What if magic was an infection?

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Cj_beany, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Cj_beany

Cj_beany New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What if magic was a sort of infection that infected each person differently? Giving them a different ability. But in order to stay alive and strong in a world based on science and technology it makes it's host very strong, super fast, and in need of something (maybe blood) to keep their abilities strong. Though their level of strength changes between powers and level of infection....

Thoughts??

2. L. S. Blades

L. S. Blades Indie Author, The Rings Of The Lords

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If magic is being explained in terms of biology, I would find that over-complicating a very light-hearted concept (that is, 'magic'). In my opinion, if you delve into the biological side of it (especially your suggested 'need for blood', a.k.a. 'vampirism'), then you open up a pandora's box of issues. For example, a theoretical vampire would, if eating another human, infect themselves with whatever deadly/debilitating diseases their victim had. If magic could only be attained via another's blood/infection, it would mean a pandemic of viral issues! Just my humble opinion though ;)

3. Jess Leigh

Jess Leigh Serial Scrawler

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Interesting question!

Well, if it was an infection able to be caught by anyone and I didn’t have it, I wouldn’t need to hear anything more than this before I went into hiding;

That just has trouble written all over it.

4. mahrkpat

mahrkpat New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The whole thing about magic is that it is magical trying to put a scientific reason behind it spoils the enchantment of it. If I remembering correctly they tried to just do that in one of the Star Wars prequel trying to explain what the Force was and that it could be measured in a person to see how strong a user the person is. There was a backlash from the fans and now that particular fact is being eradicated from the Star Wars canon.

5. MattII

MattII Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology" - Anon

The problem with The Force (as well as a number of other forms of magic) is that they're not sufficiently advanced enough, to be explained like that.

I could see this one work, but you'd have to to drop 'it effects each person differently', and give it some major downside, such as sterility or some kind of degenerative condition.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 12:19 PM