recall anything saying Robert was a great general or tactician.

True...he was undoubtedly a better fighter than he was king, I'm just objecting to the godlike military talent Berserk seems to attribute to him :D.

13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    It was in a stannis chapter, where it accounts robert winning a battle and taking two lords captive, he didnt have thekm killed, instead he feasted them and brefriended them, later they fought and died for the man, thats charisma he ispires faithfulness with, his only flaw was trusting lannisters......he does inspire loyalty, but some people just cant be loyal.

The same thing happened with semly as well.

14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Elladan, you're awesome. :p

And Lya... why is it that you ALWAYS bring up the points I'm going to? :confused:

Cru... I refuse to argue this with you, AGAIN, after wasting only God knows how many PMs that were SEVERAL PAGES in length, even after deleting all previous quotes but the last. Agree to disagree.

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    hey this isnt whether robert was a jackass, we're talking about his positive qualities here, as a warrior general and such.

16. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    His NON EXISTENT positive qualities. ;P

17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    he kicked rhaegars ass and won the damn war, I think that makes him a good general and a good warrior, dont you?

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    The war was won by others, thanks. And Rhaegar was awesome. <3 :(

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    he got his ass kicked by a wife beater.........that aint awesome (in fact it indirectly puts him in the same category as cersei; kinieving bitch)

20. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    ... My brain started bleeding when I tried to link those two illogicalities together.

Cersei and Rhaegar on the opposite ends of the spectrum. As in, Rhaegar kicks ass (<3) and we fangirls all love him, and no one likes Cersei, unless it's a dispassionate "She's necessary to the storyline" thing.