What got you into Fantasy reading?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Angel of Chaos, Feb 23, 2006.

1. kathtlea

kathtlea New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got started reading fantasy because of Led Zepplin lol. It was about the time Stairway to Heaven came out and I read in an interview that the band members had used references to The Hobbit and LoTR on that album so I went searching the books out and was hooked.

2. Luce

Luce Invisible Poster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What got me into fantasy was the fact that I was always alone, I never had many friends growing up because I had adhd and when it first came out people didn't know how to perceive me. I was always the freak show and growing up I made myself stand out with multi-colored hair and piercings. (Then again I still have them!! :p) One day a friend gave me a book, Armand by Ann Rice and I got started from there. Since that day I have read non fantasy as I like to keep an open mind but when ever I am in a book store, its the fantasy part that has me locked for hours. I guess I like that I could delve into another world and not feel so out of place.

3. Fabled_Tales

Fabled_Tales Middle Earth Ewok

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My dad :) My dad didn't do the, its ok to believe in faeries until your a certain age. My dad encouraged me to keep believing in the fantastical even through highschool and beyond. So I got into fantasy reading cause I can sort of "live" the worlds I dream about :)

4. braennan

braennan New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would have to say playing RPG's with my NES, Dragon Warrior, Zelda, Final Fantasy. After that i got my hands on the Dragonlance Chronicles which was the first fantasy book i read.

5. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    When I was small, I hated reading, so until the age of nine, my parents would read me a story in the evenings. One day my dad got this book out and told me I would like it. The book was the Hobbit. I loved it, and tried to read Eragon (that had just come out). I loved it (I was only nine) and went on to other books. But what really got me into fantasy was "The Lord of the Rings" (that I read when 11 to 12).
    Nowadays, if you see me without a book, I must be mad.

6. OverLich

OverLich New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My parents read me the hobbit and then the lord of the rings, and as a kid the illustrations in my mythology book and on magic cards really captivated me(even thought I couldn't even play). What really got me into fantasy lit were two really cool bookstores near my house, They both had all kinds of dusty old fantasy books that I could by with my allowance, my parent's knew the owner too, so sometimes I got freebies :D

I read a lot as a kid but I stopped reading for a while untill I entered highschool, I was kind of an outcast there, but I had one good friend from before and we would always play D&D during lunch and share good fantasy books with each other, we still do.

7. A Soul So Dark

A Soul So Dark Advocatus Diaboli

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The Book of Lost Tales 1. Someone bought it for me as a birthday present when I was a kid and it blew me away. I can't say I fully understood its nuances at that age, but it was a primary influence on my literary tastes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. Zziz

Zziz New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I can't say for sure, but I might guess reading The Hobbit in 5th grade played a large part in it.