What have you made?

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Harrison, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Ess,
    I like the helm. Is it hardened leather or shaped over something? Looks like your body armor pieces are held together with rings much like chain mail. Is that right? Did you also make the belt and pouches?

2. Ess

Ess The Fallen Angel

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The helm was made by sewing 4 pieces on soaked 8-9oz leather and forming it to my head (!). After it has been dried, I put the rivets and studs on a band of 5-6oz leather. It has a lining of velvet inside for more comfort.

The armor has effectively links that connects to each 8-9oz piece of leather, dyed green and riveted. The links are Brass 14g 3/8". It took me a while to finish it, but I'm happy with the way it looks...

I also made the belt, the pouches (except the big one, it's a purse that I've modified a bit!) and almost every part of this costume. The only thing I didn't do is the spaulders. I also made the axe.

Ess.

3. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I made some bracers, but the picture takes up too much room, just check the gallery.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
  4. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    Good job on the vambraces! It appears that you are using laces instead of straps to close them up. Did you use gromets on the punched holes? (You can get gromets at a fabric store. Complete with setting anvils et al. It helps to reinforce the hole so the leather doesn't tear over time.) It also looks like the leather you used is oil tanned. Does it have a slightly waxy feel to it? If so, good choice. Your vambraces will last a long time plus be confortable. You can also use a product called Lexol to clean and condition your vambraces. You can get Lexol in drug stores, usually somewhere near the shoe polish. As you wear your vambraces you will sweat in them. The salts in your sweat will tend to stiffen the leather. Lexol is a great treatment to re-oil the leather while also cleaning it without changing its color.
    As you've done such a fine job on these vambraces, what's your next project? You know, a pouch matching these vambraces would look pretty good!!
    :balrog:

5. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No they don't feel waxy, I used those scraps that I mentioned earlier so I don't really know anything about the leather. Yes I used shoe strings, I don't have any grommets, or any hardware for that matter, I plan on getting some soon. I don't know what I want to do next, maybe just a decorative thing to hang on the wall

6. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    OK, let's move you into the world of leather working because you are off to such a great start here. Young talent should never be wasted! Throw the shoe laces away and buy some LEATHER laces. You can get those in the same place you buy regular shoe laces. For a quick and cheap dye save some coffee grounds or tea leafs. Get the mess wet and burry your laces in them. They will take on the brownish color which will look better than the yellowish color they are when they come from the store. Work them over a rounded corner to soften them. Cost - zip, nada, zero. Your vambraces appear to be made out of two pieces. If right, how about riveting them together? You could do a rivet pattern on them something along the lines of Ess' stuff (see his helm, and patches used to make the body armor, this forum, above). Hey, it's only money and we ARE talking about feeding our passions here! To set the rivets you will only need a hammer and something hard to "set" them on. Brass ones would look cool with your brown leather. If you need a pattern for a pouch let me know. I can post the pattern for my dog pouch (art gallery) or a soft pouch I also make. You could make the soft pouch out of fabric (very medieval) with a leather flap. I make mine all leather. Made one out of deer hide. Ladies come up just to stroke it. Cool!

7. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have the two pieces connected on the sides with small pieces of the shoe string, I meant for them to look like scales. I based them on the three ring bracers seen here: http://www.maspien.com/leather1.html I agree, spots and studs look good and I need to get some, but I meant them to look like that.

8. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    Hey, you did a great job. I'm just throwing some ideas out to you.
    :balrog:

9. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Art House Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Ive made a very simple lace up pair of bracers, along with binding a book and some other thing with leather.