What got you into Fantasy reading?

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Angel of Chaos, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar Beard Lover

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    My dad read The Hobbit to me when I was a kid. Then he read The Belgariad, and I completely fell in love with the fantasy worlds. -I also loved, and still do, comics a lot. And I guess that helped a little as I read a lot of Conan the Barbarian and other fantasy-like comics.

2. Nomina Sunt Odiosa

Nomina Sunt Odiosa The Red under your bed...

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    That bloody Baggins dude got me hooked. I soon realised how badly written the Hobbit was and moved on to more substantial fare. I'm just glad it didn't put me off reading the Lord of the Rings, which absolutely blew me away when I read it. Thank you, Mr. Tolkien. You atoned for that monstrosity with a true classic.

3. witchwolf

witchwolf New Moon, Old Soul

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth moon, was in the library with a friend and she was getting books and I thought why not get one too, saw the sheep farmers daughter read the back and was hooked from the first few pages never looked back and its still one of my all time favs!

4. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Apart from all the childrens books that are kinda fantasy, I think I started out with "The Hobbit" by J.R.R Tolkien. Really that's the first fantasy book I remember reading and it's one of the best as well^^

5. sipaca

sipaca A Silcicle

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Breaking of the Fellowship by Tolkien
    and
    Shadow Dawn by Chris Claremont/George Lucas

6. Darkhorse

Darkhorse New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Guys,

Virgin-Post---

My dad read me Waylander by Gemmell when I was a kid and I loved it.

Was hooked and never looked back :)

7. Aatell

Aatell The one who has two minds

The brotherhood of brothers of brothering brotherl
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i got myself into it when i was younger and i used immagination alot like prenteding and stuff then i got older so i quit and i read books because nomatter how old you are you can read the text and make a picture of it in your mind

8. PD Allen

PD Allen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Lord of the Rings.

9. tvbeckyuk

tvbeckyuk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would say that the Narnia books got me into fantasy as a child but as an adult it was the Teery Brooks story The sword of Shannara

10. Scared of Sheep

Scared of Sheep New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Asimov, oddly enough. I started out reading nothing but sci-fi and then cast my net further in search of something decent to read.:D

11. Shota

Shota New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It started a bit with the first Harry Potter book when I was almost eleven, and I just thought it was all right. After the second HP book, I think, my dad had found the first book in the Sword of Truth on a sale, and I was immediately sold on the fantasy-concept. From then on the HP books only got better, and as I got older I could pick up the books in English, and before the LotR-films came out my mum made me read those books, and really - now there is no way back XD

12. Window Bar

Window Bar "We Read for Light"

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My grandfather gave me "The Hobbit" because he had enjoyed it so much. "The Lord of the Rings quickly followed.
    This was in the 60's. There was far less availability then, but "Dune" existed, as did "Stranger in a Strange Land" and all of C.S. Lewis. I was doomed.

13. Maia Jacomus

Maia Jacomus New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My chain of events was like this:

--3/4 years old: Disney movies
    led to
    --reading only fairy tales and mythology from the nonfiction section of the library until I was about 10 or 11
    led to
    --breaking out into other genres and other fantasy-related books

I think the first non-fairy tale/mythology book I remember reading is "Fairy Rebel" by Lynn Reid Banks. Absolutely love it; I still read it once in awhile.

14. wdwinterfang

wdwinterfang New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I started on the Hobbit at the age of 7 and then moved on to LotR from there it was just a natural progression to the rest of the fantasy genre...

I do read non fantasy every now and then though mostly stuff by Tom Clancy or John Grisham...

15. ScreenXSurfer

ScreenXSurfer Better Than You

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Forgotten Realms and Warhammer (I played Drow/Dark Elves in both, ironically). R.A. Salvatore, who I recognized from his star wars novels, drew me into his Drizzit series which I found highly enjoyable. Then, dipping into the fluff of Warhammer, I discovered Gotrex and Felix, Thanquol (LOL), and Malus Darkblade, who is the baddest mother****er to ever be written about. Sorry Jules, but Malus is more bad than you.

After that, I started looking for more Fantasy. Picked up and enjoyed the Hobbit, but lord was Lord of the Rings a struggle for me. Didn't touch any Tolkein after that trilogy. After that I just chose books based on off-the-cuff comments about what's "good" and not.

16. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    For me it was "Into the Labyrinth" by Weis and Hickman. I loved being taken into a whole other world and after that I was hooked on fantasy completely. Now it's all I read with few exceptions :D

17. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was primed by the Disney classics and old adventure movies. I read the Grimms as soon as I could read, discovered myths, read anything I could find about King Arthur or Robin Hood.

When I was 10, my college-student uncle was babysitting. I was watching TV, while he was at the kitchen table preparing a reading for a speech class. It was the Riddles in the Dark scene from The Hobbit. I went into the kitchen and sat there listening to him practice this reading. When he was done, I asked him what book this was from, that I wanted to read it. "Oh, it's for older kids than you, it's too advanced," and he wouldn't tell me the title. He did, however, loan me Lloyd Alexander's Prydain books (Book of Three, etc.).

It's all been downhill from there!:p

18. halfbloodprince

halfbloodprince halfbloodprince

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to say various Fantasy movies and TV shows first drew my interest, but The Hobbit was probably one of my earliest Fantasy reads. That's what did it for me.

19. Minion

Minion New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was probably what first got me interested in fantasy. As for books, I would say His Dark Materials. I wasn't much of a reader before I found the series, but after the first one I was hooked.

20. Elfly

Elfly New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It was The Hobbit for me, my Mum's copy, which I read when I was 9, and then I moved on to her copy of Lord of The Rings but she helped me through it ;) I used to read a lot of Diana Wynne Jones when I was a little 'un, and somehow fantasy even now just takes me back to feeling safe & inspired & happily lost in another world :)