What have you made?

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Harrison, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I was just wondering what you folks have made so far. I'm working on a pair of bracers.

2. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    I've been doing leather working now for over 7 years and specialize in Medieval accessories. My partial list of completed projects includes: vambraces, quivers, archer arm guards, belts - ladies, lords, and wide belts (3 inches to 6 inches), shoes, boots, pouches, tankards (for which I am well known in the SCA kingdom of Trimaris), tokens, gem boxes, messenger bags, vests. Armor includes: gorgets, greeves, archer gloves with attached vambrace, body armor.

Right now I'm working on designing the Legolis quiver. I've got the pattern for his vambraces and will make a pair in the near future. The quiver is the challenge though what with his knifes and bow holder.

3. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Cool, would you mind attaching some pictures of these?

4. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    Not a problem. When I get them up, I'll post here that they are up.

5. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Cool, how about some patterns for vambraces too, I'm just getting into leatherworking and need some guidence.

6. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    I'll post pictures then you tell which ones you are interested in. Then I'll post patterns. OK?

7. sefranox

sefranox New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    uh, im looking forward to that !
    for me, you could post all your patterns :D ! at the moment i have enough leather but not enough time *sigh* ...

8. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    For those interested in my vambraces here is a selection of some. They are all made from the same pattern (which I will post here next, have to scan it first). Simply variations on the theme. These vambraces are suitable for dress or combat as they are made of 8 - 10 oz leather. They were fashioned after vambraces worn by a knight in Trimaris (SCA kingdom of Florida) when he won crown lyst for the second time (gave him the right to be king for six months). The quilting and edge is quit simple. The studs are brass or nickle plated brass (silver) 3/8 inch size. As you can see some are lace and one pair have straps and buckles.

You will be able to notice in one of the pictures a matching belt I made for myself. It has a basket weave pattern (actually more of a basket quilt if that makes sense) with parachute studs. Parachute studs are like the other studs but have a texturing on the surface. There are over 120 studs on that belt. The buckle, keeper, and tip are a Celtic knot pattern. I get lots of complements on this belt. At Pennsic last year I had six people offer to buy it off my body! Made me feel good!

I'll be posting more stuff in another post. (Don't want to overload the system here, plus I need to get pictures.)

9. Kinslayer

Kinslayer Warrior of Rohan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Beautiful work!!!!

10. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    :dragon: Hey folks. For those of you who have been waiting for some pictures of my stuff I've loaded some of them onto the Art Gallery. Go into the Members area and find my name Christophe of Grey. I loaded some sample pictures of my vambraces and tankards. I have one belt up now but will add more in a day or so. I will also load patterns for vambraces on the art gallery site for those that have asked.

If you have any questions regarding construction techniques or methods, just ask. I'm here to help.

11. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Kinslayer,
    More pictures of more stuff up in Art Gallery area. Search for Christophe of Grey.

Comments welcome,

12. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Vambrace patterns

For those who have been waiting I have just posted two of my vambrace patterns in the Art Gallery section under my name. You will probably have to do some sizing and, due to the size of my scanner's bed, you will have to do some minor pattern completing.

I make my patterns out of manilla folder material so I get more than one use out of them. The Bytor pattern is NOT symetrical so you will have to mark one one way, then flip the pattern and mark the second one. This is the pattern I used for all the vambraces you see in the gallery except the ones with the points, triscales, and Celtic knotts on them.

If you need any help with methods, tools, techniques just post here and I'll help as best I can.

Enjoy......more to come in the next few days,

13. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Vambrace dimensions

Gamigar,
    As you are interested in making vambraces I have a request. Measurements: From wrist to elbow, diameter of forearm at wrist, diameter of forearm just below elbow.

I have been asked to make vambraces for folks about your age and thought you may be a good pattern for sizing.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

14. Kinslayer

Kinslayer Warrior of Rohan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great pics Christophe du gris i see why you are famous for tankards!!!

15. iggyp

iggyp New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very nice and inspiring. What tools did you use for the pattern?

16. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the compliment. Your question is a bit broad based question but here goes.
    http://gallery.fantasyvault.net/showphoto.php?photo=224 (White Vine with letter E) This tankard done with swivel knife, smooth beveler (three sizes), and small patterned stipple backgrounders (3 sizes), color - acrylic paint.
    http://gallery.fantasyvault.net/showphoto.php?photo=223 (Celtic knott) Tooling done with swivel knife and beveler. Leather cover and handle hand sewn.
    The tankard with the gryfn on it was done with swivel knife, beveler, and seeder (eyes).
    Vambraces with large quilted pattern (burgundy) - Sharp scribe (pointed awl), scribe lines on. Dividers used for trim border, punch for spot tang holes.
    Vambraces (brown with textured quilt pattern) - Basket weave stamp. Pattern is the central square with texture and radiating points from each corner. Keeping the lines straight is the hardest part!

The edges of the vambraces are burnished to create a smooth edge. I never dye the insides of the vambraces to prevent rub off.

I've got more pictures I've been trying to upload but the art gallery seems to be stuck in the mud - very, v - e - r - y s - l - o - w!!!!! Hopefully I can get the pictures posted soon.

17. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    OK folks. After much ado I have finally been able to post the rest of my sample collection on the Art Gallery. If anyone has any questions about how any of the items you see there were made just ask on the forum and I'll be happy to tell you - to what ever level of detail you desire.

18. new_craftsman

new_craftsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey there.. Great work!

May I ask how a swivel knife works?

19. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    new_craftsman,
    Here is a link to Tandy's special edition swivel knife http://tandyleather.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3505001&variation=&aitem=2&mitem=33. The main reason for using a swivel knife is to get a consistent depth cut for tooling purposes. You hold the knife between your thumb and middle finger with your index finger on top. While holding the tool vertical your index finger provides the down pressure to control the depth of the cut. Your thumb and middle finger rotate the barrel of the tool to follow the curves of the design you are cutting. You can get several types of blades for the knife. Straight blades, angled blades called filigree, and ceramic blades. I like ceramic blades as they stay sharp longer. Filigree blades are used for very sharp curves and delicate work - some Celtic knots for example. You can also get a blade that will cut two parallel lines on one pass. Great for vines and some thin Celtic knot plaits. A swivel knife can be had starting at about $10. Of course you could also get the Al Stolman version (pictured on the site above) for a great deal more. No guarentee your work will look like Al's though!!

One final note - As with ALL your leather working tools (stamping tools excepted) strop the tool on a piece of leather onto which you have rubbed jewelers rouge. You may have to do this several times as you work. This gets rid of all the microscopic burs that form on the surface of the tool. Yes, even ceramic blades. The knife should slide through the leather like the proverbial hot knife in butter. If it's dragging, strop the knife. Leather cutting tools need to be very very very, did I mention VERY, sharp.

20. Ess

Ess The Fallen Angel

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0